Thread: August 1945 - the A-Bombs or conventionally invade the mainland of Japan?

Spartan JKM's Avatar Semisalis

Default August 1945 - the A-Bombs or conventionally invade the mainland of Japan?

This issue is very sensitive and debatable (forgive the melodrama).

My grandfather flew the P-47s in Burma. He experienced, in their aftermaths, some horrendous events of Japanese crimes outside the measures of war. My mother always hated it when he gave my brother and I his war stories. He couldn't even walk near a Japanese restaurant without exuding a racist remark! I loved him, and miss him, but he was anything but 'objective'. Plenty of veterans have been more forgiving than he.

I don't want to grind the point of Japan's ignominity during WWII (at least by its military), as this topic is, and will always be, again, very touchy and probably never to be interpreted by complete impartial objectivity (myself included). If I may speak for many, one's first inclination of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki must certainly be how the killing of some 40% (including the after-affects of radiation exposure) of the civilian population of two major cities can be justified; in August of 1945, Hiroshima had roughly 310,000 people, Nagasaki some 250,000. Well, if it meant 'us' or 'them' it can be construed as the right decision. I'm afraid it comes down to one of those debates - you know, it served a larger end which saved more lives, or for 'security of our side' etc. I am an American, a proud one, but it's easy to be blinded a little by the specificity of the demand of 'unconditional surrender'; the Japanese had undergone a terrible affliction of American firebombing the previous seven months, which took as much as half a million civilian lives. A paper by one John Denson, who repudiates the droppings of the atomic bombs, states,

"...The stark fact is that the Japanese leaders, both military and civilian, including the Emperor, were willing to surrender in May of 1945 if the Emperor could remain in place and not be subjected to a war crimes trial after the war. This fact became known to President Truman as early as May of 1945. The Japanese monarchy was one of the oldest in all of history dating back to 660 B.C. The Japanese religion added the belief that all the Emperors were the direct descendants of the sun goddess, Amaterasu. The reigning Emperor Hirohito was the 124th in the direct line of descent. After the bombs were dropped on August 6 and 9 of 1945, and their surrender soon thereafter, the Japanese were allowed to keep their Emperor on the throne and he was not subjected to any war crimes trial. The Emperor, Hirohito, came on the throne in 1926 and continued in his position until his death in 1989. Since President Truman, in effect, accepted the conditional surrender offered by the Japanese as early as May of 1945, the question is posed, "Why then were the bombs dropped?"...

But is it that simple? Were they all in agreement to terms? Was it worth any risk?

The Japanese were terrific soldiers, who were not afraid to fight, and certainly not afraid to die. When ultimate victory was hopeless by late 1944 or so, they were gearing for a greater sacrifice. The kamikaze pilots ('divine wind') looked forward to their fate, termed tokubetsu kōgeki tai (or shinpu) for the missions of WWII; their suicide attacks on Allied ships (the first on record was in October of 1944 around Leyte Gulf, with kamikaze attacks, perhaps impromptu, on the Australian heavy cruiser HMAS Australia and the American fleet tug USS Sonoma, of which the latter was sunk), akin to the spirit of the Samurai Warrior, around Okinawa in April-June of 1945 produced much havoc on the American ships. The magnitude of ferocity and death toll caused by the Battle for Okinawa (March 18 - June 23, 1945) is surpassed only by Stalingrad among the huge clashes of WWII. With the Anglo-American capture of Okinawa, less than 300 miles south of the Jpanese mainland, the island-hopping campaign to establish strategic points to strike at Japan reached its pinnacle.

Basically, this is what we are presented with:

It seems about two million Japanese troops on their homeland, supported by a citizen militia of as much as thirty million, were going to defend the mainland against maybe 1.5 million American invaders (the proposed 'Operation Downfall'). Japanese troops scattered outside of Japan may have numbered well over a million, but they were thoroughly cut off from their homeland due to American command of the sea and air encompassing Japan. The citizens, including women and young teens, were being trained to use bamboo spears! Overall, the invading Americans would be facing a civilian population recently drilled in guerilla tactics. About 1/3 of Japan's urban population, numbering roughly 1 million at this time, had already perished amid the horrific incendiary bombings - the 'burn jobs' of Curtis LeMay.

