Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why people still play RTW?

pozine's Avatar Foederatus

Default Why people still play RTW?

Many people are still making comparisons between ETW and RomeTW. I personnaly never played Rome. Is rome better than medieval 2 and Empire?

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Why people still play RTW?

Not at all.

The Rome fanboys will go to their graves before they let that game die. I for one didn't like Rome.

Comparing the vanilla state of each game btw

1) The CAI in Rome (and M2) would ALWAYS backstab you, just sharing a border with a nation meant you would be at war, regardless of alliances.
    2) The BAI was flat out stupid, while not as bad as ETW upon release, the AI would just waltz into your Greek phalanxes and be torn apart like nobodies business.
    3) Dimplomacy meant nothing, because of reason 1
    4) Completely and totally un-historical
    5) EVERY single city would start to riot once it reached Huge
    Tons more that I can't even think of.....

While I agree that ETW was terrible upon release, comparing fully patched Rome and M2 to fully patched ETW, I would have to go with ETW.
    Needless to say I still play Rome and M2 alot, but because of mostly AI flaws, I prefer (vanilla) ETW over anything else.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Of course, I cannot remember the last time I played the bright-red-and-blue-history-is-a-fantasy-and-did-we-mention-amazons? game that is the vanilla version of RTW.

However, I do play Roma Surrectum II, a mod so well-designed that I'll probably be playing it - if I'm playing video games - years from now.

So ... yes.

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Personally I like RTW over ETW. Of course it is one thousand times better with a mod. I've been playing with the Roma Surrectum I mod. Its pretty damn amazing. Don't get me wrong. I like ETW a lot,I like the idea and scope behind it, and the battles are nice. It just feels like it is missing something. I've been using the Darthmod and its supa nice but if I only had one game to choose I'd go with RTW with RS mod.

But shooting muskets is pretty cool!
    But throwing a Piela is more badass

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Nothing to do with DarthMod, moved to the misc section.

Lord Derfel's Avatar Biarchus

Rome is defiantly worth trying out for any total war fan. The vanilla game is pretty bad, but it did have some neat features that I liked.

It has some amazing mods such as Roma Surrectum as stated above. I think its worth getting just for Roma Surrectum alone but there are some other great mods as well. Just chech out the Rome Mod section in the forums and see if any mods interest you.

hull19's Avatar Ordinarius

Never played Rome, I prefer watching Prince of Macedon owning his opponents

Vanilla Rome seems just plain bad, same as M2TW. But a good mod will fix many things.. .reason why Rome is still very popular
    SS 6.4, Eras 2.3, DotS Project
    The first computer you had always was the best.
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

If you want the best RTW experience, try DM for it!
    Traditionalist Catholic and Proud! And no, I'm not a paedophile, fool.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The only reason I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition was because...
    NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!

Rome Total War was - in my opinion - the most awesome TW game so far. Mainly due to the setting. Ancient warfare is just plain fun. No boring long range stuff, but a wild melee of mainly close combat units. Of coure the CAI and BAI back then sucked big time in comparison to nowadays still sucky Total War AI, but the general idea was awesome. Plus, the level of modability was greater, allowing for such ginormous mods like Roma Surrectum or Europa Barbarorum. Just the far more expanded system of ancillaries and traits back then, making generals and family members far more important was great, it had a small touch of dynasty-management with that. ETW and NTW hardly offer that. Currently traits mainly are "Win often, get +command traits". Obvious, boring. No more "Adulterer" or "Farmer" traits...
    Tired of annoying filehosters and corrupted downloads when grabbing DMUC?
    Check out my easy and fast torrents HERE!
    Also check out my psd template for an ETW map, highly useful if you make AAR or like to record your map progress for a campaign. Get it HERE

RTW with mods (EB, RS) = Great.
    ETW with Darthmod = Awesome.
    Plain Vanilla RTW and ETW =

dimnjacar's Avatar Civis

RTW EB + RSII kicks ass...

mfdoom's Avatar Civis

RTW & M2 > ETW

I play Rome but now roma surectum more. (Same thing..)
    I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse. - Charles V

@Senshi

Although I completely agree that the trait system in RTW was one of its most-fun features, some other things that make that game still better than its descendants:

*fast unit response. Yes, I know units wouldn't respond instantly in real life. A general also doesn't have an isometric view of the battlefield in real life, much less a freecam. Fast response = more fun.

*procedural map generation. There are some places on the RTW vanilla map where you get *crazy* height map variations, huge mountains to climb. Unrealistic? Definitely. Fun to drop arrows down a three thousand foot chasm on Cataphracts piteously attempting to charge up the mountain? Yes! Muahaha!

It's also really cool being able to set up the battle beforehand by positioning the armies relative to terrain, and then seeing that play out on the tactical map.

Finally, I really liked the variety of battle speeches. Some of that was available in MTW2, and some in STW2 (though their speeches tended to be rather boring).

Although no one else did apparently, I liked wardogs. They're stupidly fun. And elephants, even if they are impractical. Seriously, RTW is one of the top two or three strategy games of all time.. even with the terrifyingly bad pathing and AI. With those problems fixed.. it would have very obviously been the best strategy game ever made. It runs lightning quick on modern PCs. What are you waiting for! ;]

I'm surprised no one mentioned sieges. In RTW they were generally fun, no ninja ropes and useless fort cannons, defending a city actually gave you a definite advantage, especially against the AI. Pathfinder inside the cities were generally bad, but if unit sizes are not too huge it was playable.

RTW was in general a game I was much less disappointed about on release. Is that fair to Empire? Yes, after all a more modern game should deliver more than it's predecessor. I still play ETW mostly due to it's setting. Oh, and ETW has amazons too It's a CA thing

I don't think anyone enjoyed the historical homage of flaming pigs but me and a few closet nerds. Fantasy unit? I don't think so .
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

BrokenLantern's Avatar Libertus

Oh, Rome is great. Just DL a mod first.
    The best thing about Rome is that I get high FPS on it because it's graphics are meh-ey.

hooahguy14's Avatar Ducenarius

I logged hundreds of hours on Europa Barbarorum, it was that good.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: A Rome II Suebi AAR

Although at the moment I've moved away from RTW and started to play about with Empire and M2TW it's still a really fun game and the community behind it is still incredible.

"The Pope?... How many divisions does he have?"
    - Joseph Stalin(attributed)

I also LOVED the War-dogs, expensively on rebels hehehehe, but yhee also the traits and the difference between the factions, sure the egyptians were unrealistic, but they were fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast