Thread: Weird encounter

Default Weird encounter

yesterday I encountered quite a weird army composition in a multiplayer match. The guy had 3 hero units (I believe katana, bow and yari), 2 great guard units, one units of matchlock monks, and one of european cannons. I got a little intimidated, thinking that he was some kind of super veteran, with all those rare units most of which I didn't even see in multiplayer yet.

The obvious disadvantage he had is that his whole army was less than 400 men, while mine, made mostly by ashigaru and a few samurai was 4 times as large as his. So I get everyone in my army in loose formation, run my general behind a hill as soon as he starts to try and snipe him and start advancing as fast as possible. Of course he doesn't move of a inch hiding behind the cannons. Thanks to the loose formation my casualities aren't unbearable, and i finally charge his face and obliterate pretty much whatever he has without breaking much sweat.

Now I wonder: did I encounter an overleveled newbie with a completely broken army, or there's actually some merit in such a small but elite setup and I just got lucky?
    Last edited by Abriael; March 23, 2011 at 05:36 PM.

Default Re: Weird encounter

Everybody knows you need some numbers to let your army work. Had the same with a 3v3 with some some friends. We got some opponents only fielding monk/hero units and nothing else. We mopp'd the floor with them with our balanced armies.
    Old pond...
    a frog leaps in
    water's sound

I would mention that in my opinion every army needs some cheap throw-away troops for various reasons.

Ok glad to see I'm not the only thinking like that. I was trying to wrap my head around what possible "secret winning tactic" he might have had, for the future, but couldn't find even one

Yeah, sounds like a pretty silly army, the guy was probably just experimenting. I bring the katana hero to a 14k game, and thats about as high tech as I get.

A katana hero will absolutely chew through enemy infantry of any sort. His weakness, like all heroes, is arrows... lots of arrows!

I won't field hero units very often, but if I do, I usually use the Yari Hero or sometimes even the bow here (since I generally only field 1-3 archer units anyways, depending on the fund level). It really depends on the fund amount though. I make sure that my numbers are good if I'm going to field a hero unit. They can be really powerful. For instance, it was a large fund amount 1v1 I was in, and I believe I only had 2 bow units, so I fielded my Yari heroes and sure enough he tried to flank me with 3-4 cavalry units, which were decimated by my Yari heroes. So IMO you should consider using them every now and then whenever you unlock them.

Hmmmm, well if it weren't for the cannon he I would have thought that he might be going after the "Legendary Force" achievement, but that's If you win with just your general, and hero units.

Grats on your win. <3 Zerg!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Hmmmm, well if it weren't for the cannon he I would have thought that he might be going after the "Legendary Force" achievement, but that's If you win with just your general, and hero units.
    Oh, I didn't know there was such an achievement. Now I want to get the hero units and unlock it lol

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Abriael View Post
    Oh, I didn't know there was such an achievement. Now I want to get the hero units and unlock it lol
    Word of advice (got lucky on my first try at this) - make sure its a small battle, then get your bow (or yari) hero hurt down to 60% strength or so in the battle before, so you can take all 3 with ya.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Well I 'll have to make such kind of army too when I will be able because there is an achievement to unlock about a hero army ....

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

a bow hero plus a cannon, sounds to me like his plan rests on general sniping.

Katana Heroes are nasty, had fight where I destroyed this guys great cav, his bow monks and his general and a third of his katana units. But he used his katana samurai as a meat shield for his heroes.

DO heores if upgraded increase the morale of other units?

Iirc they have an ability wich makes them + 3 additional units unbreakable for a short time.
    Old pond...
    a frog leaps in
    water's sound

A short time it was lasting long enough for like 5 minutes, maybe 3 but it felt a lot longer.