This saturation bombing, mainly form the B-29s, intended to break Japan's will to continue (the bombings were certainly breaking their capacity to wage war industrially), was used as an impetus to whip up hatred of the Americans and strengthen their resolve to fight to the death as a nation. This was not as difficult in Japan as it would have been in western countries. Remember, the Japanese were a people of a martial culture dating back hundreds of years. Of course there were exceptions: not every single Japanese kamikaze pilot could have looked forward to perishing, and not every single Japanese citizen wanted to fight American invading forces. They must have known victory was impossible by this time, and maybe the United States could have appealed to the ones opposed to resisiting, saying they could keep their emperor, who was a deity to them. But they were certainly in the minority. Perhaps The United States could have continued the naval blockade of Japan, which would have slowly caused Japan to run out of food, ammunition, and other necessities and forced them to surrender. Moreover, they could have continued the conventional bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which had already destroyed sixty or so of Japan's cities. But why delay bringing the most devastating conflict in history to an end?

The Japanese almost always fought to the last man, and even the wounded were often supplied with two grenades. One was to kill any enemy soldier, preferably enemy medical staff if possible, who approached them, and the other was to kill themselves rather than endure the shame of being captured alive. This imbued doctrine was not lessening at all by 1945. This fanaticism is what the Americans would have faced in an amphibious assault on the Japanese home islands. Japan would have been starved and overcome, but at a terrifying cost. Many G.I.s feel Harry Truman saved tens of thousands of American lives. The Japanese even organized attack units of frogmen, who would have crept along the seabed and jammed bamboo poles wired with explosives up upon the bottom of landing craft, which would have destroyed themselves as well as many invaders. Other methods of suicide attack being developed included explosive-filled 'crash boats', guided human torpedoes, guided human rocket-bombs (the 'Baka'?), and specially trained ground suicide units carrying explosives. Perhaps no nation has ever, in a methodical fashion, been prepared to sacrifice its people on the scale Japan was in waning months of WWII. Many critics of this issue harp on the possibility that Japan might have surrendered quickly, and the bombs were totally unnecessary. Well, I don't think it was worth the risk, judging by the patriotic and fanatical nature of the Japanese in the summer of 1945. A big question is how much did U.S. intelligence know of Japan's defence willingness at the time. I think some reports indicated that the Japanese would probably be able to muster, along with the 2 million or so troops, 8,000 aircraft for the defence of the 4 islands against a conventional amphibious invasion. The dispersal of these military resources across Japan, which would doubtless entail careful concealment, would provide the Americans with no opportunity to destroy them from the air. Suicide attacks on the American troops and their covering warships would become paramount. For this purpose, possibly thousands of aircraft were being adapted for massive suicide attacks.

"I realize the tragic significance of the atomic bomb...having found the bomb, we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of young Americans. We shall continue to use it until we completely destroy Japan's power to make war. Only a Japanese surrender will stop us".

- Harry Truman.

There is no substantial evidence that suggests the Japanese were going to surrender UNCONDITIONALLY any time relatively soon. But surrender they were going to. In July 1945 the Allies issued the Potsdam Declaration, which was part of the Potsdam Conference in Germany (which called for the division of Germany and Austria into four occupation zones). Its purpose was to outline the terms of and hasten Japan's surrender without the need for a difficult and very costly amphibious assault. Japan was warned that it faced prompt and utter destruction unless they quickly agreed to an unconditional surrender. Prime Minister Kantaro Suzuki announced that Japan intended to ignore the Potsdam Declaration.

With those profound words, Truman had a very good idea of the full extent of the appalling atrocities committed by the Japanese military in China and during the Pacific War throughout 1941-45. Every aggressor has a 'justified' point of view, and, in this case, it seems Japan felt they didn't violated Chinese sovereignty in 1931 (the 'Manchurian Incident'), but acted as liberators of the Chinese from Western colonialism. They blamed the United States for 'forcing' them to bomb Pearl Harbor, claiming it was a desperate response to Roosevelt's embargoes on raw materials needed by Japan, to wage war no less. But they killed between 5 and possibly 10 million Chinese people between 1937 and 1945. Liberators? The main reason Roosevelt imposed the embargoes of raw materials was to attempt to halt brutal Japanese aggression in China and elsewhere in Asia. But there were certainly other considerations, including political ones.

