Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [TWS2 AAR] The Prodigal Son

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [TWS2 AAR] The Prodigal Son

EPIC BATTLE IS EPIC

What are those big bubble-thingies on the back of the general units?

Quote Originally Posted by dowdpride View Post
    EPIC BATTLE IS EPIC
    Hehe, that's too much, really. It was four units against five or six, so not that epic (at least not caps epic )

Quote Originally Posted by mocsing View Post
    What are those big bubble-thingies on the back of the general units?
    It's called a "Horo". You may be interested to take a look in the following thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=434582

Or the following video, from about one minute in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26o9LiaB0Zg

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Watched the video, awesome.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great update as always. I suppose Takemoto has to start somewhere in making a reputation, even if it's in fighting peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    Hehe, that's too much, really. It was four units against five or six, so not that epic (at least not caps epic )

It's called a "Horo". You may be interested to take a look in the following thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=434582

Or the following video, from about one minute in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26o9LiaB0Zg
    it is epic because of your decription

Chapter 9: A Year in Hyuga

Saito castle was the first place I would call home after leaving Aki. I was standing on the balcony, waiting in uneasy expectation, when my new physician came out to see me.

"I bring exalting news, my lord. You have a son and both child and mother are well."

The tension fell off me and I went in to fetch my son. Carefully I held this little and fragile, amazing being in my hands and took him out on the balcony, holding him over my head.

"Have a look, Mochitomo-chan." I knew it wouldn't mean anything to him, but anyway I showed him the long coastline below Saito and the range of mountains up country.

"One day," I told him, "all this will belong to you."

It didn't take much time for us to settle in and I started reorganizing the province according to my conceptions and to enlist Ashigaru into my service. I was aware that a confrontation of the leading clans on Kyushu was inevitable and that Munekata's call could come any day, but it was easy to forget, when burried in work.

Also easy to forget was the old life that I left behind in Aki. I noticed that I hadn't much thought about it, when one day I spotted a fleet travelling by on the horizon and I thought I reccognized father's banner flying from the masts.

But soon this peace proved to be deceptive. First we received news that a cousin of Shimazu Takahisa reinstated his clan's rule over Satsuma. Daimyo Shoni, who was encamped in Osumi in the south, was under pressure, he needed to make a statement or his authority would crumble.

And he came here to do so.

I send out Tametomo, who so skillfully had disposed of Amako Akihisa, to shadow their advance and to take care it was as slow as possible.

At the same time I send messengers to Bungo to inform Munekata. But would the Ouchi arrive in time?

Read my AARs:
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Oh wow, I just announced my intention to start a Mori AAR in the thread next door, albeit in a different style. I shall try not to read this one until I am done to avoid confusion in my head

One line, three stars shall rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Berengar View Post
    Oh wow, I just announced my intention to start a Mori AAR in the thread next door, albeit in a different style. I shall try not to read this one until I am done to avoid confusion in my head

One line, three stars shall rule!
    Hehe, that's not necessary. This is more of a personal story than a Mori clan one. So, no reason not to keep reading.

Read my AARs:

Chapter 10: Two Blades Combined

Not only Daimyo Shoni was under pressure. Buzen, the Ouchi stronghold in northeastern Kyushu, defected and the Ouchi came in risk of losing everything.

Nagano Munekata marched his army south into Hyuga, where my men formed the right flank of the advancing host. Soon we met the Shoni on the field of battle.

Fog prevented anyone to see far, but we knew, somewhere in front of us was the enemy.

The combined armies of Munekata's Ouchi and my former Mori outnumbered Daimyo Shoni's troops, but Sukemoto had taken a strong defensive position upon a steep hill. Only a smaller detachment was posted in the valley to his left, directed against the advance of my flanking force.

Slowly we approached the awaiting enemy. According to Munekata's plan I was supposed to put the enemy flank guard under constant pressure to keep this considerable part of Sukemoto's army from engaging the main line of battle and to hopefully overcome them in the process.

Under the thick layer of fog, however, it was hard to tell what exactly was in front of us.

"Look!" Saburo suddenly called at my side, pointing at something in the grey mist ahead.

I cursed, when I realized what was going on. Because I had no cavalry in my force, while Munekata brought plenty, he had ordered a fraction of his horsemen to support my advance, but obviously the commander was eager for glory and engaged the enemy on his own.

This reckless behaviour could easily thwart the plan and so I let my battlecry sound and rush my men forward to engage the enemy.

Obviously surprised by our sudden forceful assault, the Shoni in the valley were quickly overpowered, much quicker than I had hoped for.

I did not know how my ally's troops facing Sukemoto's main line fared in the fighting, but I knew that Daimyo Shoni had a considerable number of Samurai skilled with the sword under his command. Each of them was easily worth a handful of Ashigaru in battle and in their entirety a threat to our success.

So I didn't waste time and lined up my troops at the base of the hill. We left the horses behind and quickly went on to ascend the incline.

When we arrived at the top and finally I had a better overview over the course of the battle, I became aware that as suddenly as it had begun, the battle has become a race for taken heads and so my men and I, confident in the coming victory, threw ourselves into the fray to cut down as many enemies as possible.

Quickly the last resistance faded away and the puny remainders of Daimyo Shoni's once proud army were hunted down and obliterated without mercy.

On this day the Shoni have lost their Daimyo and the instrument of their power, taken them out of the game for hegemony over Kyushu at least for some time. Things were looking much better for our alliance. Still, with the Sagara there was another, even more powerful clan that would not be overcome easily.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; June 02, 2011 at 02:57 AM.

Read my AARs:

i just realized you changed the troop count on units. epic

Quote Originally Posted by dowdpride View Post
    i just realized you changed the troop count on units. epic
    Indeed I have. I experimented a bit with the modifier and this is what I found to be the best balance for me.

Read my AARs:

Great update and a huge battle. Taking Kyushu really is slow going isn't it.

Great to see your AAR is still standing strong. I like the last battle especially, the pics are extraordinary.

Thank you guys! I just wanted to say that I'm taking a break for a few weeks, in order to get some important real life stuff done. I'll be back in June, though.

Read my AARs:

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    Thank you guys! I just wanted to say that I'm taking a break for a few weeks, in order to get some important real life stuff done. I'll be back in June, though.
    No problem, Lysimachos I hope you return to us swiftly to continue this magnificent AAR! Good luck with your RL stuff..

i really like it so far. keep it up

Fair enough, take the time you need we'll stll be here waiting.

Well, that ship carrying our hero's father can't just be an accident. Lysimachos is planning something. Anybody want to take a stab at it while he's away?

Great AAR, fresh new concept, the writing is a thing of beauty. Keep up the good work and you WILL receive Martin points.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin the Dread View Post
    Well, that ship carrying our hero's father can't just be an accident. Lysimachos is planning something. Anybody want to take a stab at it while he's away?

Great AAR, fresh new concept, the writing is a thing of beauty. Keep up the good work and you WILL receive Martin points.
    I wouldn't wanna try guessing what comes next because if I write it down well...lets just say I won't live long enough to write it all down....with Lysimachos writting possibilities are endless

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast