Thread: Help! Constant "stuttering" that lasts a few seconds

Default Help! Constant "stuttering" that lasts a few seconds

Hello,

I have an issue where specifically in battles the game will just lag itself to death for a couple of seconds and become unresponsive (not frozen though, just like 2-3FPS) and then resume itself and plays normal. My performance under normal circumstances is great and my graphics settings seem to make no difference. The game just has patches of stuttering and lag ingame that keeps happening, specifically when I move the camera. It makes battles unplayable because it keeps happening every 10 seconds.

My system:

Core i7 920 @ 3.7GHZ (HT enabled)
    HD5870 Vapor-X @ 900/1300MHZ
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHZ CL7 RAM
    2xSamsung SpinPoint F3 320GB RAID 0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme

Settings:
    Everything Ultra, Large unit scale
    SSAO, HDR, DOF everything enabled

Any advice, please? I'm not enjoying my game whatsoever

Default Re: Help! Constant "stuttering" that lasts a few seconds

Quote Originally Posted by izuata View Post
    Hello,

I have an issue where specifically in battles the game will just lag itself to death for a couple of seconds and become unresponsive (not frozen though, just like 2-3FPS) and then resume itself and plays normal. My performance under normal circumstances is great and my graphics settings seem to make no difference. The game just has patches of stuttering and lag ingame that keeps happening, specifically when I move the camera. It makes battles unplayable because it keeps happening every 10 seconds.

My system:

Core i7 920 @ 3.7GHZ (HT enabled)
    HD5870 Vapor-X @ 900/1300MHZ
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHZ CL7 RAM
    2xSamsung SpinPoint F3 320GB RAID 0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme

Settings:
    Everything Ultra, Large unit scale
    SSAO, HDR, DOF everything enabled

Any advice, please? I'm not enjoying my game whatsoever
    turn off some of the effects perhaps to see if that makes a diff. but i suspect you might need to change your drivers.

some here if you havent seen.

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

I was using Catalyst 11.2. I've now installed the 11.4 RC2 driver posted in the forum you linked. I'll try it and report back.

Also, isn't there a confirmed issue where the game only utilizes one CPU core/thread?

I was using Catalyst 11.2. I've now installed the 11.4 RC2 driver posted in the forum you linked. I'll try it and report back.

Also, isn't there a confirmed issue where the game only utilizes one CPU core/thread?
    well am running a corei7 and a 580 and perf is good. have tried quite a few drivers and one driver caused the game to pause much like what you mentioned. so far on a diff/older driver its butter smooth.

an official comment was made by someone on this site stating that shogun2 was taking advantage of multiple cpus. (maybe it's one core and multiple threads..)

perhaps others might confirm/disagree with this.

I've tried after the RC2 driver and happy to report pausing is gone. I don't know if it was the driver or that I assigned processor affinity in task manager, but it's smoooooth now. Loving the game. Thank you mate.

I've tried after the RC2 driver and happy to report pausing is gone. I don't know if it was the driver or that I assigned processor affinity in task manager, but it's smoooooth now. Loving the game. Thank you mate.
    np. btw i think this pausing issue is related to when ai reinforments come in. i was in the middle of siege and this happened again.

annoying. might start a thread over this but gonna do some more testing first.

as i remember right other total wars like medieval suffered from this from time to time. now my setup was completely different since those days so perhaps its a recurring coding issue.

try moving the mouse cursor up to the minimap and using the keyboard to move the camera around.

do you still get the stutter? if so, then there is probably something to do with your system.

i get slight noticeable stutter in battles when my mouse moves over a unit and detail shows up beside the mouse cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by homefry View Post
    try moving the mouse cursor up to the minimap and using the keyboard to move the camera around.

do you still get the stutter? if so, then there is probably something to do with your system.

i get slight noticeable stutter in battles when my mouse moves over a unit and detail shows up beside the mouse cursor.
    not talking about input or mouse lag. this is graphical stuttering or slow down of units

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    not talking about input or mouse lag. this is graphical stuttering or slow down of units
    i'm also not talking about mouse or input lag.

the stutter happens because the system is calculating the unit details for the unit you move your mouse over.

mouse lag is not the same as causing the game to lag with your mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by homefry View Post
    i'm also not talking about mouse or input lag.

the stutter happens because the system is calculating the unit details for the unit you move your mouse over.

mouse lag is not the same as causing the game to lag with your mouse.
    this is a shogun2 prob as i can run everything else i got on my pc zero probs. i've run several game benchmarks etc...

my system should calculate whatever it needs to m8. a corei7 at 4ghz is enough trust me.

i been playing 15yrs and know when a game isnt well optmised. i suspect shogun2 has some niggles. but it does run 90 percent brilliantly for me. (by that i mean nr 100fps with ultra and almost no melee slow down).

it's the 10 percent that cause headaches