Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Additional Marshals Mod v1.1

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon14 Additional Marshals Mod v1.1

Additional Marshals Mod

v1.1

This mod adds 6 new Marshals of the Empire to your Custom Battles unit selection menu as functional generals (aura & inspire/rally abilities).
    It also replaces the unit icons for the default Marshals & Napoleon with portraits bringing a more cohesive look to the queue.

Marshals Included (new Marshals in bold)

• Davout
    • Lannes
    • Ney
    • Bernadotte
    • Murat
    • Berthier
    • Soult
    • Grouchy

Unit Stats The Marshals have logical costs that in line with their command star ratings. The costs for 0-star, 3-star, 6-star & 9-stars remain at default values and the additional units have costs that are relative to these. All Marshals have the same generic stats as any general ingame.

A word about Marshal selection I chose to include Marshals solely on the basis of available custom portrait artwork included in the game files. While there are certainly some excellent Marshals missing from the list, I chose to keep the artwork cohesive.
    There are even more portraits for some French Generals available, but they were not Marshals, and the unit cards are starting to cover one another already with 10 Generals available (Napoleon + 8 Marshals + the generic general's staff).

This is probably more than enough variety for your Custom Battle needs.

Installation: Place additionalmarshals1.1.pack file in your \data directory and add the following to your user.script.txt file: mod additionalmarshals1.1.pack;
    A copy of the proper user.script.txt entry is included in the attached .rar

To remove the mod, simply remove additionalmarshals1.1.pack from your \data directory and remove the corresponding entry from user.script.txt

Additional Resources The screennames are available for those using the Unit Pack Compatibility Project localization file, version 3.1 or later, Bernadotte's name (new with v1.1) will come with a later version of the UPC.

Updates:
    Version 1.1 (4/9/11)

• Added Marshal Bernadotte.
    • Revised the command stars order and unit costs.

Let me know what you think, or if you experience any problems.
    Last edited by klesh; April 29, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Default Re: Additional Marshals Mod v1.0

im going to suicide charge grouchy just because i dont like him but great mod

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

where is Jean baptiste Bernadotte ? => sure he was was stripped of his command in 1809 and later Became the King of sweden but in the early campaigns he was 1 of the most important French Military Leaders

klesh's Avatar Senator

Ahh yes, I left Bernadotte out for 2 reasons. 1) I don't like him. 2) I think his portrait ingame is more of him as King of Sweden (I'm at work, so I cannot check). Is he Sweden's King ingame (he is in the starting French Army in Hanover, yeah... so he can't be King of Sweden at game's start)? <-thinking aloud.

Where would you rank him amongst the Marshals currently available with the mod, command-star-wise? I can include him in an update if you would like?

from what i know (historical books and such) he was Ranked among the Top 3 best Commanders in france ( in ability and Popularity) He was the only Rival to Napoleon and when Napoleon Rose to Power Bearnadotte was 1 of the only men in france that was Powerfull and popular enough to stop him (the People Loved Bearnadotte)
    the only problem with Bearnadotte in france was that he and Napoleon was Rivals and did not like eachother that much so when Napoleon became Emperor he gave big commands and such to other Marshals that kissed his boots more.
    For example Bearnadotte most of the time got Command of low grade Foreign trops with poor morale and poor Training while Other Marshals got better Trained French Troops for example from 1805-1809 he commanded Bavarian Polish Dutch Spanish and Saxon troops and in 1809 when he got command over a Saxon army and when he went to inspect it he found out that a big part of the men where above 50 and most Ncos above 60 most men where not capable of running for any distance but had to walk. the artillery had never Practised Towing the artillery with horses and most could not Ride a Horse
    at the time he was in command of the Worse Troops in Napoleons armies and that is why he often was not able to "Win" battles when he had Trouble Keeping his men from Fleeing.
    i would be happy if u added him in a update thank you
    Im sorry for my bad english its not my native language
    a Painting of Bearnadotte in 1804
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Double post somehow =P
    Last edited by mattebubben; April 02, 2011 at 05:00 PM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Here is my thinking for version 1.1

• Add in Marshal Bernadotte, as there is icon art work for him from CA included in the game files.
    • Revise the rank order of the Marshals (stars), and costs relative to rank. Now that there would be 9 historical Generals total (+1 Generic general), rather than having 2x 3-stars, and 2x 5-stars there will now be 1-9 star generals and the 0-star generic one.

Now I just need to decide the order... basically who is the best of the Marshals...
    Napoleon, Davout, Ney, Lannes, Berthier, Murat, Soult, Grouchy, Bernadotte...

Quote Originally Posted by klesh View Post
    Here is my thinking for version 1.1

• Add in Marshal Bernadotte, as there is icon art work for him from CA included in the game files.
    • Revise the rank order of the Marshals (stars), and costs relative to rank. Now that there would be 9 historical Generals total (+1 Generic general), rather than having 2x 3-stars, and 2x 5-stars there will now be 1-9 star generals and the 0-star generic one.