The brutality, racism, and fanaticism routinely displayed by the Japanese military was horrible, which was resplendent with the murder of prisoners of war and non-combatants. They clearly displayed a willingness to fight to the last man and never surrender, evidenced by the action at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The 'Rape of Nanking' and what was perpetrated in Bataan were infamous for the psychopathic brutality afflicted upon prisoners of war and civilians. But they were not isolated incidents; ask any Australian who knows his/her history quite well about the Sandakan Death March and the incident on Bangka Island. Actually, maybe we shouldn't ask them; one can find out for his/herself.

I don't think there is any question that the war with Japan did end sooner because of the atomic bomb. They did surrender immediately with, seemingly, quail upon experiencing the unprecedented destruction wrought from one bomb dropped from one plane. Many lives, both American and Japanese, were doubtless saved in exchange for the loss of life it would entail to take the Japanese mainland conventionally. But would the amount have exceeded the price of the atomic bombs?

'Fat Man' and 'Little Boy' ushered in the nuclear age, and they are the most terrible things, in terms of such a frightening threat upon human existence, ever developed. Possibly the best way to 'justify' the atomic bomb's lone use (well, 2 uses) in 1945 is to work to eliminate every single arm in every nuclear stockpile around the world.

The hydrogen bomb dropped on Bikini in 1954 was about 1,000 times more powerful than the ones dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That is scary! How more powerful are they now? There is a lure to these weapons - a lure not a novelty in human history. The lure is none other than power. Are we fortunate that some madman, of which history is rife with, hasn't gotten his hands on these weapons?

I will conclude by stating that, in terms of air warfare, the atomic bombings didn't really change air warfare. Before and since, attacks from the air have merely supplemented ground fighting. Air strikes can certainly harass and humiliate life for civilians, but battles and wars seem to still be decided by ground forces. This could be arguable. The strikes against Hiroshima and Nagasaki are the only air battles, if they can be considered as such, to directly decide the outcome of a war.

As for how they have impacted the world into more modern times, well, without being verbose, one major issue could be that the United States was provided with unmatched military superiority - in a world that had just been involved in total war. It didn't take long for the Soviets to match the U.S. as a power, and the two superpowers began their competitive advancements in the Cold War, which brought our world to the edge of destruction. The atomic bomb introduced a fear of total annihilation that has inexorably changed world politics. The world must be vigilant! This seems to be a major point of all the advocates against dropping the atomic bombs in 1945. But on scales of unprecedented destruction for their times, didn't the Romans horribly sack Carthage, expunging the great city from the condition of even bare existence? How many millions fell under the Mongol conquests? Come the 20th century, Hitler's odious Final Solution and attempts against the Slavic peoples caused......need I finish that sentence? The supposed Armenian Genocide of 1915-1917? Pol Pot's purges of his 'hidden enemies'? The Communists in China and the Soviet Union destroyed millions of 'enemies of the state'. All this has been done without the benefit of nuclear power. Mmmmmm.

Thanks, James
    Last edited by Spartan JKM; February 17, 2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Grammar

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Good post, I enjoyed reading it, and agree with a lot of it.

About the H-bomb that was dropped on Bikini, from what I understand it was much more powerful than almost all of our current nukes. I think it was decided that ones of that size were simply redunant, so they started making smaller ones, ones that could fit 5-7 guided warheads into one ICBM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

I agree with most of your post Spartan. Truth be told, I might not be here today because I'm pretty sure my grandpa (a career Army man) would have been one of those thrown into the invasion.

I think a conventional invasion of Honshu would have been just as catastrophic to civilian life as the German invasion of Russia. Throughout Japanese history losing factions had fought to the death of every man, woman, and child instead of surrendering. The women and children of the Taira clan drowned themselves rather than surrender to the Minamotos in medieval Japan; Christian converts and their families fought to the death against Tokugawa in the 1500s; the old guard samurai under Saigo died to the last man rather than modernize under the Meiji emperor.

