Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 Converter for Esf, Db , Loc and Unit_Variant files.....(Last update 30/03)

Default Shogun 2 Converter for Esf, Db , Loc and Unit_Variant files.....(Last update 30/03)

Shogun2 Total War Converter

Since Taw's converters are the most reliable tools for modding Shogun2 (at least for the moment), I made a window application for his esf, db and loc converters. In this way users that do not feel comfortable with cmd window can easy make their conversions. To make things easy and practical I simplified some procedures, making S2C more friendly than the one I've made for Empire but not less powerful. Since S2C actually generate console programs, it freezes during conversion (like Esf Editor freezes when saves) but this is normal, conversion is executed in the background.

Installation:

S2C itself does not need any installation. Download Shogun2 _ Converter.zip and extract it on your desktop. From the extracted S2C folder just copy Shogun2 Converter folder where ever you like, make a short cut of the exe file on your desktop and you are good to go. But since Taw's converters are made in JRuby scripting language you have to install it in your computer. Those of you who already use Taw's converters in console mode you do not need to do the following:

I suppose that you have Java installed already but if you are not sure go here and check. It is just 13 MB download. Now, in S2C you'll find a JRuby folder which contains 1.6.0 version for Windows. You have to install it.

2. After JRuby has been installed successfully in the Batch folder in S2C and run both batch files you'll find in there. It will take a couple of seconds each. Now you are ready to start converting.

Special Thanks to TAW for his contribution in modding

Changes log:

v. 1.1

* Unit_variant to Txt conversion added.
    * Text box added showing the user's current path selection.

1. Esf To Xml

Press Esf2Xml to button , browse and select the file you want converted. You can choose any esf file. After conversion xml(s) will be placed in Xml Folder which will open automatically.
    To convert back to Esf make sure that your xml(s) ar in Xml Folder, press Esf2Xml button and get your converted file from ESF Folder which will be opened automatically. For make things easier, the name of the converted file will be startpos.esf no matter what was its original name. Rename it back if you have to (e.g. in case it s a regions.esf file).

2. Db To TSV

Before start Converter, extract the db file(s) with PFM. Files will be extracted full path. That means that if you choose to extract units, you'll find db\units_table\units file. You can extract multiply files or whole db.

Start Converter and press Db2Tsv. Select your db folder that contains the extracted file(s). Tsv(s) will be found in Tsv Folder (db). To convert back, make sure that your Tsv(s) are in Tsv Folder, press Tsv2Db and get your new db files from Db Folder. Before editing your TSV(s) look below in Editing TSV(s).

3. Loc To Tsv

Press Loc2Tsv button and select the loc file you want converted. You can convert one file at a time. Your converted Tsv will be found in Tsv Folder (loc). Make your changes and after you are sure that they are back in Tsv Folder (loc) press Tsv2Loc to convert then to loc files. Get your new files from Loc Folder.
    Before editing your TSV(s) look below in Editing TSV(s).

4. Unit_Varian To Txt

Press Var2Txt button and select the *.unit_variant file you want converted. Your converted variant will be found in Txt Folder.
    Make your changes and press Txt2Var to convert it back from txt to unit_variant. Get your new file from Variant Folder.

Important:

Editing TSVs: TSV made by Taw conversions cannot be edited straight by a spread sheet but only by a text editor. Hpwever i found a trick to bypass that. See here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...22#post9276922

Have in mind that in every new conversion, files from previous conversions are deleted. On the other hand you do not have to make a full circle of a conversion before you use it again. If for example you are converting esf to xml you do not have to make xml to esf before you use again esf converter. You can open Xml Folder, copy your xml(s ) for later use in a safe place and proceed to make another conversion. Whenever you have finished editing the first xml(s) you've kept for later use in a safe place, copy them back to Xml Folder and go straight for xml2esf conversion. The same flexible way you can work with all converters.

Taw's converters are under development and that means that they cannot, for example, convert all db tables so keep an eye for updates because no doubt he will complete them!

Updates:

Since Shogun2 Converter is based and includes Taw's cmd converters, have a look at his threads for the futures of converters, news, updates etc. If you want to update the program with the latest Taw's files, download them from Taw's thread and copy the files in the appropriate folder of Shogun2 Converter, replacing existing files.

Last edited by husserlTW; April 01, 2011 at 05:40 AM.

Default Re: Shogun 2 Converter for Esf, Db abd Loc

Nice work !!

it's missing is the link ^^

Artifex
    Patrician

Big congratulations.

Thank nice very nice !

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

Do we still have to hex edit to mod?

vermicious knid's Avatar Ducenarius

Colour me stupid, but I downloaded, extracted, copied, shortcutted, installed jruby for 64-bit os, ran both batch files, clicked shortcut to run and recieved a windows application 1 has stopped working message and then nothing ... any thoughts?

Is it working fo Windows XP ?

Smirk's Avatar Libertus

' downloaded, extracted, copied, shortcutted, installed jruby for 64-bit os, ran both batch files, clicked shortcut to run and recieved a windows application 1 has stopped working message and then nothing'.........

Same with me.

Win7 64

Uninstalled and deleted, made a second attempt - just to make sure the problem wasn't on my end, same result. Awaiting further instructions.

I use Win 7 x 64 so the program was made under this OS. Did you try to run it as administrator? Have you make a short cut of the right file? Did you try to execute the exe itself than its short cut?

I use Windows 7 64-bit also, made a third attempt - ran everything as administrator, same result windows application 1 has stopped working ... odd.

Edit: Ran the .exe and shortcut ... no dice.

Edit: I'm not tech savvy, but attempted to re-install with norton firewall and and anti-virus off ... no dice. Would the .net framework version make a difference? Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 Extended?
    Last edited by vermicious knid; March 27, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Ok well done husserl, TAW and all others who have made this possible and I will give it a go, but where is Just and Alpaca to help out with a working PFM??

Has anyone else installed successfully? or are Smirk and I the only ones experiencing install problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    ' downloaded, extracted, copied, shortcutted, installed jruby for 64-bit os, ran both batch files, clicked shortcut to run and recieved a windows application 1 has stopped working message and then nothing'.........

Same with me.

Win7 64
    Quote Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
    Colour me stupid, but I downloaded, extracted, copied, shortcutted, installed jruby for 64-bit os, ran both batch files, clicked shortcut to run and recieved a windows application 1 has stopped working message and then nothing ... any thoughts?
    Yep, me too!! created desktop icon and ran as administrator after installing Ruby and launching the two Batch files??
    Windows has stopped working blah blah blah....?

Can anybody upload converted original files here? It would be perfect!

Hey guys can you post the error message? If you extend the details you can just copy paste.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Hey guys can you post the error message? If you extend the details you can just copy paste.
    After it stops working it says "windowsApplication 1 has stopped working" then screen just closes? so not possible to give you error message, sorry

yeah same error here, i use windows 7 x64 so it's the same as yours...going to try restarting after jruby install and see if that works...

EDIT: well that didn't help any. also running from exe or shortcut makes no difference.
    Last edited by madpluck; March 27, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

I confirm the problem I tried it in another PC. It seems that it runs only in my machine.....windows... !!!

Sorry folks I'll check it further...

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast