Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Morality of Absolute Monarchy [Gunny v. Kaitsar] Commentary Thread

Default The Morality of Absolute Monarchy [Gunny v. Kaitsar] Commentary Thread

Commentate, masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man
    obviously I'm a large angry black woman and you're a hot blonde!

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The Morality of Absolute Monarchy [Gunny v. Kaitsar] Commentary Thread

So, a monarchy could only exist in a unanomously christian society.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Default Re: The Morality of Absolute Monarchy [Gunny v. Kaitsar] Commentary Thread

That's not what I said.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitsar View Post
    That's not what I said.
    You did reference the teachings of christianity in every second sentence.

EDIT.
    My mistake: you reference the teachings of christianity in every sentence.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

That doesn't mean it will only work in a unanimously Christian society.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

That doesn't mean it will only work in a unanimously Christian society.
    How would you force the people of different faiths into accepting the divine rule of a deity they don't believe in?
    -Betrand Russell

They don't have to, and even the ruler doesn't have to be Christian, he just can't have policies that contradict Christian morality.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

They don't have to, and even the ruler doesn't have to be Christian, he just can't have policies that contradict Christian morality.
    ......and people would be ok with that?
    -Betrand Russell

I see no reason why they wouldn't be.

So an Islamic Absolute Ruler must follow Christian morality?

If he his policies go against Christian morality he is a tyrant.

Tyranny of course being a concept that predates Christian moralism by centuries...
    قرطاج يجب ان تدمر

Himster's Avatar Praeses

If he his policies go against Christian morality he is a tyrant.
    So if he tolerates homosexuals he becomes a tyrant and if he declares homosexuality a crime punishable by death he's perfectly justified?

(Personally I interpret the law against homosexuality strictly only applies to the jewish community, but my interpretation seems to be in the minority right now)
    -Betrand Russell

Tyranny of course being a concept that predates Christian moralism by centuries...
    Aren't you the smart one, words can be used in philosophies and take on different meanings based on points of view. And Christian moralism has been ever-existent, but there have been times where nobody followed it because they didn't know of it.
    So if he tolerates homosexuals he becomes a tyrant and if he declares homosexuality a crime punishable by death he's perfectly justified?
    No, homosexual activity is a sin just like lying is. Would I banish a liar from the Church and kill them? No. They are both sins, we are all sinners, we need to work not to sin. If by "tolerates" you mean is okay with homosexual sex and "marriage" than yes, he would be a tyrant. If by "tolerate" you mean he doesn't kill them or discriminate against them in any way, then he is a good ruler operating under Christian moral values. If he killed homosexuals, he would certainly be a tyrant.

I'll put in a few comments here: what people think of "Absolute Monarchy" nowadays is completely and utterly distorted, ergo, the notion that it was all about a single person with unlimited powers. Fact is that unwritten Tradition and Law were still a major impediment to abuse by Monarchical institutions during the age of Absolutism, and that notion of unbrindled personal despotism came only to be true with the advent of Fascism and similar Totalitarian regimes.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I disagree with Kaitsar's strictly religious views on morality and legitimacy, and as such I regard all his arguments as without merit.

This isn't a stab at you, Kaitsar: your morality is your own. I do, however, fundamentally disagree with it.

Finally, someone who's respectful!

Thank you poach.

The real irony of this position here is that absolute monarchies tended to rebel against church establishment and traditional mores and leaned more towards acceptance of enlightenment philosophies and the development of humanist concepts.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Tell that to the Tsars.

Really? What would you believe about Catherine II, Peter I, and Alexander? They progressively reformed the old systems and unlike other monarchies, the tsars did not have to answer to a religious leader.

Also in the west I cite Louis XIV and XV of France, Frederick III and VI of Denmark-Norway, Karl XII of Sweden, James and Charles Stuart of England, Frederick the Great, HRE Joseph II, Leopold of Tuscany, Maria Carolina of Naples, Maria Theresa of Austria, Carlos III of Spain, and Napoleon.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast