Thread: I can help with history! over 20 yrs exp.

Default I can help with history! over 20 yrs exp.

Hey Folks,

New to this forum, but not the totalwar.org one.

I've studied the bible and biblical times for over 20 yrs now.

I'm greek, speak/read/write it. 1st generation, na katalavete (to understand).

I'll help historically in any way I can, okay?

Will check up to see if you need my assistance. Thank you.

Rez is cool!

We can use any help we can get. Zenith Darksea is pretty much covering the Greek history though, but maybe you know things that he doesn't. Do you happen to have any modding skills as well? That'd be great too.

Merged double post. - Trajan

Huh I'm actually Nero666, don't know why I'm logged in as Achaemenid. Maybe because I'm at school
    Last edited by Trajan; February 10, 2006 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

I am pretty cool... thanks Hellas1!

But we can always use research help, what do you know about the more eastern cultures of the time like Babylon or Lydia?

Default Regarding Babylon

Hello Rez,

Yes sir, I know quite a bit about babylon and assyria.

What is needed exactly?

Thanks!

Well we are currently working on babylon, possibly in time for the beta but don't hold you're breath. So if you have some good historical information on them register at www.riseofpersia.com/forums and we can get to work. Further information will be needed for Lydia later on if anybody has some fantastic research we could use.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Bear in mind of course that this is not exactly the Babylon of the Old or New Testament eras (I don't think). But if you've got info on them, then welcome aboard. Oh, and let me just make this clear - ancient Greek is rather unlike modern Greek!

Default Ancient greek IS different than modern greek BUT...

You're right, it is.

But...the greeks maintained the greek language en toto, and in some places in greece, Crete, for example and the Pontic Greek area, called Pontiaki greeks, they speak some ancient greek, my friend.

I'll post about the Babylonians immediately.

By the way, I'm a first generation greek and I lived there too!

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Some places perhaps such as Pontus yes, but I suspect that even these could not be relied upon. Even when foreign incursions and movements of peoples are discounted (ie. even if you're talking about a completely static culture), language doesn't remain static. Plus, I would imagine that Pontic Greeks of the Classical period did not maintain a flawless Attic, Doric or Ionic dialect. Indeed, Classical Greek colonists were usually derided throughout the mainland because of their odd sounding versions of Greek that had developed when colonising new lands. Though I have heard before that the modern Pontic Greeks (I can't imagine there'd be many of them left these days though after the Turkish genocides) do maintain some very old forms of Greek.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you've got on the Babylonians.

Default My input will focus on the Assyrians now, why?

Hi folks,

The time period or people, ie. Babylonians you want me to research were kind of swallowed up by the Assyrians, folks.

If someone is working on the Assyrians, let me know so I don't waste my time.
    I'll focus on Lydia instead.

Nobody works on the Assyrians because they were vanished (612BC: Destruction of Niniveh) before the mod starts and consequently are not in game. The Mod starts with the rise of Kyros the Great, in the middle of the 6th cent.BC, i.e. no Assyrians around anymore.
    So researching Babylon in that period would be fine.

Lydia is done by me (because you started on Babylon before me :laughing: ) and I progress quite well, though sources are scanty. You can work in this field too, if you wish, of course.

A last note, because I saw it on our Board: I don't accept Wikipedia as source/literature whatsoever. I don't know the other team members oppinion, but some real literature, excavation reports and suchlike, is to be preferred, I think.

We work mainly through primary sources, wikipideia is the last resort and even then its not too solid. But we welcome all help we can get
    Last edited by rez; February 25, 2006 at 12:16 PM.

SARMATIAN LEADER's Avatar Biarchus

guys historical assistance can be provided by me also if you need anything post me!!Another greek here who wants to help

-Kossovo is Serbia- -Macedonia is Greek-

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. ~George Patton

You can do the Canaanites, if you wish, I think. You can also assist Hellas1 in terms of unit research (Babylon), I think. Be warned, it is not as easy as researching a Greek faction, because the written sources are sparse.
    Keep the mod's timeframe in mind.

You can post your results here:
    http://www.riseofpersia.com/forums/i...p?showforum=50

Good luck!

Default Right, written sources ARE sparse!

Babylon's history is easy. Finding out it's military though AIN'T!

Let's all go folks, it's been rough.

Hellas1

Default Re: I can help with history! over 20 yrs exp.

What about Lidiya ?

Default Re: I can help with history! over 20 yrs exp.

Do you mean Lydia? If so, research and modelling done, skinning in the works.
    Babylon is completly done.

(I may add, they look great, Goscinio has done incredible work)

You can read the "Royal Road" for updates, Rez is updating it quite often:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49384
    Last edited by FliegerAD; May 05, 2006 at 02:41 PM.