That being said, the Americans also waged a racist war against the Japanese. While the Germans were seen as worthy opponents, the Japanese were seen as sub-human. The bombing campaign against Japan was even more ruthless than against Germany - and that's saying a lot. Some commanders, including Curtis LeMay, wanted to destroy the Japanese race through firebombing.

Spartan JKM's Avatar Semisalis

Thannk you for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Count of Montesano
    ...That being said, the Americans also waged a racist war against the Japanese. While the Germans were seen as worthy opponents, the Japanese were seen as sub-human...
    Indeed. It is natural to be conscientious of one's ancestry when war becomes real, but the Nisei were treated terribly. Yes, German POWs in Mississippi and Alabama etc. during WWII were considered 'just like us'. Americans of German and Italian (or Romanian?) background were interrogated, but I don't think they were interned. If so, it was miniscule compared to the Nisei etc.

Shamefully, it does seem the discrimination against the Japanese-Americans was prejudicial, focusing on Japanese-Americans who had lived in the United States for generations. Actually, I think Japanese-Americans were restricted from fighting in the Pacific theatre, but no such limitations were placed on Americans of Italian and German ethnicity with regards to fighting the Axis in Europe. Worth looking up.

Thanks again, Spartan JKM :original:

I think had Germany or any other nation attacked the U.S as Japan did you would of seen the exact kind of hatred and racism as we showed them in the war and some after. Not excusing racism one bit.

Onto the point, the U.S. didn't have the threat of execution if they retreated back as the Russians did so I guess we would of possibly lost close to if not more casualties then they did as a result of an invasion of Japan. I think the results of Iwo Jima and Okinawa speak for themselves of the persistence of the Japanese people so I feel they would of been even moreso if we landed there.
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Major König's Avatar Civitate

Absolutley great post, firstly. I'd like to add that Okinawa, Tarawa, and pretty much the whole campaign showed Japanese tenacity at resisting the US forces. Taken the casualties at Okinawa, I'd say more people would've died in the mainland invasion rather than the A-Bombs. Of course, it is the soldier's duty to fight the war, and civilians have no reason to be killed in such a way, more people were saved on both sides. The Japanese would've lost a whole many more people resisting US forces in their homelands, and the US would've taken heavy casualties as well. The A-Bomb was neccessary, and did save lives ultimately, even if all the lives lost in the bombings were Japanese.

I'd say that anything but the atomic bomb was impracticaly.
    To be the USSR to Japan, the US would have to launch a hasty invasion in which millions would die.
    Instead, they killed a couple of hundred thousand and then proceded to tame the Japanese peoples' martial spirit, much like they did with Germany.

Maron's Avatar I'm afraid of everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Major König
    Of course, it is the soldier's duty to fight the war, and civilians have no reason to be killed in such a way,.
    yes, however; the japanese had been training civilians since the defeat at okinawa, including women and children, to fight tooth and nail to the end with bamboo spears and stones if they had to. So technically when they took up arms they became enemy combatants.

edit: srry...didnt read the whole article, spartan already made the point about training the civilians. but i wanna reemphasize that they became the enemy and no longer were civilians
    In the Legion of Rahl Under the patronage of Corporal_Hicks

“I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that’s not an excuse for you to fail. Don’t come in here and say, ‘Well, you know, that’s just kind of the way I was brought up.’ No. If you’re in a bad way right now, it’s because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices.” -Gene Chizik

Today it's not possible anymore to justify the killing of civilians as a means to save the lives of the soldiers. This is why, for instance, the coalition forces in Iraq can't exterminate the population of one or two important cities (Mongol invasion-style or Hiroshima & Nagasaki - style) in order pacify the country, no matter how many Americans get killed there. On the other hand back in 1945 both Hiroshima and Nagasaki could be bombed because they were 2 important naval bases, which made them legitimate targets.

Yes, the American decision makers knew very well that the bombs would destroy most of the city, not just the naval bases. However the only rule at the time was not to target mainly the civilians, which ment that if you were aiming at a legitimate target but killed lots of civilians in the process you could get away with it.

