Thread: Warrior Monks, armour or weaponry?

Default Warrior Monks, armour or weaponry?

What do you guys think? I guess this also some what applies to most units, but I think for many units it also hinges on exactly what armor is doing. Is it strictly anti-missile, or does it impact into melee as well.

For me I've been going +5 armor getting them up to a respectable 7 armor since their offensive stats are very good already.

On the other hand I can see the argument for going weaponry, just take care around archers, but the boost to the already amazing melee abilities would turn them into the pre-eminent offensive unit in the game.

So what is your choice? Arguments for any unit will do, I'd also like to hear if anyone knows for certain if armor is missile and melee, or just missile.

Default Re: Warrior Monks, armour or weaponry?

This is my dilemma as well yeah... I have a hard time choosing between Hunting Lodge and Armoury for archers also...+2 armor or +5 accuracy

I gave them armor. They kill quickly but if they stay in melee for a long time they'll take a lot of casualties.

Armor seems to add to the Melee Defense as well as protection from missiles, but I'm not a 100% sure about this.

Had the same dilemma and made a compromise +4 Weapons +2 Armor, deadly and protected.

James an Armory with it's +2 will give you more value then only +5 on your already very accurate archers.

Also I've discovered that once you have those epic high EXP units, when they replenish losses they tend to lose their XP very fast, replenishing troops are probably level 0 EXP. So giving your troops protection keeps those veterans and masters alive.
    Last edited by Gulatr; March 24, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

I'd say armor 100% for these guys, their combat is good but their war cry is really what makes them exceptional vs Naginata Samurai and given that that isn't affected by the attack ( which will get improved with experience anyways ) making them a more archer proofed unit to hold the line and break the enemy moral with warcry seems like the way to go. I haven't had the chance to experiment heavily yet but I'm picturing whistling arrows + warcry combo to breakup otherwise fine Ashigaru swarms.

some one said in another thread that armour just protects against arrows and warrior monks are in combat more then they are taking arrows

Civis

Pretty sure armour protects in melee also, I remember a CA staffer saying this on the forums. I always go for the armour because archers will make mincemeat of warrior monks before they reach the enemy lines (from my experience, the AI does know to target them)

I do armorer encampment for warrior monks, but also because the provinces I build them in (holy grounds) also gives a morale boost and so that is where I build my spear ashigaru.

If you are talking about blacksmithing provinces I always make those weaponsmiths the bonus is much more noticeable imo, but I don't build monks there just Samurai and cavalry with a Jujitsu encampment if they are primarily a defensive force, or armorer encampment if they are going to be taking a lot of castle walls.

if they use the same formula from Medieval 2 Armour and Defence skill factor into melee combat however only Armour applies too Ranged attacks

in M2 the direction of the attack in melee determined what stats effected the result - attacks from behind only looked at armour while attacks from the front and left looked at armour + defence + shield - not sure if that still applies... especially since we don't get shields in Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by Moody View Post
    if they use the same formula from Medieval 2 Armour and Defence skill factor into melee combat however only Armour applies too Ranged attacks

in M2 the direction of the attack in melee determined what stats effected the result - attacks from behind only looked at armour while attacks from the front and left looked at armour + defence + shield - not sure if that still applies... especially since we don't get shields in Shogun
    Good to know.

Naginata are an interesting unit in this case, as you can stack their armor up to 14, or you can bump their melee attack up to 15. Going the weapon route gives you an anti cavalry unit that is probably superior in melee combat to an armor stacking katana samurai.