Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Defunct Ab Urbe Condita Thread (from TE Gold)

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Ab Urbe Condita (for TE Gold 0.7)

It is with RTW 1.5

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Sorry lads, just back after a weekend of camping! Climbed the highest mountain in Ireland (and near broke my bloody ankle on the way down) but was a good weekend =D

And aye, the mod was made using RTW 1.5

New update soon: v1.4 will address a few more AI tweaks and changes to the descr_strat file

I've also noticed that theres been a few downloads now, yet no feedback. I would appreciate a little feedback (especially regarding game stability), so that I can take steps to improve the gameplay for you lot =P

I had problems with night battles,it seems like daylight. I see no stars unlike before.

I have not played a full campaign to check many things,so sorry for no feedback yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    I had problems with night battles,it seems like daylight. I see no stars unlike before.

I have not played a full campaign to check many things,so sorry for no feedback yet.
    Thanks, I'll look into it again. That bloody daytypes file is gonna be the bane of this mod I tell yeh >_>

I tried again and it worked,albeit I removed the files descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control1 and descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control_HDR. The game was dark so I went to the old TE daylight file and seems better?

A texture for the levy phalangites is wrong. Lusted renamed a Numidian texture as a macedonian heh. UNIT_GREEK_HOPLITE_MACEDON.TGA,is an unknown Numidian! I have a wierd Baktrian pike unit,somehow using a numidian texture???

I tried again and it worked,albeit I removed the files descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control1 and descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control_HDR. The game was dark so I went to the old TE daylight file and seems better?

A texture for the levy phalangites is wrong. Lusted renamed a Numidian texture as a macedonian heh. UNIT_GREEK_HOPLITE_MACEDON.TGA,is an unknown Numidian! I have a wierd Baktrian pike unit,somehow using a numidian texture???
    Don't worry about the names; the mods I took some of the units from were from different factions (eg. Baktrian Agema = Bronze Shields of Pontus in another mod!).

But in the battle itself are there any graphics glitches or any strange problems?

Found a problem,

te greek elaphra pikemen is placed for Baktria,but nothing in EDU or EDB,so causes texture mix up(the numidian kicks in). You need the greek_pezhetairoi used by greek factions again,I think better.

Have to use the Zeus tool I think to double check.

Found a problem,

te greek elaphra pikemen is placed for Baktria,but nothing in EDU or EDB,so causes texture mix up(the numidian kicks in). You need the greek_pezhetairoi used by greek factions again,I think better.

Have to use the Zeus tool I think to double check.
    But the elaphra pikes are disabled for Baktria..... they're not supposed to be used in Custom Battles or the campaign. Its not a bug unless it directly affects your campaign game or your custom battles mate. Dont worry about the scripting or the txt files.
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; May 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

Minardil's Avatar Libertus

Hello Xenophon!
    At first I want to say that your overhaul is definitely a superb kind of modding and I don't want to imagine the time and effort that you have spent into it!
    How the curvature of the earth spawns from Iberia to even the edge of Afghanistan and the fact that the worldmap appears in a fawn to grey colour when it is undiscoverd is amazing. Also a treasure of the mod are the magificent unit cards, they give a very authentic feel to me that let me travel into the past of mankind. And last but not least: The new Battle map landscape! It is a pure pleasure to fight in them! The oversized trees of Rome TW vanilla are now forgotten. Thanks!
    As far as I discovered your mod, there is nothing to criticize.
    Personally I only Have balancing Problems: (when you are argue about people who like to complain about strong units the following text might be upset you a bit, but I have read your Instructions carefully and saw your warning about the Unit stats and liked it)
    I started a campaign as the Roman Empire and I am going mad when I try to defeat the Kingdom of Epirus. When your time allows it please give me some tipps in countering war elephants and superior Hoplites, and super heavy cavalry against mostly principes, archers and some bodyguard units.
    so far I have done quite good: (ca. Turn 15: I have captured Genua, Tarentum, Scodra and Messana. I also besiege Croton. My main strategy was to pressure Epirus out of Italy as soon as possible and then to hold them at bay with my navy. But this doesnt worked cause I cant defeat their full stack near Tarentum. Meanwhile I boosted my economy up (ports, and Shrines and Temples of Ceres are a must). Carthago and the Seleucid Empire will become superpowers sooner or later I guess.

