Thread: What do you build and where?

Default What do you build and where?

I'm new to Shogun 2 and haven't much read up on the new concepts yet. I skipped out on Empire and Napoleon so many of the new management systems are a mystery to me. In the past you used to separate between city, for income, and castle, for military production.

Now however I get these building slots when I upgrade my castle. But I never know which I should specialize; commercial or military buildings? How do I know what would be best for a particular city? Is it generally a good idea to generalize a city with only military buildings and some with only commercial buildings?

Thanks.

Default Re: What do you build and where?

A word of wisdom,you need to get some serious Commercial stuff going.Be aware that you WILL need food as Castles and other buildongs will use them.If you go into negative food,its hard to get out.Also some of the commercial stuff can take a while to get due to the time they take to build.Also use the trade nodes for trade to increase your money.Then DONT forget to use The Chi Arts to increase non military stuff a lot of improvements require certain skills be they Chi or Bushido ones.Uusally improving buildings that make troops dont use up food but they do need money.Hope this helps.
    Push to test... Release to detonate.

Yeah, I figured out the system behind food etc., I just am never sure if I want to build military over several cities or just in one, centralized, and have commercial stuff everywhere else. I would of course build everything but if I'm not mistaken you are limited to so many upgrades, right? Because every castle upgrade is one slot so you can have like another 4 or 5 slots and there's many more buildings than that.

Dileos's Avatar Decanus

Cities on the border are usually focused on troop production in my games. As the borders expand, the former recruitment centers lose their usefulness as it takes longer for troops to reach the new frontline. So I usually demolish those buildings and replace them with economical structures.

The only exception is if its a high tier Samruai recruitment building in a province with an armorer for example, or a cavalry yard in a province with better horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dileos View Post
    Cities on the border are usually focused on troop production in my games. As the borders expand, the former recruitment centers lose their usefulness as it takes longer for troops to reach the new frontline. So I usually demolish those buildings and replace them with economical structures.

The only exception is if its a high tier Samruai recruitment building in a province with an armorer for example, or a cavalry yard in a province with better horses.
    I see, so provinces should largely dictate what to build (at least when you have an actual empire, not just a couple regions).

Specialize your cities. You only really need 3 or 4 military cities, everything else can be primarily economic. You want a city or 2 with blacksmiths (weapon smith/armor smith) to pump out infantry, a city with horses to pump out cavalry, and a city with crafts to pump out archers. Put an encampment + the upgrade with the most synergy in them as well.

Beyond that, you should pump out your navy from a city with a pirate lair. There's also cities that better suited for each of the different types of agents as well.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Moved to Shogun: Gameplay & Strategy
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

You said to build cavalry schools in cities with horses as resource. Doesn't that also mean I need a Yari and Sword school there to be able to recruit all the cavalry types? Isn't that a bit much? Which encampment would you couple that with? I was thinking Sword and Yari could go together for Melee bonus, but that means I can't do the cavalry bonus.

Aren't the superior warhorser a resource that is traded across provinces? I was under the impression that as long as you imported these, it didn't matter where you built your stables. Or do cavalry from the province with the horses get any bonuses?

In my current Chosokabe campaign I got the city with the warhorse-resource and a yari drill yard (and its upgrade), and the city north of it has a sword school and a later-built stable.

I see. Well I'm pretty sure the horse provinces give a bonus, something like +12? Or maybe I'm mixing up numbers, but it definitely gives a bonus.

Cavalry recruited in provinces which provide horses get a bonus to charge.

You should make your main troop producing center in a province with a Blacksmith, later it can give you a bonus of +4 to Melee Attack or +3 to Armor to all of the units produced there.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Gulatr View Post
    You should make your main troop producing center in a province with a Blacksmith, later it can give you a bonus of +4 to Melee Attack or +3 to Armor to all of the units produced there.
    Yep , i have to agree with that , i never get more than 2 military centers ( i have just one for most of the game usually ) , so i build a castle (5000 gold ; food -2 ) where there is an armourer , and all other regions around my castles are +1 food , so that my global food supply is always superior to 0 .

With one castle with an armourer in it , you can build at least 4 units in a row every season , which is more than enough until mid-game .For instance with Hojo my castle is at Sagami , with Shimazu my castle is at Satsuma .

With factions that have no armourers nearby like Takeda or Oda or Mori , i build my castle where there is a specialty ( Kai gives better cavalry , Owari gives better ashigarus for instance , Aki gives better morale if i remember well .)

Later on in the campaign , i just capture the castles of the enemy and use them , so all in all , i don't get to build more than one castle , or two maximum , so i think it's a wise choice to build it in a region where there is an armourer or craft (for better archers ) or any kind of specialty , and use all other territories as cash cow and food supply

Thusfar the trend seems to be towards smallish castles with economic upgrades and the 'triumverate' of 3 unit production provinces on specialties that support it.

1. Blacksmith for Melee Infantry ( armor / melee attack )
    Yari Drill Yard
    Sword School
    Buddhist Temple
    Encampment for a chosen bonus
    2. Quality warhorses for Cavalry ( charge )
    Stables
    Yari Drill Yard
    Sword School
    3. Craftwork for archers ( accuracy )
    Foot Archery Range
    Buddhist Temple
    Stables

With this you should be able to build every unit in the game with max bonuses ( should you choose to specialize that way ). In general I'd say the black-smithing is the most valuable to you as melee troops remain a bit of a staple and in situations like storming castles a bit of an extra bonus can go a long way to keeping you in the fight.

Thanks, very helpful stuff here. Sucks that as Tokugawa you have a hard time procuring a blacksmith, you do get warhorses in your capital tho.