Thread: Question about the cultures

Ahmose's Avatar Libertus

Default Question about the cultures

At first, I must say thanks for every one who involved in this awesome project..thanks from my heart to make RTW much better.
    My question is why you switched the cultures of the varios factions in the modding part. I mean a faction like Numidia when be replaced for example by a barbarian one, so, in the game we see the carthaginian theme over that faction. However, a faction like Carthage is replaced by another one and Carthage itself replaced with a third one. So, why you did this?? did you faced a some kind of problem forced you to do that??
    I am not complaining but a question from a modding view.

Thanks.
    Now playing and modding for Chivalry Total War Mod although I got Medieval II Total War...

yeah, its kinda odd when you see egyptian buildings in Carthage, or Greek building in Rome. I understand that the Roman culture was given to Seleucia, Bactria and Armenia because of the whole alliacne thing, but why was Carthage switched?

I also have to say, even with all the bugs and ctds this is the way RTW should ahve been made!! Great job EB team!

It was all based on the slots that the culture groups consisted of. 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, and 6 (I believe). We kept the barbs in the 6 slot, made the old roman one into the seleukid empire and tributaries, kept eastern as eastern/steppe, made carthage into the one slot, pontos/ptolemies into the 2 slot, and the graeco-romans into the 4 slot. There was lots of discussion and no one was totally happy probably, but we did the best we could with it. We thought a port to 1.5 would take away all problems anyway as you are much freer with culture slots there, but we are having big problems trying to port right now - or I am I'll say and I'm not getting a lot of help. Hopefully the culture slots will be better for 1.5. But that's it for now - we can't change it for the time being.

all this talk of eb porting recently, there will still be a patch released for the open beta correct?

Yeah. I wish it would go ahead and get released. I did some testing and played thirty years as epeiros this weekend and didn't have a CTD (except for when I fought an enemy with reinforcements - and I knew going in that that is one of the only ctd problems we still have that we are aware of). Someone else played a lot this weekend as Ptolemies and had no ctds at all.

Don't hold your breath for the port anytime soon though. It's still on the agenda, but I've had enough failures with it and unresponsiveness that for my part I don't have a lot of hope unless someone takes time to explain how some things can be done I've had problems with.

Ahmose's Avatar Libertus

Thanks Teleklos Archelaou for clearing my view :original: . Because I want to benifit from other modders problems they faced in such large project lik EB. Anyway, converting or porting to 1.5 isn't important as most players enjoy EB..of course a patch is better than waiting to port it, from my side at least .

Edit: I have another question. While playing with the Armenians, forgot thier in-game name, you stated the cavalry with javielns as skirmisher cavalry. How did you manage to change that??
    As far as I now, they can be stated as light, meduim, heavy and missile cavalry!
    Which file you altered to make such thing??!

Thanks for answering my question.
    Last edited by Ahmose; February 14, 2006 at 04:49 PM.
    Now playing and modding for Chivalry Total War Mod although I got Medieval II Total War...