Thread: Katana or yari cav?

Default Katana or yari cav?

What do you guys think?.It's yari for me,cost less and seem to get more kills altough i can see katana been pretty brutal with charge upgrade but i have not vet any yet.

Default Re: Katana or yari cav?

I get great guards, then if the size is large I'll also grab my elite katana calvary. One great guard can defeat 2 yari calvary most of the time! Also, my general is as strong as a great guard as well. (Actually stronger since he is immune to the anti cavalry-bonus, this makes a bunch of laughs when I charge his ashigaru yari head on and destroy them instantly with no losses).

I would guess Katana Cavalry is best used when you keep your Cav in close combat for a while. While Yari is more of a Charge and Retreat and Repeat tactic.

I take yari over katana cav simply due to the charge bonus, and cheapness (in contrast to the katana cav). I would sooner take my great guard veterens than katana cav tbh.
    My friend you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old lie. Dulce et decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

-Wilfred Owen-

YARI! The number of times I've decimated enemy cav with them and then gone on to kill the general/archers or flank the main enemy line. They don't cost too much and they have a great charge bonus, but as soon as I get Great Guard I'm switching to those ;P

Yari have a huge bonus against enemy cavalry whilst Samurai are equipped with better armour and a massive melee attack.

Therefore ideally choose Yari for fighting against other horsemen and Samuari cavalry to carve-up ground troops.

Might be a good idea to have one of each in preparation for any tactical situation.

I think Yari is the cheap alternative for someone who has an army with focus on infantry, acting as counter-chargers, flankers and generally screwing with archery. I think the Katana ones are more for people with a focus on Cavalry, serving as more reliable heavy hitters when you get stuck in.

Yari Cav are the equivilent of Napoleon's lancers pretty much. And great guard (when decently vetted), old guard
    My friend you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old lie. Dulce et decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

-Wilfred Owen-

I only use yari for my cav. I use them as archer and general killers, which they excell at.

yari simply becasue that initial charge is priceless

Yari Cavalry. In Siege Battles, Katana cavalry for enhanced flexibility.

Has anyone got a vet katana cav yet?I would really like to know what they perform like.Great guards are power houses but really leave holes in other parts of your army and 2 of them on a 10k battle can really leave you lacking in everything else,saying that though i bring 2 extra yari ashi since i have started seeing them roaming the battle field more regualy,you defenitly dont want to be caught katana or archer spamming against them.

Shocked's Avatar Campidoctor

Yari = the best. Defeats enemy cav, then has a powerful charge for attacking the enemy infantry.
    Computer specifications -
    GPU: GTX 780
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k overclocked @ 4 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3
    Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 4

I only use my vetren great gaurd, but if i have cash leftover ill throw in a yari cav. I acually havent used katana cav once.

pointwolf's Avatar Tiro

I think catana cav are worse last night a light cav unit destroyed one of my catana cavs just by standing.

I have a couple of katana cav vets... they were a bit underwhelming to be honest

Yari are definitely the better option for the single reason that they beat the other calvary. Katana Cavalry are rarely of any use.

Yari - I would like to see katana cav more, but bonus vs other cav AND that hefty charge bonus, they just rock <3