Thread: Planning for a Medieval 2 mod, but which setting? (started modeling)

Default Planning for a Medieval 2 mod, but which setting? (settled for 30 years war)

When I first saw the screenshots of M2 I was really thrilled at the enhanced graphics, especially the variations within units. I immidiately began feeling the urge to mod the game

Currently working on the warhammer mod for RTW I felt I wanted to go historical for M2..

So I basically came up with two possible themes that I'd be willing to work with: Thirty years war (1618-1648) or Great northern war (1700-1721). I can't make up my mind! Let's look at some pros for the different ideas:

Thirty years war pros:

- Constant, confused warfare
    - A lot of unit types
    - Lack of uniforms means fun modeling and a possibility to fully benefit from the variations-within-unit system
    - Two different religions (well, branches of the same religion) engaged in an epic struggle
    - A time of fundamental development of warfare
    - Probably a bigger interest in the period since it was a conflict that involved larger parts of Europe (though the actual war zone was limited to Germany)
    - Lots of famous characters such as Tilly, Wallenstein, Gustavus Adolphus, Christian IV, cardinal Richelieu a.s.o.

Great northern war pros:

- Limited scale and number of factions and units means it has a bigger chance of being finished
    - Modeling will be quicker since many units use similar uniforms and there are smaller variations within the units
    - There's just something about those strong colored uniforms mixed with gun smoke, blood and dirt
    - There's no risk of this period being covered by CA themselves in the expansion
    - More varied warfare with more (and more mobile) artillery, bayonets a.s.o.
    - Probably a bit more suited for the engine since the huge, slow battle formations had begun to disappear.

What do you guys think? Personally I'm slightly leaning towards 30 years war but still Great northern war would be really cool as well! argh! Do you think the reformation up to 1648 will be covered in the expansion? Because then it would be a lot of wasted time doing 30 years war.

Oh, and btw I'm a modeler so I'd do all models and textures myself, but for either of the projects I'd need help from historians, scripters and generally skilled and devoted people
    Last edited by quadrille; February 19, 2006 at 12:48 PM.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Well, from your choices I think the 30 years war seems more intresting, but personally I think the most important mod is to first get the game actually divided into periods...

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

@Kscott: thanks for the advice, as for modding in different periods that type of modding isn't my cup of tea

Is no one interested in the era or what's wrong? Is it too early to start talking about M2 mods?

Anyway, I've modeled a sort of base mesh to build on, I tried to make it roughly follow the polycount of M2 models..

It's about 1200 triangles..

I agree, it's amazing!
    But we don't know if they will use CAS files again. We also don't know how to make a unit, because they will add many models in a unit (difference between soldiers) so we should wait for the demo before start making a mod for M2TW.
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Thanks guys, well honestly it's not too difficult figuring out how it works (even if I'm wrong it'll be a real easy thing to fix). You gotta admit it's a great way to get a head start

Quote Originally Posted by bestantreas
    I agree, it's amazing!
    But we don't know if they will use CAS files again. We also don't know how to make a unit, because they will add many models in a unit (difference between soldiers) so we should wait for the demo before start making a mod for M2TW.
    thats what I am doing for Transylvania Total War.

actually i thought about this myself... and although it may sound lame... i thought about a RTW mod for it haha. But i think if it's possible a starcraft mod would major league rock.

Yeah I think the subject has the potential to make an excellent mod. I've been thinking a little about the factions list, what do you think?

- Protestant Union (german protestant states)
    - Catholic League (german catholic states, led by the emperor)
    - Saxony
    - Bavaria?
    - Spain
    - Transylvania
    - Royal Hungary
    - Netherlands
    - Denmark
    - Sweden
    - France
    - Poland

Have I forgotten anyone?

Kakhaber's Avatar Civis

Kingdom of Georgia

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakhaber
    Kingdom of Georgia
    barring the fact it does not seem the mod extends to the ottoman empire? Or that I do not think georgia had survived until the 1700s?

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by quadrille
    Yeah I think the subject has the potential to make an excellent mod. I've been thinking a little about the factions list, what do you think?

- Protestant Union (german protestant states)
    - Catholic League (german catholic states, led by the emperor)
    - Saxony
    - Bavaria?
    - Spain
    - Transylvania
    - Royal Hungary
    - Netherlands
    - Denmark
    - Sweden
    - France
    - Poland
    so far so good. But how about Austria (or is that Royal Hungry). And Italy seems empty, perhaps, Genoa, Venice or Savoy. And I think Transylvania was part of the Ottoman Empire at the time
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

I will try and limit the size of the map (thereby also the number of factions), so Georgia is out I'm afraid, as are the Ottomans.

Austria is a little tricky, I think the best thing to do would be to call it "Habsburg Empire". when I think about it it might be a good idea actually, that would render Spain useless too (which is good since they only controlled the spanish Netherlands in the area that will fit on the map).

As for Italian states I'll try and avoid having them on the map since they didn't play any mayor role in the war. If I have to include Italian states it'll most likely be Venice and Milan.

I think Transylvania was sort of semi independant, the reason they're in is they did play a role in the early phase of the war.

England (and Scotland maybe?) is a problem, if the map is supposed to be somewhat correct including France will mean including the british islands as well.. But they didn't participate in the thirty years war (I suppose they had enough to worry about back home, with the civil war and all that). Still it would be cool to have them in, with Cromwell a.s.o. (but a bit of extra work).

Merged double post. - Trajan

Working on a couple of head variations...

Last edited by Trajan; February 18, 2006 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

Modding Beggar

georgia Took No Part In 30 Year War,neither It Took Part In Any Other Wars After "1089-1242".

flame deleted in response to Georgia spam-eXc
    Last edited by John I Tzimisces; February 19, 2006 at 01:23 PM.

This mod will be about the 30 years war ( 1618-1648) not about 1089-1242 so don't post stupid things!