Thread: Flickering white/black squares during game?

Default Flickering white/black squares during game?

I'm enjoying Shogun 2 Total War at the moment having played it for about a week now (bought the collectors edition) but I'm suffering with 1 problem that I can't seem to fix. Occasionally, during the game after about roughly 2 minutes of gameplay, I will start to see some small flickering black squares and some flickering white squares, this happens during the campaign map and will still be there on the main menu after quitting the campaign game.

In terms of it being a hardware issue, I guess it might be. I upgraded my graphics card from a 4870 to a 6850. I remember playing the demo fine and I don't recall having those squares on the 4870 so I don't know if it's something to do with graphics card compatibility. Are there any alternatives/fixes to getting around the issue? I would post you screenshots to see what I'm talking about but it's impossible because I will have to be really quick on the key, the squares just flicker every so often. Sometimes there's moments where there'll be mass amounts of squares flickering in the top screen and some in the middle, and to a point where there'll be none at all for about 2 mins until it starts again. I've been trying to ignore these flickers but it's just coming to the point where I've had enough and I want to deal with this issue.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues like me? All graphics card drivers are up-to-date.

GPU Temperatures (ATI Radeon HD 6850):
    Idle - 35-40 degrees celcius
    Overload - 50-55 degrees celcius

Funny enough, when I had my 4870 the temperatures were ridiculously hotter than the 6850 and didn't experience any flickers.

Solutions I have tried:
    Altering graphic options (turning off VSync in game) doesn't seem to fix it.
    Tried altering my catalyst settings so that they are all application managed, doesn't seem to fix it either.

DxDiag below.

Default Re: Flickering white/black squares during game?

Dude I have the exact same problem. I searched everywhere and couldn't find a solution. I'm using HD4870 and the only two things that helps is to slow down the memory clock in Overdrive and to disable the Catalyst AI. These does not fix the problem completely but will delay the square from appearing. I can have about 1 hour of play now without these buggers before they appears again.

All my other games run fine except Nap

Oops clicked done by accident. Anyway I have only this problem with NTW and now S2TW. If you find any other solution let me know.

Checkerboard style artifacts are a sign of a dieing and overheating video card. Whats your case's ventilation like?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xsvspitfire - NEW VIDEOS UPLOADED DAILY
    Featuring Videos of: BF3, Bastion, Skyrim, Starcraft 2 & World In Conflict
    Hd 7850 2Gb
    Phenom II x3 4.0GHz
    8Gb RAM

I recommend manually raising your cards fan speed to 100% before gaming as well.
    Hd 7850 2Gb
    Phenom II x3 4.0GHz
    8Gb RAM

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

What are your power supply voltages?

Does it go away if you play on lower settings?

Irish brings up a good point too. Power supply is vital to proper card function.

Higher settings inevitable mean higher power drain on your power supply. Some games even allow players to cap the FPS at a certain number, so the players PC won't consume to much power.

Also, overclocking of any kind means more power consumption as well.

My old x800GTO was getting checkerboard artifacts for about a week before it finally died on me, but that was due to the fan on it dieing and me not noticing until it was to late.
    Hd 7850 2Gb
    Phenom II x3 4.0GHz
    8Gb RAM

I had same problem.
    What I did is unplug the video card and put it back, the problem is gone!

not sure if this might help but run driver sweeper and a diff driver...

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

clean out your old drivers first,

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 23, 2011 at 12:58 AM.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I don't have this problem with Shogun 2, but I have it with Napoleon. It's this really short black and white flicker. It quickly disappears and then reappears randomly. I have a GTX 460 and great ventilation. All drivers are up to date. This is not supposed to happen.