Thread: Fire By Rank -- Useful for damaging morale?

Default Fire By Rank -- Useful for damaging morale?

Trying to recall what this was good for in NTW. I believe Fire by Rank's benefit was that it would damage the morale of the enemy more than just normal shooting? Correct me if I'm wrong.

crossjon's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Fire By Rank -- Useful for damaging morale?

Quote Originally Posted by z WeApOn z View Post
    Trying to recall what this was good for in NTW. I believe Fire by Rank's benefit was that it would damage the morale of the enemy more than just normal shooting? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    you'll be recalling for a while then, seeing as NTW had no fire by rank in vanilla.

FoB's benefit is more soldiers firing at once which= more kills.
    it might damage morale as well, idk.

It is devestating, three volleys and ashigaru will rout unless there a general near by!

On normal difficulty, fire by rank is absolutely devastating! Ashigaru always run unless they are rallied. Samurais rout, too, before even reaching your lines if there's no general nearby. I find a nice volley from veteran matchlock samurai to be one of the most enjoyable things to watch in the game. On harder difficulties,though, the AI gets a huge morale boost so this is less "exploitable".
    A HUGE fan of the Stainless Steel mod for m2 kingdoms. Thank you to all the modders!

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuhiro View Post
    On normal difficulty, fire by rank is absolutely devastating!
    And yet, try to start a costum battle, normal difficulty: matchlock ashigarus versus archers. Guess who wins?
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    And yet, try to start a costum battle, normal difficulty: matchlock ashigarus versus archers. Guess who wins?
    I will. But how about you try matchlock samurai vs archers? And even if thats how it works in custom battle, in the campaign a volley from matchlock samurai will rout a unit. So even if bow samurai win 1v1 against matchlock samurai, the matchlocks are more useful.
    A HUGE fan of the Stainless Steel mod for m2 kingdoms. Thank you to all the modders!

So is there any reason NOT to fire by rank?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    I agree. The range makes matchlock units at a disadvantage against even bow ashigaru.

This is supposed to be a rock-paper-scissor system, yet bow ashigaru can severely deplete armor-buffed katana samurai.
    I play Shogun 2 on VH

-Sun Tzu

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Moved to Gameplay and Strategy Discussion.

Coolguy's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by vyyye View Post
    So is there any reason NOT to fire by rank?
    I'd like to know this too.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    I'd like to know this too.
    I believe units will generally kill faster without fire by rank but seeing one man drop every 3 seconds is nothing compared to seeing 5 drop in ten its gonna damage morale. Because this game is based so much on morale then probably no reason to not use fire by rank.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!