Thread: Idea for CA to consider for strategic buildings

Default Idea for CA to consider for strategic buildings

So ive had think about the strategic buildings for multiplayer and I think they are a great inclusion to make camping a little harder. Most games seem to be relatively quick and these building really help to make taking these locations a priority and in a lot of cases forces an engagement to try and take one of the better locations. Camping on the hill ive harldly come accoss when objectives are included on the map.

Ive played a of MM 1v1 games and I think they should be at least 1 stategic location for every game however currently MM games seem to have like half of games with and half without.

Also I would maybe just have the location and bonus represented on the map at the start of game but the bonus only becoming active after a time delay. Example maybe you can take the location but the bonus unlocks only after the game is 20 minutes in. this would still make it a priority to take them but give the other opponent an opportunity to challenge to retake it. My thinking behind this is to counter unrealistic rushing to unlock these areas. Also maybe after 40 mins the bonus benefit could double so as to really make camping on hills a risky strategy.

I would be interested if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Finally im not one to lump praise on game developers – but a week into shogun I just want to play more and more and ive already had a week’s leave from work to play – sleep- play - sleep.

Ive played every tw game since the release of the first shogun and started multiplayer for ETW and NTW. TBH ive loved each one for a variety of reasons but never felt convinced the game couldn't have been a lot better. ETW and NTW multi are both great multiplayer games but game rules were sort of necessary to counter spam and exploits etc.

Wow Shogun 2 has blown me away, each of the new mechanisms CA has included is just simply brilliant and the way forward for more balanced and less exploitive games into the future. It may not be the perfect game and im sure there will be exploits and spam etc but IMO this is heading in the right direction. Yes the game is a bit buggy ive played a of MM games and my stats say 14/1 but considering all the new features – its going to have teething issues. It's a lot more complex – skill tree, retainers, veteran units, strategic points, match made games, clan campaign etc etc. they have done an exceptional job. Yep I would be the first one to say they could have done beta but seriously the multi player is just excellent and I cant wait to see this moving forward into rome 2, med 2, etw 2 and ntw 2. Campaign looks really fantastic and I cant wait to start getting into that and the AI is like 1000% better. Im so confused I cant decided whether to play more multi or get into campaign.

++++++++ rep to CA well done

PS great idea with the OX cart retainer – only can bring 1 seige unit to MM games. Best damn idea ive seen.

PPS – ive started to post videos again and I hope to post 1 a day for Shogun 2.
    Best Regards
    (HMG) TERMINATOR

Visit my youtube vids here - http://www.youtube.com/user/terminat...n?feature=mhum

The machines rose from the ashes of the nuclear fire. Their war to exterminate mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Default Re: Idea for CA to consider for strategic buildings

I suggested something semi-similar in an earlier thread which would involve attaching a victory timer to controlling all of the objectives on the map to make hill turtling impossible.

I'm not totally sure if seige weapons are unbalanced yet, I just played a match where the guy had European cannon, but I showed up with nothing but high moral melee and cav. I was trying to get veteran monks so I just picked what worked out cost wise of veteran and than a bunch of monks. absolutely crushed it, but might have been his first game with them. I feel like a pure melee army could counter most siege tactics. I'm still not sure a balanced force could though. ranged units are a big disadvantage because you can't use them as you need to close the distance quick.

I totally agree with there should be some form of objectives on all maps. or some incentive to do something after a length of time.

20 minutes seems way to long. more like 2 minutes for the objectives to unlock might work. 20 minutes is a really long match for me. this game is much quicker paced. I'm averaging closer to 10 minutes of actual battle time.

I don't have a per se problem with siege weapons, like I don't fiing single mangonels that bad, but rocket arty has a pretty high accuracy, and mangonels can score lucky shots on a general, which absolutely ends the game, and I don't think lucky shots should factor into the game.

yes - most battles are only about 10 mins so i can see your point - so maybe if the bonus maybe doubled after 15 mins that would work a treat against any hill camping.
    Best Regards
    (HMG) TERMINATOR

Visit my youtube vids here - http://www.youtube.com/user/terminat...n?feature=mhum

The machines rose from the ashes of the nuclear fire. Their war to exterminate mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

If you need a carrot on a stick to play a decent battle then fair enough, personally i dont like buildings - in decent games they are totally unnecessary.
    Support Totalwar Youtubers:
    Jackiefish commentary my Quarter final match tosa cup*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr52zUAoTo
    Showing Pointman a 2v3 Tactic: He does well and carries it out to perfection first time*..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrfDUr8f6M&feature=plcp
    Aggony Clan 1v1 Tournament match: Multiple casters check description for their youtube channels*:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoz8nS7ulY

anything which makes hill camping less viable is great in my books - and yes but in decent games people dont hill camp either - so everything works out for the better thats why i suggested an unlock timer for the bonus to activate that way it is only required when you get some noob hill camping.

and yes hill camping isnt to much of a problem anyway but i like the thought of wiping this sort of noob tactic out of the game.

whereas etw and ntw was plagued by defensive tactics - 99% of games you had to engage first

Shogun2 is the opposite all because the carrot on a stick - which i think is fantasic - most games the strategic points arnt even taken. so games come down to who ever attacks better and not who can get to a hill first.
    Last edited by terminator acheron; March 24, 2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Best Regards
    (HMG) TERMINATOR

Just played a game recently where opponent was turtling so i captured all the objectives but was disappointed to find out that siege equipment is able to destroy them, i can see this is realistic but it ruins the idea of them from a gameplay perspective, and the guy ended up dropping after his general died but thats beside the point,

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh so View Post
    If you need a carrot on a stick to play a decent battle then fair enough, personally i dont like buildings - in decent games they are totally unnecessary.
    The buildings are not about "carrot on a stick", it's about adding additional tactical decisions to battles.

They don't counter campers with siege engines very well though. Do you know why? Because siege engines can DESTROY the structures and quickly too! So you spend your time up there capturing it while he s you over with his stuff, and then once you move he targets it and the bonus is forfeit.