With today's technologies which allow precision bombing it is not justifiable anymore to wipe out entire cities in order to force a country into surrendering, no matter how fanatic is its population. On the other hand, the technology of 1945 did not allow for precision bombing. The conventional bombing raids were killing lots of civilians anyway. Technology aside, I wonder if using A-bombs was really necessary in order to defeat Japan. Here is why:
    1) Japan had practically no natural resources needed for sustaining a war effort on long term.
    2) Its navy had been annihilated. Its airforce had no experienced pilots left and was running out of fuel. Most of the plane factories were destroyed and there was not much aluminium left to build more planes.
    3) It could not reinforce nor resupply its armies in China because the allies had complete control over the sea and the air. The armies in China could have been defeated through conventional war, as the Soviet campaign in Manchuria had shown.
    4) What was the real need to invade Japan? North Korea is more dangerous today for the world peace than was Japan in August 1945. North Koreans allegedly have the capacity to launch nuclear strikes against other countries. Japan's ability to invade anything in 1945 was practically nil.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan JKM
    Thannk you for the replies.

Indeed. It is natural to be conscientious of one's ancestry when war becomes real, but the Nisei were treated terribly. Yes, German POWs in Mississippi and Alabama etc. during WWII were considered 'just like us'. Americans of German and Italian (or Romanian?) background were interrogated, but I don't think they were interned. If so, it was miniscule compared to the Nisei etc.

Shamefully, it does seem the discrimination against the Japanese-Americans was prejudicial, focusing on Japanese-Americans who had lived in the United States for generations. Actually, I think Japanese-Americans were restricted from fighting in the Pacific theatre, but no such limitations were placed on Americans of Italian and German ethnicity with regards to fighting the Axis in Europe. Worth looking up.

Thanks again, Spartan JKM :original:
    One big problem with limiting those of Germanic or Italian ancestry would be the length of time of settlement - the Germans were in the States from nearly the beginning and certainly even by the time of the American Revolution the 'Dutch' (ie. Deutch) were in Pennsylvania. The Italians, more Germanics and others came over a lot during the 1800's during the periods of revolution and upheaval and intermarried and got settled in the community. In WW1 the German-Americans were definitely watched but by WW2 it would have been terribly impractical to limit German or Italian Americans from fighting in Europe.

However it is true that there was a good amount of racial discrimination going around against Asians (in general), Japanese (specific) as well as of course against the African-Americans. Different times...

de Lancey

There was the BIG risk - which was probably justified in the long run - that the Russians would try to invade Japan. They were planning to and eventually DID invade Manchuria in a brilliant blitz and took over a sizable part of Korea as well. And there were Communist cells waiting in Japan for just that occasion (ref: God's Samurai, the story of Mitsuo Fuchida by Gordon Prange) and with Soviet Russia and Communism becoming the new bogeyman for the west this had to be pre-empted. This meant that Japan couldn't be just 'besieged' or isolated. A decision had to be made quickly.

The question though is was it worth what happened later? It let the so called genie out of the bottle and there was no putting it back. We gave ourselves the power to annihilate the world some twenty times over, a power no other conquerors had before. The phrase of Robert E. Lee is magnified a hundredfold: "It is good that war is so terrible lest we grow too fond of it."

de Lancey

Jan Kazimierz's Avatar Miles

Intresting post!

For anyone interested in Nuclear bombs and the Testing by the United States, I could really recommend the following movie:

Trinity and Beyond
    The atomic bomb movie

It shows all the testing of nuclear devices of the United States. It explains the different techniques and results..

JK

Those who are afraid die a thousand deaths, the brave but one..

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Nice post! By the way, it was really unnecessary to use A-bomb on Japan. Ally didn't even need to invade Japan, they just needed to wait there and defeated Japan by hunger, as long as they wanted to wait, and it won't be too long. Allies used A-bomb because several reasons, of couse to force Japan surrender. However, main reasons probably because they wanted to test the bomb and didn't want USSR joined the pacific war. As the project of A-bomb had costed million of dollar, it was not surprised that US government and scientists wanted to test the bomb. Besides that, US also didn't want USSR joined the war, as they were sure they didn't need the help of USSR - to prevent the influence of USSR expanded into Pacific. So Japan was just a unfortnate place to be chose. And the effective of A-bomb to Japanese... Most people just knew the news after the war ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..