Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternate History - The US forgoes the use of atomic weapons and invades Japan in 1945.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Alternate History - The US forgoes the use of atomic weapons and invades Japan in 1945.

In this scenario the US would not use any atomic weapons, due either to production problems or technological setbacks. So in the fall of 1945 the US Army, Navy, and Marines begin massing for an assault on Japan itself.

The Codename for this operation was "DownFall". The Japanese defense plan was "Ketsugo".

Besdies the obvious slaughter that would ensue, what other political ramifications would this event entail. How would the invasion itself effect postwar politics in the Pasific and surrounding areas, the rest of the world?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Vezon's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Alternate Histroy - The US forgoes the use of atomic weapons and invades Japan in 1945.

Well, I think the US might have been much harsher. Bitterness would have run high. And with the enourmous casualties, who knows how the Korean War would have turned out, if it happened at all? Japan would, at best, be delayed by 15 years from becoming what they are now.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Alternate Histroy - The US forgoes the use of atomic weapons and invades Japan in 1945.

Many more people would die.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Tens, if not Hundreds, of thousands of people would die.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

You sure are optimistic, man. I would say millions.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Casualties would have been in the millions and Japan would have been completely ruined.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    You sure are optimistic, man. I would say millions.
    Oh, I meant US soldiers only. Obviously, casualties would be in millions.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Some estimates for US casualties are upwards to 4 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasio...ted_casualties

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

The Japanese wouldn't have given up and many, many, many more people would have died. The A-bomb was a necessary evil because they only surrendered to the threat of complete extinction of their people.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Alternate History - The US forgoes the use of atomic weapons and invades Japan in 1945.

Conservative estimates of the casualties were about 1 million for the invading force, and 10 million for the Japanese. The devastation to the infrastructure would have been significant as well.

In the original plan I think the allies were going to drop another 4-5 atomic bombs behind the front lines to aid the invasion. That scenario really is a nightmare.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Fred-nin View Post
    Oh, I meant US soldiers only. Obviously, casualties would be in millions.
    I mean the US soldiers. Given the teneciosity of the Japanese, it's hard to imagine how they'd beat an entire nation at arms only losing 100 thousand men.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Default Re: Alternate History - The US forgoes the use of atomic weapons and invades Japan in 1945.

Japan would be destroyed like Germany.
    Even if the Americans won, their casualties would be hundreds of thousands. We would expect not only the Japanese army to fight hard but also the Japanese civilians, providing support to their forces and even creating large resistance groups in the big cities. The Japanese casualties would be millions. The Japanese had a huge number of aircraft and small ships or submarines ready to be used in a kamikaze role so I would also expect sunken battleships and aircraft carriers with thousands of sailors in them.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

I would expect suicide bombers, bamboo-spear armed civilian human-wave attacks and all other kinds of nasty stuff.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

the utter destruction of Japan and hundreds of thousands of Allied casulties

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The delay caused by this would probably allow the SU to invade all Korea as well, removing South Korea from the table.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

I was thinking if the US did invade, that the SU might invade too, making Japan become just like North Korea and Sotuh Korea. since they did declare war on Japan (forgot when)
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Estimates at the time were in excess of one million US casualties. Japanese casualties could have been expected to exceed 10 million easily.

As for nuclear devices, the plan was to use at least eigh on the island of Kyushu alone. And Operation Cornet (the invasion of Kyushu) was expeced to place in October of 1945.

Operation Olympic (the invasion of Honshu) was expected to place the following spring and begin with an invasion in Tokyo Bay (probably to sever the head of the governent and to liberate POWs).

Given what I know already, I would not be surprised to see another six atomic bombs dropped on Honshu.

As for the operation names, those are the two planned names though I may have them mixed-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Also bear in mind that aside from Japan itself, the Japanese Empire still controlled many places in Asia (Singapore, Malaya, parts of Borneo, parts of China and Korea to name a few) where they would have to have been dislodged. I know Britain and the Commonwealth, aside from taking part in Operation Comet (Albeit a minor part compared to the US) had plans for what was believed to be a fairly bloody campaign to take back Malaya and Singapore.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I was thinking if the US did invade, that the SU might invade too, making Japan become just like North Korea and Sotuh Korea. since they did declare war on Japan (forgot when)
    How?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

He means that they would also land on the island and a South Korea/North korea situation would have developed.

Though I don't know if the Soviets had any naval assets in the Pacific if any at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast