Thread: Cleaner Chasing of Routing Troops

Default Cleaner Chasing of Routing Troops

Howdy,

I love this game. Best TW to date in my opinion.
    One thing I have noticed though is that when my units are chasing down fleeing troops, they tend to zig and zag seemingly aimlessly, and in unison whats-more; like some malfunctioning automaton, allowing for the distance between the nearest fleeing unit to increase, or at least not decrease. This happens even when the unit is a fast moving foot soldier like Katana heroes chasing down Yari Samurai with Rapid Advance activated.
    They also don't seem to chase down the larger fleeing masses, opting instead to veer left or right some 90 degrees or more into the trees to get "that one guy" (who clearly must've told those men to sod off before he started going all 逃げる, why else would they chase that one guy?), and if they cut him down they finally return to the large mass.
    I'd like to propose a mod to the AI, for both player unit behavior and AI unit behavior, which allows the chasing unit to break rank and efficiently chase down the fleeing enemy. Perhaps the breaking of rank could be toggle-able depending on whether "Defend" is turned on or not. I don't know if this is possible without a recompile of the game executable (which would suck), or whether it can be done by fine tuning behaviors via scripting.

It might sound like a lot of work for very little payoff, but I'd love to, and rather see, a massive melee on the run than that terribly inefficient unrealistic haphazardly synchronized "over here, over there" pursuit.

Anyone think this is possible?

Default Re: Cleaner Chasing of Routing Troops

thing i noticed when i first played this game was how much better the chasing down of routing units with cav was compared to the earlier games in empire your get units of dragoons just running beside the routing unit not actually killing any of them its still abit buggy in S2 but it is a marked improvment over the previous games

The chasing down of routers in this game is the best I've ever seen in a TW game - it doesn't need any messing about with.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by kataric View Post
    Howdy,

I love this game. Best TW to date in my opinion.
    One thing I have noticed though is that when my units are chasing down fleeing troops, they tend to zig and zag seemingly aimlessly, and in unison whats-more; like some malfunctioning automaton, allowing for the distance between the nearest fleeing unit to increase, or at least not decrease. This happens even when the unit is a fast moving foot soldier like Katana heroes chasing down Yari Samurai with Rapid Advance activated.
    They also don't seem to chase down the larger fleeing masses, opting instead to veer left or right some 90 degrees or more into the trees to get "that one guy" (who clearly must've told those men to sod off before he started going all 逃げる, why else would they chase that one guy?), and if they cut him down they finally return to the large mass.
    I'd like to propose a mod to the AI, for both player unit behavior and AI unit behavior, which allows the chasing unit to break rank and efficiently chase down the fleeing enemy. Perhaps the breaking of rank could be toggle-able depending on whether "Defend" is turned on or not. I don't know if this is possible without a recompile of the game executable (which would suck), or whether it can be done by fine tuning behaviors via scripting.

It might sound like a lot of work for very little payoff, but I'd love to, and rather see, a massive melee on the run than that terribly inefficient unrealistic haphazardly synchronized "over here, over there" pursuit.

Anyone think this is possible?
    I surely hope so, because I've experienced the same issue. It's especially frustrating when you've got the routing enemy before your cavalry, and when it means the difference between a season or two of peace or having raiders roaming over a province, the zig-zagging movements make it more of a headache.

It's better than the cavalry just walking alongside them, having a chat and maybe some Sake (that's what often happened in older TW games, Sake aside).
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium