Page 18 of 65 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 Realism (S2R)

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: Shogun 2 Realism

Im intruiged as to why you say my unit variety mod is incompatible, i can see no reason why it should not be?

Anything i can do to remedy such?

Good god, those samurai are a bit over powered aren't they? It took me about 10mins to take a unit down with four units consisting of two units of yari ashigaru, one unit of bow ashigaru, and one unit of yari samurai. They managed to kill my general and about 130 of my men!

DevlinXIII's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by dking View Post
    Good god, those samurai are a bit over powered aren't they? It took me about 10mins to take a unit down with four units consisting of two units of yari ashigaru, one unit of bow ashigaru, and one unit of yari samurai. They managed to kill my general and about 130 of my men!
    Yup god-like samurais I tell you, god like

notger's Avatar Decanus

I am totally with you on the idea of merging katana and bow samurai.
    Katana samurai are just very very Hollywood, a remnance of european romanticism for the middle-ages.

I think the current morale settings are fine for Samurai, as they really should be very difficult to break, but I think the armor and defense values need to be tweaked down a bit. Lamellar armor was not impervious to arrows, and right now it basically is...

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    I am totally with you on the idea of merging katana and bow samurai.
    Katana samurai are just very very Hollywood, a remnance of european romanticism for the middle-ages.
    Next version has very limited katana samurai unit cap. As of yet we do not want to eliminate it entirely, for unit variety, and it of course did see action on the battlefield, it just wasn't the main weapon. Still, in the next version you will see them rarely on the battlefield.

If we could, the ideal would be samurai would have all sorts of different weapons, naginita, bow, spear, no dachi, all in a mixed unit, and if need be they would only go to the katana as the secondary weapon. But that isn't possible so we need to come up with compromises.
    Last edited by St. Cyr; March 31, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dking View Post
    What kind of Samurai was the enemy, and which faction? Were they flanked? Experience level of your troops ?

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    Im intruiged as to why you say my unit variety mod is incompatible, i can see no reason why it should not be?

Anything i can do to remedy such?
    Hi Hedge, i added the hint to the 1st post, because our mod seems to be incompatible with the variety mod, as per at least one team member has tried it, and players, too, and got crashes.

If you have the time, would be great if you can try our mod with your variety mod, but better wait on the upcoming release, as it contains the new Naginata Ashigaru, and perhaps looking then for a solution.

I would love to use your variety mod with S2R.
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 31, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Ulster Confederate's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Hi Hedge, i added the hint to the 1st post, because our mod seems to be incompatible with the variety mod, as per at least one team member has tried it, and players, too, and got crashes.

If you have the time, would be great if you can try our mod with your variety mod, but better wait on the upcoming release, as it contains the new Naginata Ashigaru, and perhaps looking then for a solution.

I would love to use your variety mod with S2R.
    Great ! Id love to see the unit Variety mod working with Shogun 2 realism.

I could play large custom battles that included the “loan Sword” ok with both mods but the Campaign crashed when I selected an army that included loan swords.
    If hedge can get it working with Shogun 2 Realism it would be fantastic because the units look so much better.

Hedge Knight just released version 2 of the Unit Variety mod, and it should work in conjunction with S2R.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Cyr View Post
    Hedge Knight just released version 2 of the Unit Variety mod, and it should work in conjunction with S2R.
    Will test and confirm. Nice work.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by St. Cyr View Post

Ok, have just changed the hint in 1st post.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Can confirm, unit variety mod v.2 works perfectly fine. Some screens, see below

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by dem_n View Post
    Can confirm, unit variety mod v.2 works perfectly fine. Some screens, see below
    Thanks, will change the hint in 1st post accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by dfeal View Post
    I am trying to see the justification for the low number of men in the unit and the higher costs. Spear samurai were the norm and not just for cavalry. I think I have read in more than one place that most samurais used spears and then only their katanas as backups. So samurais tended to be bow or spear. the spear being the main weapon.

So, if the samurai unit is less than half the size of any ashigaru unit, then surely this means a samurai unit should be able to take on two ashigaru units and, maybe not win, but at least inflict major casualties or hold their own, no? Otherwise, why limit the samurai units?
    But spear samurai are better against cavalry, and it isn't even a fair test, since there is also a unit of katana ashigaru in the mix (who are designed to fight other infantry).

The reason they are limited is because samurai were not the bulk of the armies during the sengoku jidai- it was the ashigaru.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Matchlock Monks? For Uesugi or in general, are they going to be recruitable?

Patrician Artifex

Just a short note: Update release might happen saturday euro daytime.

Besides our usual updates, the team worked hard to get the new Naginata Ashigaru into the mod properly, named/displayed including a separate new unit card.
    As for the added name/description .loc file, this is valid for the english S2 version alone. As of yet, we aren't able to update other languages .loc files for the game properly (technical). Non-english versions should have then displayed the Naginata Ashigaru with the english name/description though.

So prepare yourself to battle soon with the historically missing Naginata Ashigaru unit finally added
    Concerning their role: They are a combi unit who can fight good vs. Foot and Cavalry, just a step better than Yari Ashigaru.
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 31, 2011 at 06:54 PM.

Cool congrats on the progress, really ive been waiting for the new release to get the garrison issue worked out. The mod as is, is highly playable (STW2 release was pretty solid anyway) but the garrison thing is a killer IMHO. So will wait to start a fresh oda or takeda campaign until new version is released. Thanks for the update

Is there will be a plan to raise the garrison for the castles?
    because the AI is not defending their city border very well.
    (English is not my native language)

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by cherwinz29 View Post
    Is there will be a plan to raise the garrison for the castles?
    because the AI is not defending their city border very well.
    (English is not my native language)
    Yes, we have added Archer Ashigaru's from on the 1st tier of castle buildings (done for the upcoming update version).