Thread: Christianity (etc)

Default Christianity (etc)

How do you deal with it?
    I've a town in front of me that keeps rebelling from everyone, because it's almost entirely Christian. I'm wondering if it's worth going in, destroying the Nanban port, and converting it with that one monk I had (don't generally pay attention to temples/agents); or go through the whole process of building temples in adjacent towns, sending in a monk, and trying to keep the income from the Nanban port; or maybe leave it alone for now (don't know if it'll start spreading). I'm not too interested in the matchlocks.

(general religion tips also welcome)

Default Re: Christianity (etc)

Well, when I had the Nanban trade port, I had to really research into the Chi tree to build the upgrade to the regular monk temple. I also had to keep a monk there. In general, it's annoying, but research some of the chi stuff, and keep a small garrison there.

How do I deal with Christianity?

With fire. In the game I mean....

But yes, you want to bring in a monk to stabilize the population. If you can spare it, send in a Ninja specializing in sabotaging armies. It can slow the enemy enough to get some troops to put down the rebellions.
    Forward, march!

razr19's Avatar Civis

For me it only effects some regions I have A 10 unit garrison in one region thats constantley rebelling, thanks nanbun. On top of that I have another Christian city with nanbun with no garrison and they are at 10 happiness what gives lol. Its not the general and his army as he helps. I can't try anything now lol because my campaign ended had it on short campaign and ran out of turns.....
    ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδαhèn oîda hóti oudèn oîda
    I know, that I know nothing
    - Socrates

I always get a Nanban Port. Build a level 2 temple have 2 monks (even brand new ones) and religious zeal for Shinto Buddhism will be at 4 to Christianity's 3.5. You may have to tweak it a bit based on any other influences. To see how religion is doing in a settlement, check the settlement details. Upper left corner tells you the religion(s) and if you hover your cursor over the red/green arrows, it will tell you what it affecting religious zeal (religious influences).

When taking a region, start with sabotaging to Nanban Port to slow conversion and send in monks. Take the settlement and station a few units there while building temples. You may need to exempt them from tax for a few turns while upping your religion.

And you don't need to spend much time in the Chi branch of arts. Just research Chi, Zen, & Essence of Spirit.

It really isn't hard once you start swinging the conversion your way. In my Chosokabe campaign, one of my largest settlements has a Nanban Port. It is garrisoned by one Bow Ashigaru and 2 monks.
    Last edited by Strattios; March 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

What he said.

Generally speaking you should have a monk or two and a metsuke would also help along with a reasonable garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Strattios View Post
    I always get a Nanban Port. Build a level 2 temple have 2 monks (even brand new ones) and religious zeal for Shinto Buddhism will be at 4 to Christianity's 3.5.
    I figured that was the balance, but was mostly afraid it would start spreading to other provinces. Good, then, looks like this particular problem is solved.

I'm taking the moral high ground on this one, similar to the film "The last Samurai", im refusing to upgrade and will stick to my tradition katana, I WILL NEVER SELL MY SOUL TO THE DEVIL.

LuckyLuigi's Avatar Foederatus

There's a built in preference for Christianity. The trade port will not just influence the province it's in as well as the neighbouring provinces (with +3 conversion).
    This might only happen if the main region is at 100% christian.
    It makes it really hard to convert them back to the 'true faith'