Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: When will the new total war game come out?

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: When will the new total war game come out?

seriously, out of the box it was a good game. Your stormy clouds make me sad.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

More than likely there will be an expansion for Shogun 2 before any entirely new title comes out. I do however wonder if they'll simply re-do what they did the first time and make the expansion cover the Mongols. If not that I don't know what, I'm not entirely well versed on 16th century Japanese history.

As for the next full game it will probably come around in 2013 or 2014 depending on what it is. For instance if CA decides to take the big leap of faith and try and apply a WWI or...dare I say...WWII era setting to the TW model there's no doubt in my mind it will take a LONG TIME to hammer out. Accounting for machine guns, grenades, tanks, planes, battleships, submarines, automatic weapons, etc would take not only an entirely new technical structure but would also need some heavy conceptual ideas and mechanics behind it.

Yet I do believe CA actually said they would never take TW into the 20th century....granted sometimes things change but I doubt it.

Now despite my love for the Greco-Roman era I'm not entirely sure I'd want a Rome 2 quite yet. I mean, out of their six games two of them are remakes. Are remakes bad? No but I don't think CA would want to get stuck in a process of simply remaking their games every so many years. Yet, the issue now is where do they go next. There are many possibilities but the ones which would get the greatest amount of attention have been covered: ancient Greco-Roman, Medieval Europe/Middle East, Feudal Japan, the Age of Enlightenment (i.e. 18th century), and Napoleonic Europe.

I think the best idea would be for CA to concentrate on future games that sort of act like the M2TW expansion Kingdoms or Rome's Alexander expansion. Essentially, CA could revisit any time period they wanted without making it feel like a simple re-work. How? By having the game be made up of a number of specialized historical campaigns (just like Kingdoms).

For instance this idea applied to a Roman era setting could feature such campaigns like Julius Ceasar's conquest of Gaul, the Punic Wars, the civil war between Caesar and Pompey and then Mark Antony and Augustus, among other military campaigns in the Middle East/Anatolia/Greece/etc. While it may not be as fun without having that totally freeform grand campaign I think it would be a good experiment for CA to try out. With specific campaigns and events CA could concentrate more on making the experience a lot more in-depth.

I don't know...anyone else like this idea?
    Last edited by VOP2288; March 22, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

but I dont wanna wait another 2-3 years for another total war game, and why does everyone want rome 2? before you know it the TW series is gonna be going in a loop! just get on with it and due some Victorian era game er somethin.Im kinda sick of Europe...
    Last edited by Moorish guy; March 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

i too hope they dont do a remake of a previous title. Heres to something new :cheers:

Civitate

ust get on with it and due some Victorian era game er somethin.Im kinda sick of Europe...
    You do realize that a Victorian era game would most likely take place in Europe right?

If they did do a new Euro-centric game I think I'd like one set in the 15th and 16th century when the Ottomans were rising to power, the Italian city-states were duking it out amongst each other/France/HRE, the Americas were still being discovered and conquered, Luther and Protestants were on the rise, and the Holy Roman Empire was on the decline.

...oh and when Henry VIII was sleeping with anything he could find.

I've been watching a lot of The Tudors lately...that show plus Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood kind of makes me want to play a TW game in that time period.
    Last edited by VOP2288; March 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    You do realize that a Victorian era game would most likely take place in Europe right?

LOL, Victorian Era =
    The Victorian era of the United Kingdom was the period of Queen Victoria's reign from 20 June 1837 until her death on 22 January 1901.[1] The reign was a long period of prosperity for the British people, as a result of profits gained from the British Empire, as well as from industrial improvements at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_era

I want Rome 2.. with India... and more of North Africa... and China... and the Europa Barbarorum team hired on for the project.

"Ancient World: Total War" just doesn't have a nice ring to it though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Total War game set in a different setting. Different from all those we've seen in the titles they've released. Perhaps a fantasy, alternate history/universe, and fictional setting? But then again I do expect them to create Rome 2 because its the only title left they haven't made a sequel to. Plus its a chance to make up for those horrid visuals in Rome and improve its the original aspects.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Abriael View Post
    I'm sure you, me and the other 500 that would buy it, would be delighted
    If they made a good game, it would sell. Most gamers don't care about the time period at all; they only care to play amazing games with great graphics. Also, everyone knows about ancient Egypt. You can't deny that the time period is perfect for a Total War game.

"Arabia: Total War" Play in the 7th century A.D. and conquer the Middle East, Africa, and parts of Europe in the spread of the new "religion", ISLAM! Absorb the empires of Persia, the Byzantines, and the barbarian heathens of southern Europe!

Or play in the Pre-historic period of ancient Egypt and fight to unite the two Egypts under one banner. And then conquer Nubia, and push into Canaan!

Or Sumeria: Total War, where the origin of chariots, phalanx formations, helmets, body armor, long-distance trade, writing, advanced architecture, and irrigation came from! A war of city-states, fighting each other to conquer and forge an empire. And what disasters will this new Akkadian influence have on the cradle of civilization?!

Just some ideas I guess.
    Last edited by YuilenZ01; March 22, 2011 at 01:08 AM.

Civitate

Most gamers don't care about the time period at all; they only care to play amazing games with great graphics.
    This statement is false in relation to TW gamers. TW is actually quite the niche market in comparison to typical popular franchises that may cater to those that want big explosions and chainsaws on their guns. I think it's safe to say that a majority of TW players are full blown history buffs or at least have an interest in certain historical aspects. That being said, every history buff has one or more favorite eras and/or more than one favorite historical location/region/nation/empire. Thus - the time period is very important.

