Thread: Does in-game anisotropic filtering even work?

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Does in-game anisotropic filtering even work?

When I was messing around with settings I noticed there was no difference between trilinear filtering and 16x anisotropic, but when I used Nvidia Inspector to force 16xAF it worked in the game and distant textures were crisper. Another thing I noticed is there's only like a 1-2 FPS difference between ultra and low shadows, but a large FPS increase if you turn shadows off completely. Maybe these problems will be fixed in the upcoming graphics patch?

Default Re: Does in-game anisotropic filtering even work?

I have an ATI card. I found 16X anisotropic made quite a big difference over trilinear. But the hugest difference for me was enabling morphological filtering (sort of like AA but whole of screen) and WOW! Goodbye jaggies.

I didn't notice any FPS hit with anisotropic, but I got about a 15% hit with the morpho.

nightwar's Avatar Ducenarius

Weird when i try that with my 5870 i see nothing changed at all. Except my unit markers/firing line's disperse

Quote Originally Posted by Ecka65 View Post
    I have an ATI card. I found 16X anisotropic made quite a big difference over trilinear. But the hugest difference for me was enabling morphological filtering (sort of like AA but whole of screen) and WOW! Goodbye jaggies.

I didn't notice any FPS hit with anisotropic, but I got about a 15% hit with the morpho.
    wheres morphological at? catalyst control panel?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xsvspitfire - NEW VIDEOS UPLOADED DAILY
    Featuring Videos of: BF3, Bastion, Skyrim, Starcraft 2 & World In Conflict
    Hd 7850 2Gb
    Phenom II x3 4.0GHz
    8Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Blom89 View Post
    wheres morphological at? catalyst control panel?
    Correct.

Through "Advanced" I couldn't get it to work. I tried "Basic" - GPU's for dummies - and got AA to work. But then lost water, black holes on screen etc. But through basic Morpho took hold and viola!