Thread: How to get Massive amounts of koku through diplomacy

Default How to get Massive amounts of koku through diplomacy

Note: Using this exploit might affect game balance, so you have been warned.

Having played this game for a few days on the hard level, it's become painfully evident that there's a cashflow problem with the game. Here's how you can alleviate some of it through simple diplomacy.

This trick will only work on factions which directly border your territory. All you have to do is go to the diplomacy screen, pick a bordering faction and offer them Military Access. Always start off with 5 turns. The probably for success should be listed as 'High'. Then demand a cash payment from them. The amount they will agree to should be between 750 to 1750 koku. You will know when you hit their payout limit when the success meter changes to 'Moderate'.

You can then either wait 5 turns until the agreement expires and farm them for more money or if you're really strapped for cash, you can immediately offer them 10 turns of Military Access and milk them for more money in the same turn (though you will get less cash this way). That being said, you can incrementally move up to 20 turns and unlimited on the same turn as well.

You can get on average around 1000 koku from each neighbor every 5 turns. I personally find that even this big boost in income barely covers expenses, but it's definitely better than nothing. If there is one caveat, it's that you will get flagged as 'Dishonoring Treaties' among other things if you attack a faction while the agreement is in force so you will have to plan your offensives in advance.

Maybe our daimyos should just quit their day jobs and be diplomatic gold farmers instead.

I don't think this qualifies as a bug, but it's certainly an exploit.

Have fun and don't let this trick ruin your game.

Default Re: How to get Massive amounts of koku through diplomacy

Haha that's certainly an interesting find! If you're playing on the harder levels though, I reckon you're actually looking for a challenge without any shortcuts, but this is great for people who are struggling on the Normal difficulty.

yes, but military access?

doesn't that open you to being attacked?

my eternal thanks to the EB team for making R:TW such an epic game, and to TWC and all other modders for pushing the boundaries with each Total War title .

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

No, you can't attack if you have access. However if you end up breaking your access agreements for any reason your daimyo will suffer an honor penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by I WUB PUGS View Post
    No, you can't attack if you have access. However if you end up breaking your access agreements for any reason your daimyo will suffer an honor penalty.
    I mean being attacked by them. Ie they backstab you and take a province.

my eternal thanks to the EB team for making R:TW such an epic game, and to TWC and all other modders for pushing the boundaries with each Total War title .

Does this empty the coffers of the other factions?

Quote Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
    I mean being attacked by them. Ie they backstab you and take a province.
    No I don't believe they can attack either (though I cannot guarantee that). As far as I've seen you need to 'declare war' to attack and as soon as you do the access rights are refused and the army is moved back to your own territory (from my experience with the AI)

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Strategoi View Post
    Note: Using this exploit might affect game balance, so you have been warned.

Having played this game for a few days on the hard level, it's become painfully evident that there's a cashflow problem with the game.
    No there isn't. The Chi wants you

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by TdM View Post
    No I don't believe they can attack either (though I cannot guarantee that). As far as I've seen you need to 'declare war' to attack and as soon as you do the access rights are refused and the army is moved back to your own territory (from my experience with the AI)
    I think you might actually be able to backstab people and not get kicked out. I haven't actually tried it, but I've seen a diplomatic penalty against one of my enemies that basically said they betrayed my military access or something. I've also had one ally march halfway across my lands to attack another, and when I sided with the defender his armies stayed in my territory. Idk about straight up betraying, but it might be possible.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Semisalis

Wow nickle and dime...actually the real money is in the real terms of the deal. Do unlimited access and get 2-3K, really its a matter of build up of the +40-60 range of liking you that can inspire such transactions. If they get to close to you and you do not like it, then revoke it. Yes it will hurt your standing but who cares you got your cash.