Thread: retreat

Default retreat

Wouldn't t be great to see an retreat/pull back feature.
    Instead of slodiers running away with their backs turned, it would be good if infanry units could slowly back off while in combat, walking slowly backwards and holding up their sheilds.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

I would also like to see a "reform the line" feature, That way you can select all your units on the front line and form them back into something that resembles a line. Meaning people behind will hack and slash aggressivley to get into the line position and the people ahead will slowly become defensive to pull into line shape.

Drunken's Avatar Semisalis

Id like to see a way to retreat completely from the field before the armies meet.

In the SPQR mod (not sure if it happens in vanilla) the enemy army sometimes just walks/ runs from the field before your armie is even close to them. Id like to be able to do that in MTW2.

For example, im besieging a town. I press the button to fight the battle personally, but then I change my mind about attack (maybe I didnt look to see what troops the enemy had and I now doubt my chances). In this case I think my army should be able to just walk off the field with out having to fight.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings"

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

Id like to see a way to retreat completely from the field before the armies meet.
    can't you just select all units and click the "rout" button in RTW?

Drunken's Avatar Semisalis

That would take all your units off of the field, but when the score sheet thing at the end comes up does it say that some of your men have been killed ? or does it count as a draw ?

If you just tell it to quit the battle, during a campaign, you loose men (presumably because you were chased down by the enemy).

Its a good point though... i havnt tried just routing off the field.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings"

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken516

In the SPQR mod (not sure if it happens in vanilla) the enemy army sometimes just walks/ runs from the field before your armie is even close to them. Id like to be able to do that in MTW2.

For example, im besieging a town. I press the button to fight the battle personally, but then I change my mind about attack (maybe I didnt look to see what troops the enemy had and I now doubt my chances). In this case I think my army should be able to just walk off the field with out having to fight.
    You can. Just select all your units and click the rout button and they retreat with no surprise casualties at the end. But you can't do this if on the campaign map your army has no more movement points and you get that skull on your army when you decide to fight the battle yourself or not.

And I completely agree Saradain. Would be awesome if those huge battles could play out in phases.

Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by LordSaradain
    Instead of slodiers running away with their backs turned, it would be good if infanry units could slowly back off while in combat, walking slowly backwards and holding up their sheilds.
    Sounds like a great idea LordSaradin
    I have always missed some tactical manouvers in battles and this would be a great feature

yes, then we can use some real tactics.

look at cheronea (i know i butchered the spelling) , phillip had one of his flanks slowly pull-back, the greeks thought they were retreating and pursued, this opened up a gap for phillips companions with alexander to come through and smash the rest of the greek army

in RTW if we tried that, we'd get our units slaughtered because they'd run or walk away, with their backs facing the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by LordSaradain
    walkin backwards is tough. but when u have a sword and sheild with alof of ppl around u and on uneven through long grass u will mostlikly fall over quite alot and get tired alot so i dont think this strategy is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewan
    walkin backwards is tough. but when u have a sword and sheild with alof of ppl around u and on uneven through long grass u will mostlikly fall over quite alot and get tired alot so i dont think this strategy is possible.

Think its possible or not, listed above in mike^_^'s post, you listed a historically accurate example.

It has been done countless times in history as an effective tactic.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Wow...just imagine the AI trying to cope with that being done on it. It'd probably just drop their swords and claim "not playing anymore"

I'd love to see it included all the same.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zarekk
    Think its possible or not, listed above in mike^_^'s post, you listed a historically accurate example.

It has been done countless times in history as an effective tactic.
    all Mike said was they pulled back and it is far quicker to turn round and walk normally ( u can turn around again when the enermy is closing in)
    also ive noticed that the TW units have a tendancey to like to stay in one spot ( like the forward ppl always stay forward, so if ur turned ur troops round, the whole army has to rotate 180 instead of simply facing the other way

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^
    yes, then we can use some real tactics.

look at cheronea (i know i butchered the spelling) , phillip had one of his flanks slowly pull-back, the greeks thought they were retreating and pursued, this opened up a gap for phillips companions with alexander to come through and smash the rest of the greek army

in RTW if we tried that, we'd get our units slaughtered because they'd run or walk away, with their backs facing the enemy
    yap I agree totally. to add to this it it WAS done as some put it countless times. take 1066 Hastings battle when normans imitated slow rout to draw saxons from the hill. anyway this feature would add more of a tactics to MII TW. and that was a huge lack in all previuos games.
    but as always it comes to bad AI in the end... CA please scan a brain of some general and put it as AI

Vicarius

Maybe not every infantry units should be able to do it. Only the ones who are well trained and diciplined, I can`t imagine some peasents given a spear and shield and then trown into war without training being able to do this tactic. At least not so very succesfully.

I agree with mathias and Giurza ; a organised retreat could turn the battle or could save a lot of lifes -
    But is it a "lost" then .
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra? quam diu etiam furor iste tuus nos eludet? quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia?

Civis

This feature would be great! CA you better be reading this thread! lol

It would add a whole new aspect to the game finall being able to actually encircle enemies without making your units run around the enemy, just simply allow your center to yield ground and slowly the enemy is drawn in while your sides move around them and meet at the enemies rear. Hey there's a thought what if CA introduced a yield button and you could click it then click on the battle map, and this point would be the point up to which your unit would gradually and orderly give ground.

“You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.”
    Aristotle

Diomedes was
    formely Graccus

all Mike said was they pulled back and it is far quicker to turn round and walk normally ( u can turn around again when the enermy is closing in)
    also ive noticed that the TW units have a tendancey to like to stay in one spot ( like the forward ppl always stay forward, so if ur turned ur troops round, the whole army has to rotate 180 instead of simply facing the other way
    Heard of a fighting retreat? It was around before the invention of gunpowder.
    Consider an army retreating across a bridge, with some men detailed to hold the enemy and slowly pull-back to the bridge.
    You really dont think they would swing their weapon, then turn around and sprint 10 yards then turn around again do you?
    No they would slowly edge backwards while holding the enemy at bay.

Admittedley most rear guards didn't work this way, they fought off one attack, then retreat a bit, then fight again. but the very idea that men cannot walk backwards and fight at the same time is ridiculous.
    CA would only need to add penalties for units walking backwards on rough terrain to simulate your mentioned difficulties.

Vicarius

yes it is much quicker to turn and run, but that gets really bad results if the enemy has cavalry.