all the best Minardil
    Last edited by Minardil; July 14, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Modfoldered? Stand-alone (meaning not a submod for TE)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlade View Post
    Modfoldered? Stand-alone (meaning not a submod for TE)?
    Yes, this is a stand alone mod for RTW (you dont need TE Gold). However it maintains a lot of core files from TE Gold, which is why I'm listing it as a submod =P

Quote Originally Posted by Minardil View Post
    Hello Xenophon!
    At first I want to say that your overhaul is definitely a superb kind of modding and I don't want to imagine the time and effort that you have spent into it!
    How the curvature of the earth spawns from Iberia to even the edge of Afghanistan and the fact that the worldmap appears in a fawn to grey colour when it is undiscoverd is amazing. Also a treasure of the mod are the magificent unit cards, they give a very authentic feel to me that let me travel into the past of mankind. And last but not least: The new Battle map landscape! It is a pure pleasure to fight in them! The oversized trees of Rome TW vanilla are now forgotten. Thanks!
    As far as I discovered your mod, there is nothing to criticize.
    Personally I only Have balancing Problems: (when you are argue about people who like to complain about strong units the following text might be upset you a bit, but I have read your Instructions carefully and saw your warning about the Unit stats and liked it)
    I started a campaign as the Roman Empire and I am going mad when I try to defeat the Kingdom of Epirus. When your time allows it please give me some tipps in countering war elephants and superior Hoplites, and super heavy cavalry against mostly principes, archers and some bodyguard units.
    so far I have done quite good: (ca. Turn 15: I have captured Genua, Tarentum, Scodra and Messana. I also besiege Croton. My main strategy was to pressure Epirus out of Italy as soon as possible and then to hold them at bay with my navy. But this doesnt worked cause I cant defeat their full stack near Tarentum. Meanwhile I boosted my economy up (ports, and Shrines and Temples of Ceres are a must). Carthago and the Seleucid Empire will become superpowers sooner or later I guess.

all the best Minardil
    Thanks very much for your kind words mate =D

- Epirus can be beaten if you can pin their phalanxes down. What I tend to do is offer battle within the 1st few turns with the army out of Rome itself; use my archers to terrify their elephants and then my triarii to beat their cavalry. Finally I use my Equites to outflank the phalanx and rout them utterly =P
    The whole toughness of combat with Pyrrhus was meant to reflect history - in antiquity Pyrrhus managed to rout the Romans several times with his invasion force! Just keep on spamming principes and you will eventually steamroll through them =P

I've made tweaks to ensure the Seleucid AI doesnt get too powerful (as I noticed this in earlier releases). At the start of the game they will be at war with Parthia and the Baktrians; as far as I know, they usually lose all their land east of Babylon itself to the Parthians, therefore keeping them in check (and being historically accurate to a degree =P).

Carthages AI is totally random. I've seen games where Carthage have conquered Spain and gone on to invade Egypt and Italy (successfully). On the other hand I have seen them get steamrolled by Numidia (who I have also tweaked to make their light infantry tougher ^_^). It just depends on luck =P

Although this mod to a good degree focuses on the power of the Diadochi phalangites, there is still advantages and disadvantages to the phalanx =P. When you get the Marian reforms you should be able to fight far more effectively against the Greeks. After all, historically the early Roman armies weren't particularly good or disciplined; they used their massive resources and numbers to conquer Carthage! =P
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; July 19, 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Allright lads, got a major update for you!

I have finally fixed the descr_daytypes crash; the game should now have most (if not all) stability issues fixed.

In addition, I have added the water textures from RSII to the map, further enhancing its look. I've also redone a lot of the Carthaginian and Roman units (including the generals and their models on the campaign map). Theres also a lot of other changes, too many to mention at the minute!

So stick around for 1.4; hoping to have it released tonight or tomorrow =)

Version 1.4's up; includes massive bugfixes and changes to the game. Have a look and let me know what you lads think!

And now version 1.5's up; just added a few more mercenary units and revamped the Greek City States. Also added new backdrop and loading screens. Enjoy!

Where can we d/l vs 1.5 and the 1.4 is not there???

Sorry about that mate! Download links fixed now =)

There are probs in desc_strat,ie a port is in wrong location,and Taras is near baktria? Please check. I still have probs with baktrian phalanx,elephra given to them with wrong texture.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast