Thread: How to get Veterans the best way

Default How to get Veterans the best way

Hello,

I wondered how to get Veteran Samurai Cavalry units the best way. I've had no problems getting Yari Samurai and all kinds of Ashigaru quickly, but haven't gotten a single Yari Cavalry unit yet even though they've done most of the shock, awe and killing.

I've realised that the units must get depleted in a way too, but is there any other hint to it? Do you know about it?

Best regards

Ritterlichvon86

Default Re: How to get Veterans the best way

I'm not entirely sure. For me, it's been a bit random but I'm guessing you're right, more or less, i.e. get them into a fight and have them perform well. The only pointer I can give is that all my veteran units were fighting in "eye of the storm" - as in a large front with both players having comitted almost all their forces, though I doubt it's that specific.
    Coming soon.

I think there is an element of randomness in it, but fighting, killing and dying awards XP. I'm guessing the more expensive a unit is the more XP you need in a battle to get recognized? I am not sure if chasing down ashigaru is very rewarding in XP - first off they are cheap units but also they rout pretty fast so you don't get all the kills you could on a unit that doesn't shatter (I am just speculating here, maybe routs are taken into consideration? I'm not sure). I've had the most success chasing down light cav in order to get initial cav promotions.

My light cav always fight very well but they never get veteran. I'm a bit confused about that.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

I think the way the veterancy system works is by awarding the cheapest units in your army first then climbing up the scale to the more expensive. For example Loan Swords or Yari Ashigaru are usually the first ones in my army set up to be awarded veterancy even if in the battle report it says that a Yari Cav unit got more xp in the fight. If I take an army of samurai and one Ashigaru and commit the unit to battle they will usually be awarded vet status first.

Try to bring higher level units with you and no Ashigaru and see if that helps or use your samurai units to do the bulk of the killing and dieing. This usually works.

When I was trying to level up Yari Cav I brought no Ashigaru units and the Yari Cav usually were awarded if my Naginatas or Katanas weren't awarded first. Hope it helps and good luck.

Remember that if you research the three spear techs, you end up with 3 XP from recruitment.

just find a friend, and do tons of quick battles against eachother with small unit sizes, works perfect, also unlocks the map.

to me it seems to always pick the lowest tech of a random category, so arrow, spear, cav, sword. kinda annoying if you bring one Yari ashiguru and it gets vet every game.

If your wanting to use ashigaru in your army but wanting to level a more expensive unit (such as yari cav) make sure that all the troops are already veterans. (Thats how i got 3 units of Great Guards to vet status)

Awesome, so that's how it works. +rep

Get a lot kills for a unit but a lot of deaths too. My yari ashigaru unit got a few kills but lost 90% of their men, and were even routing before the battle ended, but they still became vets. I'm not sure about this, but winning battles might help too. I'm not sure tho...

I would agree with the notion that the low-level units gain experience quicker and take precedent over more expensive units.

I found that the only way I could veteran Katana Samurai was by having no Ashigaru units or light cavalry thus making the swordsmen the cheapest unit in my army.

Doesn't make great sense to me but hoping CA will fix.

I've had several archer units with 150+ kills but no veteran status... :<

I think they are more prone to rank up if they are a low cost unit that kills something high- that's why, when I field them, rookie Loan Sword and Yari Yashigaru units ALWAYS take the rank up.

Do you know what I did when I wanted a levelled up Ninja, just to get one going?

I played a game with all Ninjas One of them was obund to do well enough, and level up! And that they did!

Really, they need to pull through some impossible odds to get veteran status. I had a unit of Yari cav that tanked 2 units of Yari cav and survived to charge and run down a full unit of Bow cavalry. The only veteran units were 2 units of Loan-swords.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Ok, I think I've finally figured out how this works.

First, to gain get to veterancy in one fight, your unit has to kill enough so that it would gain one whole level if it were a single player battle. This varies depending on your unit, i.e your katana samurai have to kill a lot more enemy than your yari ashiguru to get to level 1. As with single player you get lots of juicy xp for killing routing units so factor this in.

Once the battle is over, it will look at all your units that killed enough to get to level 1... and then pick the cheapest and offer to let you make it a veteran!

So make sure the unit you want to get to veteran killls enough to level, and is the cheapest non veteran on the field, and it will always work.

Quote Originally Posted by Meataus View Post
    Ok, I think I've finally figured out how this works.

First, to gain get to veterancy in one fight, your unit has to kill enough so that it would gain one whole level if it were a single player battle. This varies depending on your unit, i.e your katana samurai have to kill a lot more enemy than your yari ashiguru to get to level 1. As with single player you get lots of juicy xp for killing routing units so factor this in.

Once the battle is over, it will look at all your units that killed enough to get to level 1... and then pick the cheapest and offer to let you make it a veteran!

So make sure the unit you want to get to veteran killls enough to level, and is the cheapest non veteran on the field, and it will always work.
    ^^^
    This!

And makes perfect sense to me... Dont think it needs to be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Caesarian View Post
    ^^^
    This!

And makes perfect sense to me... Dont think it needs to be fixed
    There is some hidden factor, as losing men also helps you rank up in single player, but basically if your unit kills a lot, you should lose men too.

your retainers can help as well,so if you want cav to upgrade get alot of cav based retainers then use say 2 vet yari cav and 1 normal katana cav,if you use that katana cav well in battle he should upgrade.