Thread: London Walls

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default London Walls

I found some pics of the old Roman London walls, if you guys want to make a new model for them:

These are remnants only, but they give a good Idea of what the walls themselves looked like, although not necesarilly the gates...

There are more I found online, I just gotta go get them...
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; November 10, 2012 at 08:00 AM.

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: London Walls

huhu, the same day, i posted a thread about the late roman walls in one french city...

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ☧ Flavius Aëtius ☧ View Post
    I found some pics of the old Roman London walls, if you guys want to make a new model for them:

These are remnants only, but they give a good Idea of what the walls themselves looked like, although not necesarilly the gates...

Where exactly are they in London, I may visist them on my next shopping spree with my wife.

Cheers.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Not sure but they were used into the 18th century. One of them I think marks the divison between the center and west london or something. I'll post more today.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Nice pics. Any more improvements to walls and buildings may have to wait until Conquestus 2.0
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Nice pics. Any more improvements to walls and buildings may have to wait until Conquestus 2.0
    A sigh of relief from me here In theory there is almost no limit how far the modders can go (and considering the game engine)- if London walls, why not the Saxon Shore forts walls, Cadbury, York, etc. And more from the Osprey books- including the Picts and Scotts.
    Modders should keep focused in each stage of the process. I'm no one to give advice to the experienced Team here, it's just that I've seen how easy it is to get distracted with secondary/periphery stuff. Years pass and people still argue about gravestones in some bloody valley, or some legendary migration 7-800 years before a mod's timeframe.

Wow this reads almost like a rant. Don't mind me

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
    A sigh of relief from me here In theory there is almost no limit how far the modders can go (and considering the game engine)- if London walls, why not the Saxon Shore forts walls, Cadbury, York, etc. And more from the Osprey books- including the Picts and Scotts.
    Modders should keep focused in each stage of the process. I'm no one to give advice to the experienced Team here, it's just that I've seen how easy it is to get distracted with secondary/periphery stuff. Years pass and people still argue about gravestones in some bloody valley, or some legendary migration 7-800 years before a mod's timeframe.

No problem! If we had a larger team we could add more to the first release. In my opinion, Conquestus 1.0 is much more developed than Vandalorum. I have learned alot from vandalorum so many of the previous issues have been resolved in conquestus.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ok, well good luck to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post

Dontcha worry my friend...I do understand that and I also understand modders come and go(except for the ever lasting midnit ) so it be wise to set the short term goals before their longer ones

In regads to the walls, we have only scratched the surface with in game battle city buildings. Some work has been done but much appears hardcoaded or just beyond our abilities right now
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 23, 2011 at 08:23 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Ok, well good luck to all of you.
    I hope that it didn't seem I was critisising you personally. It would be very uppity of me to have a go at an award winner over such a trivial matter

It can be a nice cosmetic addition to be added later on. But for London, despite the advances made recently, the location of the city along the Thames is impossible to replicate. Cadbury is the easiest settlement (i.e. least insane difficult) to be custom-made, IMO. Also it's of major importance, a regional capital, so it's an obvious candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    No problem! If we had a larger team we could add more to the first release. In my opinion, Conquestus 1.0 is much more developed than Vandalorum. I have learned alot from vandalorum so many of the previous issues have been resolved in conquestus.
    I've got the feeling that the stuff that's been previewed is only a small part of what we can expect. The strategy to make regional campaigns is great and I'm just grateful that you chose one that I find particulalry interesting. Spending much of my time wondering which faction to try out first. So far the list is down to Gwynedd, Powys, Catuvellaun, Dal Riatta, Ebrauc, Rheged...
    Anyway, patience is a virtue