Now I just need to decide the order... basically who is the best of the Marshals...
    Napoleon, Davout, Ney, Lannes, Berthier, Murat, Soult, Grouchy, Bernadotte...
    Very nice! Certainly if you include Berthier and Bernadotte (neither particularly notable for their battlefield skills) you must include what many consider to be the finest marshal: André Masséna, l'Enfant chéri de la Victoire ("the Dear Child of Victory").

Of course you would likely get many of these requests so feel free to ignore!

what do u mean that Bearnadotte was not Notable for his Battlefield skills?....

klesh's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by md1453 View Post
    Very nice! Certainly if you include Berthier and Bernadotte (neither particularly notable for their battlefield skills) you must include what many consider to be the finest marshal: André Masséna, l'Enfant chéri de la Victoire ("the Dear Child of Victory").

While I would love to have Masséna in the list, I have decided to only use those Marshals which CA provided custom portraits for (for aesthetics). I'd like to keep the look of the units/portraits in list consistant, rather than having a mishmash of different artistic styles.

There are additional Generals w/ custom portraits in mind (Desaix and others) but my thought is that we don't need to have more than 10 generals selectable, the selection list is already overlapping quite a bit.

Update:
    The Unit Pack Compatability Project 3.1 has been released, which includes the screennames for this mod! Thanks and +rep to Swiss Halberdier.
    Last edited by klesh; April 08, 2011 at 10:38 AM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Update to version 1.1

• Added Marshal Bernadotte.
    • Revised the command stars order and unit costs.
    Last edited by klesh; April 09, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Additional Marshals Mod v1.1

What do you guys think..?

Edit: So I just created a Messena unit and used that for the icon, it looks ridiculously out of place in comparison to the other artwork, imho.
    Last edited by klesh; April 09, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

i think it looks good

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Very very good mod Klesh
    I need to know ,after installing it ,Would my game considered a modded game or I can still play Vs people who have unmodded game??? Also I don't play custom battles so I don't care these portraits being available there ,I need to know if I can have them in campaign (also Multiplayer Campaign)???

Thanks

I think Klesh we should work together on this modification, I have already made startpos.esf modification what adds 3 more generals to French; Lannes,Soult,Grouchy of course with proper stats etc. If you are interested contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by klesh View Post
    What do you guys think..?

Edit: So I just created a Messena unit and used that for the icon, it looks ridiculously out of place in comparison to the other artwork, imho.
    I like it, although he is a bit older in that pic. I was going to work on that myself!

Edit: Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has done portraits for the campaign generals? If not that would be a great project. I am sad that archduke Charles doesn't have an historical portrait for instance.
    Last edited by md1453; April 13, 2011 at 04:32 PM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon2 Re: Additional Marshals Mod v1.1

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz View Post
    Very very good mod Klesh
    I need to know ,after installing it ,Would my game considered a modded game or I can still play Vs people who have unmodded game??? Also I don't play custom battles so I don't care these portraits being available there ,I need to know if I can have them in campaign (also Multiplayer Campaign)???

Hi Kambiz,

I don't play multiplayer so I wouldn't know. I would think that it would not work though, as it adds units to your gamefiles that the other player wouldn't have.

They are not available in the Campaign because Generals are created in a different way than they are for Custom Battles gamefilewise. If I made them available at all in the Campaign (which I could do), they would be recruitable in region capitals like any other unit, rather than via the "recruit General" special function that you would usually use.

To be forthright, I haven't actually had the time to even play a campaign since I made v1 of this, I'm a busy guy. I could look into how this could be incorporated into the campaign game at some point (maybe for v1.2?).

Quote Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
    I think Klesh we should work together on this modification, I have already made startpos.esf modification what adds 3 more generals to French; Lannes,Soult,Grouchy of course with proper stats etc. If you are interested contact me.
    Hi Propaganda,

For the same reasons as above (that these arent the same kind of General as you see in a Campaign), I don't think you'd want to add them to your startpos.esf mod. I'm not sure if they would function properly. I am not opposed to trying though!

Quote Originally Posted by md1453 View Post

Edit: Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has done portraits for the campaign generals? If not that would be a great project. I am sad that archduke Charles doesn't have an historical portrait for instance.

Hi md1453,

PDGuru has this mod which changes the starting French Marshals with different images, but it doesn't touch other nations. I don't know if there is one that does. Thing is, I'd only want to do it if I had matching artwork for all of the units. I do not like the look of a mishmash of portrait art. I'd want it to be consistent, for aesthetics.
    Last edited by klesh; April 15, 2011 at 07:12 PM.

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi klesh;
    thanks for answering my question and I wish you good luck making the next version of this mod (that is hopefully compatible with campaign)

Hi Klesh.

Suppose if you have decent and consistent portraits of other faction's generals (all in line with the game's aesthetics), is it possible for you to make customised general units then?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast