View Poll Results: What do you think, will DotS surpass SS?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • No chance!

23 23.23%
  • Unlikely.

32 32.32%
  • Likely.

25 25.25%
  • Hasta la vista, SS!

19 19.19%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The DotS 'menace' - is Stainless Steel's throne under threat?

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Default Re: The DotS 'menace' - is Stainless Steel's throne under threat?

It has already been beaten by TATW. Which is a fantasy mod, but then again the only thing DotS and SS have in common is the setting.

THREAD CLOSED.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    It has already been beaten by TATW. Which is a fantasy mod, but then again the only thing DotS and SS have in common is the setting.
    OK so in that case has SS 'beaten' BC? Does that question even make sense?

No doubt many SS players will think DoTS is great, and I think it really will be, but consider that a big part of the reason that there is even a vibrant community from which DoTS can now attract fans is because these older 'beaten' mods like SS have kept that community alive.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post

No doubt many SS players will think DoTS is great, and I think it really will be, but consider that a big part of the reason that there is even a vibrant community from which DoTS can now attract fans is because these older 'beaten' mods like SS have kept that community alive.

The quality and depth of our MTW II mods is indeed astounding*. I suppose it just depends on what the players in the mood for. If you'all have time, visit all the MTWII mods. You will instantly retire and be wholly entertained for the rest of eternity...."Bank on it...."

* the same can be said for RTW/MTW-ETW/NTW/S2TW fans as well though...
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post

My point is, DotS cannot 'beat' SS at it's not the same type of mod, just like TATW isn't the same type or mod, or BC isn't the same type of mod.
    Stating "SS cannot be beaten" is silly even if one does think a vastly different mod, like DotS, can be compared to it, as then TATW has 'beaten' SS already.

Ah well in that case I completely agree with you

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

I'd like to disagree with someone but I can't see much to disagree with other than the aforementioned definition of historical and reality.

How in any case does one judge which is better?

I think SS will continue to be more popular because when newcomers come to the forum they view which mod thread has the most users and get attracted to being on the winning side like Manchester United fans do.

That changes a bit when it comes to voting for the mod of the year where SS beat TATW. So I suppose you can also assume that a lot of people play without using the forums or that SS people are more likely to vote or that TATW players are too young to vote (j/k).

On the other hand (I have 3) D.O.T.S got most promising future release type award so presumably those who have not seen it think it's better already. On yet another hand I could compete for that title by simply announcing every possible feature that anyone would want then sitting tight whilst the awards rolled in.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    I'd like to disagree with someone but I can't see much to disagree with other than the aforementioned definition of historical and reality.
    Dont give up so easily, if you put your mind to it you can disagree with anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    I think SS will continue to be more popular because when newcomers come to the forum they view which mod thread has the most users and get attracted to being on the winning side like Manchester United fans do.
    I disagree with what you say, sir, but ill fight to the death for your right to say it!

Scorpius Centaurus's Avatar Miles

SS lost the top spot for popularity to TATW a long long time ago. Without an urgent makeover, I think SS won't be attracting any new players anytime soon... at least not in the numbers like TATW continues to attract. As for Dots, it is hard to say as it hasn't even been released as a beta yet, but I'm guessing it will prove popular because for one thing, it has custom models for all their units. That alone will make it stand out from SS which continues to use many vanilla models.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius Centaurus View Post
    SS lost the top spot for popularity to TATW a long long time ago. Without an urgent makeover, I think SS won't be attracting any new players anytime soon... at least not in the numbers like TATW continues to attract. As for Dots, it is hard to say as it hasn't even been released as a beta yet, but I'm guessing it will prove popular because for one thing, it has custom models for all their units. That alone will make it stand out from SS which continues to use many vanilla models.
    Stainless Steel has shown strong growth with the release of SS6.3 & SS6,4. Third Age encompasses a very popular fantasy series.

P.S. what's this thread really about? MTW II enthusiasts & Fanatics rattling around in a soda can like two dozen Circus Clowns crammed in a Clownmobile.... Why??..cuz they can and it's fun...
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; March 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Evelien's Avatar Miles

Looks really promissing

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Theres many submods of SS that get rid of vanilla skins.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato_Sandwich View Post
    the biggest thing I reckon will be DOTS will be a lot slower. its not about conquering the world. some factions victory conditions like Portugal's is to just survive the campaign. its also as historically accurate as possible. as in not just battle mechanics but everything.
    Sounds good, I think I will try it out.

But it's a bit pointless to discuss a mod that hasn't even been released yet. Plenty of promising mods never make it, so I'll just take it as it comes.

The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    Dont give up so easily, if you put your mind to it you can disagree with anyone!

No you can't.

The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Thats because TATW is unique, while SS has to compete with loads of Medievil mods.

What about Call of Warhammer for example? The fantasy field isn't completely devoid of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    But it's a bit pointless to discuss a mod that hasn't even been released yet. Plenty of promising mods never make it, so I'll just take it as it comes.
    It might be pointless indeed, but just look at the number of posts, votes and views, and you will learn that the people here are pretty much interested in this. That said, it's only human nature, so why should we deny that?

I have a feeling that TATW wouldn't have done so well without the magic of Peter Jackson and crew. After watching those movies, and seeing the bad ass armies they were able to create, I feel a lot of fantasy-admirers within the TW community jumped at the chance to play a MOD involving said armies. That, and the series is extremely popular altogether, as Mega Tortas pointed out. Their units are aesthetically pleasing, to say the least. Who doesn't think Isengard's Uruk-Hai look utterly kick-ass? A lot of gamers go off of aesthetics - you want a game to look pretty - you want to lead truly awesome armies into battle. If this weren't so, then MODs wouldn't try giving M2:TW a total make-over in the first place.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    What about Call of Warhammer for example? The fantasy field isn't completely devoid of competition.
    Yes I know, It's still the only LotR mod for medieval 2.Call of Warhammer seems to be very popular as well.

If you're gonna generalize all historical/Medieval mods, not generalizing all fantasy mods makes little sense.