Thread: archers in seiges

Default archers in seiges

have a major problem with archery in seiges.......they are firing from so low with no line of sight and dropping all their arrows on units standing back from the walls......surely at best all they could do is fire randomly into set area an not be able to track moving units they couldln't possibly see and drop arrows on them....anyone feeling me on this?

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

Default Re: archers in seiges

Yeah, I noticed this too. It gives the attacker a pretty unfare advantage I think. I wounder if its possible to fix this??? Probably not...

Only problem is you can easily stack units along the walls and archers cannot do much to them either, won many a outmatched seige by putting my melee units along the walls waiting out the archers and ready for when the ai starts scaling the walls.

Plus your unmanned buildings that fire until captured which are not that big a deal but still add up over the course of a long seige where your wittling down their units inside.

Maybe a heavier accuracy penalty for firing into castles, bigger castle bigger penalty, but just making ai or your troop fire completely random would totally negate archers usefulness in seiges. Where you can already pretty heavily use the walls the negate them effectively already. For all i know there might already be an accuracy system built in there certainly are modifiers for high and low ground firing and etc, just hard to really measure less someone digs out the numbers from the game code.

Is there a height modifier on accuracy? If so, that would do it for ya, since the castles are raised up. Also, it would correct for different castle tiers, rather than making a blanket castle penalty which would effect firing into the lower tiers as bad as firing into the higher ones.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

There is no height modifier, there should be though so that your garrisoned archers can easily take on the archers in the field, like it was in older total war games with bows.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    There is no height modifier, there should be though so that your garrisoned archers can easily take on the archers in the field, like it was in older total war games with bows.
    Indeed. On the contrary in this game, I'm finding evidence that CA mixed the range bonus up, giving it instead to the lower units (I've had occasions where units lower down were able to hit units on a hill, while those on the hill couldn't reach the ones lower down). If they did mix it up, then surely it is very easily fixed in a patch.
    Maybe a heavier accuracy penalty for firing into castles, bigger castle bigger penalty, but just making ai or your troop fire completely random would totally negate archers usefulness in seiges. Where you can already pretty heavily use the walls the negate them effectively already. For all i know there might already be an accuracy system built in there certainly are modifiers for high and low ground firing and etc, just hard to really measure less someone digs out the numbers from the game code.
    Spot on - all it needs is a significant hit to the accuracy of the archers on the outside - given they can't actually see their enemy in many cases.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

the lower castle tiers need towers that shoot arrows.

and increase the number of towers that shoot arrows. right now the best strategy is just to bring archers and rain arrows into the compound.