Thread: Help with building descriptions?

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Help with building descriptions?

Here's your chance to see your work in the mod.

We need building descriptions for different trees. Take note of the effects and connect the dots-

for instance, if a building gives reduced/minus health this is usually due to the influx of people that come to trade in the settlement, trade often brings prostitution and crime and beggars. All of which can effect public health (-), growth (+) and law (-). So always look at the effects and try to represent this in your descriptions. If a blacksmith building brings trade it might be because they add to the infrastructure of the settlement, not just making armour but horseshoes, farmtools and other metalwork which civilians may need. Religious buildings such as churches often bring tax losses since the church claimed 1/10 of a region's tax, monasteries and bishop's estates took farmland away from the people to support the clergy, which gives us reduced health. So please read the effects and think about it.

Once a tree is considered done, I'll update the opening post with a new tree. Good luck and have fun!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

European Missile Tree
    Bowyers Guild Trade, small growth
    Archery Range missile units
    Bowmans Guild missile units
    Archer Battalion Headquarters* missile units, experience
    Artillators Workshop Trade, small growth (crossbows)
    Engineers Workshop missile units (siege)
    Gunsmiths Guild missile units
    Cannon Forge missile units
    Artillery Range missile units, experience

European Armour Tree
    Tanners’ Guild Trade, armour upgrade (leather)
    Blacksmiths’ Guild Trade, armour upgrade (mail)
    Armourer’s Workshop armour upgrade (heavy mail)
    Swordsmiths’ Guild Trade, units experience bonus
    Military Forge armour upgrade (partial plate)
    Principal Armoury unit recruitment cost reduction
    Artificer’s Manufactorium unit recruitment cost reduction armour upgrade (plate)
    Last edited by Hengest; March 28, 2011 at 08:05 AM.

Default Re: Help with building descriptions?

how long do you want descriptions to be? Some mods just keep it simple and are really short whereas others are a bit excessive, what do you guys want? Are you happy with a short paragraph? Round 50 words?

Proudly Editing Borissomeone's Fan Fiction (here)

Anything is good. Some of our decrs are quite long though with references to historical texts, characters, dates and events

well i might get round do doing some tomorrow, earth hour got in the way of me being productive

Here are the first few i have done, i hope you like them
    I will update this post as i get more done.
    Oh, a little question can you provide information on at which level half plate, full plate etc. armour is produced?

Tanners’ Guild Trade, armour upgrade
    Tanning originates to as early as 7000 BC in southern Asia. In ancient and medieval times tanning was considered a 'noxious trade' due to the foul smelling chemicals used to create the final and highly valued product, leather. Leather was used to create armour as well as waterskins, bags, harnesses, boats, quivers, scabbards, boots and sandals. A tannery was common in medieval towns and due to the value of leather, low skill required for production and its varied uses it could increase trade and offered the first form of protection in battle beyond a peasant's clothing.

Blacksmiths’ Guild Trade, armour upgrade

The smelting of iron ore was first developed in 1500 BC and became more widespread in 1200 BC. A blacksmith greatly increased the productive ability of a settlement by being able to create iron tools of a reasonable quality and thus was considered a necessity in any medieval town. A Blacksmiths' Guild helped to promote higher quality of smithing and created an opportunity to trade products. In a time of need, a Blacksmith was able to produce a rudimentary set of chain-mail to equip soldiers with an improved form of personal protection. This mail was expensive, time consuming to create, and was highly valued for its ability to save one’s life in battle.

Swordsmiths’ Guild Trade, units experience bonus
    The creation of a high quality sword was, and still is a true art. The skills required to create a sword far exceed those of a Blacksmith. Where a Blacksmith works with shaping softened iron a Swordsmith had to create high quality steel before they could even begin the long and difficult process of the actual creation of the weapon, producing this steel was an art in itself and the product was hard to come by, making it a valuable trade resource. A Swordsmiths’ Guild was a place where these highly skilled ‘artists’ came together to learn new techniques, share ideas, give feedback and trade weapons. The superior quality weapons created by members of these guilds fetched a high price at market and gave soldiers an edge in battle.

Bowyers Guild Trade, small growth
    A typical one piece bow took between 5 and 15 hours work depending on the skill of the bowyer and the quality of wood used. Regardless of the fact that it took a relatively low level of skill to create such a bow it was defiantly beneficial to have more experienced bowyers. A Bowyers’ Guild is a place where these more experienced men gathered to work together and teach each other, and their young apprentices about the trade. It was common for large groups of bowyers to work together in the production of bows to increase speed and efficiency of production and a guild fostered relationships between the bowyers allowing this to happen more readily. The bows created by men from such a guild were superior in quality and fetched a higher price at the local market. Young men coming from the countryside seeking a job could easily find one in a guild like this.

Archery Range missile units
    During the Medieval Ages archery was considered a sport, and a common one to say the least. Under King Edward I of England (r. 1272–1307) all other sports were banned on Sundays to promote increased use of the bow. Having an archery range in a town allowed this sport to be practiced and competitions to be held. This meant that many men had reasonable skill with the bow and so could be levied into the army when the time came, where they supported the few professional archers.
    Last edited by SeekerAfterTruth; March 28, 2011 at 01:02 AM.

Excellent this is exactly the kind of thing we're looking for! Nice contribution, you are still in the running to become Total War's next top model

I have updated the other post with two more descriptions.
    However, before I can continue any work on the armour tree I really need the following questions answered:
    At what level building is partial-plate and full-plate etc. first produced? And am I correct in saying these buildings are in chronological order of being built?
    I really need this information so I can include some historical stuff in the descriptions.
    Thanks

EDIT: it would also be helpful to know what level of unit is produced at each of the missile building, eg. peasant, professional, levy etc. this information is helpful so we don't get contradictions in what the descriptions say and what units the buildings actually allow the production of.
    Last edited by SeekerAfterTruth; March 28, 2011 at 05:38 AM.

Updated first post with specific armour levels. I might be wrong about how it works, in which case if I am I will re-post and let you know.

Not sure if this thread is still up-to-date, but I wanted to just try out if I understand the purpose.

Engineers Workshop missile units (siege)

Siege engines have been used since ancient times, with the most simple and oldest being battering rams and ladders. With the many castles and fortifications in the Middle Ages, more advanced types of siege engines were required such as the trebuchet or mangonel. An engineers workshop provided a place for a group of technicians to construct the siege engines with which to batter a way through the walls of city and castle alike. Many a general would have taken a group of such craftsmen along on campaign, so that they could build the heavy machines on the spot where they needed to be instead of having to drag the parts along muddy roads and slippery bridges. A Engineers Workshop ensured that new generations of technicians would be educated in the art of constructing these machines.

This one was just a try-out. If I get positive feedback and what I said makes sense, I might try writing some more.