However it is true that even those that may not like a certain time period or location will probably at least try the game and then maybe take an interest in it. For example, I wasn't too excited about Empire. My areas of interest are deeply rooted in the Greco-Roman era and English/Scottish medieval history. Yet I still tried Empire out and now I have established a bit on an interest in 18th century Europe (but Rome is still my favorite game).

Long story short: initially, the time period of the TW game will get a large number of both positive and negative feedback from players. Yet, that initial feedback can change for some people while others may never pick up the game in the first place b/c of it. For example, I would not be excited if the next game was the above poster's idea of "Sumeria: TW". I would very hesitant going into it b/c that area of history is not entirely my cup of tea. Yet, I might try it anyway and have my mind change.
    Last edited by VOP2288; March 22, 2011 at 01:24 AM.

This statement is false in relation to TW gamers. TW is actually quite the niche market in comparison to typical popular franchises that may cater to those that want big explosions and chainsaws on their guns. I think it's safe to say that a majority of TW players are full blown history buffs or at least have an interest in certain historical aspects. That being said, every history buff has one or more favorite eras and/or more than one favorite historical location/region/nation/empire. Thus - the time period is very important.

However it is true that even those that may not like a certain time period or location will probably at least try the game and then maybe take an interest in it. For example, I wasn't too excited about Empire. My areas of interest are deeply rooted in the Greco-Roman era and English/Scottish medieval history. Yet I still tried Empire out and now I have established a bit on an interest in 18th century Europe (but Rome is still my favorite game).
    Or they want to try something new rather than the same old RTS game they would usually play.

A real word. I agree with you. Not for nothing I've been playing Medieval for years.

Probably will be about 2 years until we see another "new" Total War game. We'll probably see an expansion, maybe even something on the scale of Napoleon, by the end of 2012.

As for what the new game will be? I'm still tired of Europe maps. My vote goes towards a Romance of the Three Kingdoms sort of Total War -- give us eastern Asia/China. That would give us some interesting new geography, a nifty new map, and if they were really ambitious they could try to do river warfare instead of just along the coasts. I believe China did a good bit of naval warfare upriver.

@ Dark Lords Heir:

Looking at your avatar and signature.. i'm guessing you're looking for some sort of a middle earth: total war? Don't think it's on CA's list of priorities but maybe in a decade who knows.

As for sumaria: TW and anything of the like, I think the niche is too narrow. Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, or Ancient China seems more likely since they're probably going to want a change from the european theater.

I think of this way, a whole bunch of movies have been themed on medieval times, 18th century, ancient greece, the roman empire and both world wars.

Not to mention a lot of really cool non-hollywoodian films on medieval japan and ancient China.

What's missing in the games are ancient china and ancient greece both of which have very wide niches (in part thanks to the cinemas).. So I think CA may be heading that way.

Maybe i'm the only one but i think a game set in the 1800's would be outstandingly good. 1815-1905. Start with flintlocks, move up to percussion caps, needle rifles, metallic cartridges and ultimately quick-firing cannons and maxim guns. Spooge. Plus pickelhaubes!

Oh and you can do Zulu wars, for a little bit of fun. It's a sadly neglected period.

Either that or Pike & Shot 1500/1600 Europe.

I think what most people fail to see here is that the period and geographical location do not contribute to the fun factor as much as it seems at first. What matters here is presentation and gameplay, and how good the actual game mechanics are. History can teach us a lot, if you look hard you will find a lot of historical information about almost every smallest country and nation. And for example Africa: TW would be just as exciting as Shogun 2 if they made it right. Trust me, if the actual gameplay and presentation is good, you will easily get sucked into its era and location on the map. Mods have taught me that.

Adrian-Virgil's Avatar Foederatus

I think they will come up with something between the Napoleon time and ww1!American Civil WAr or who knows Victorian perioad. I love Rome total war but i really don't think CA will come out with Rome 2 after Shogun 2! They will very probably move forward!

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    [stupid post]random picture and text not discrediting what he said at all[ stupid post
    guess where the british empire was based?

you dont come to this forum often, do you? Most people have no idea whats going on historically and from the "omg the graphixs SUKK!!" i'd say most people come for the graphics which is a ridiculous way to pick out games. Obviously a fair amount of people are really into history but i would say far from the majority.

The only reason people dont pick up a copy of the game is dislike of the timeframe, people with little intrest in the history can still enjoy the games.

Long story short: initially, the time period of the TW game will get a large number of both positive and negative feedback from players. Yet, that initial feedback can change for some people while others may never pick up the game in the first place b/c of it. For example, I would not be excited if the next game was the above poster's idea of "Sumeria: TW". I would very hesitant going into it b/c that area of history is not entirely my cup of tea. Yet, I might try it anyway and have my mind change.
    i think this actually describes what i mean, the TW series dosent need a riviting time period centered on a well known war or empire to do well as long as the gameplay is still good, etw had no specific war or empire but unfortunetly it didnt have good gameplay either. A well known timeframe will attract alot of people initially but if the game is really good word will spread.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Daneboy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    i too hope they dont do a remake of a previous title. Heres to something new :cheers:
    Wouldn´t you like to see RTW2? Naval warfare in the antique..delicious.