Thread: Wooden Roads

Default Wooden Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    -I'm hoping to add this sooner than later
    It would be a road system inbetween dirt and paved roads

-It would be available to all Factions with the obtained technology of Logistica engineering.
    Logistica Engineering thus far requires a first level academia and a blacksmith.
    Academia school requires a provincial governor... This is all now available to all factions.

One of hundreds of articles supporting this
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article714033.ece

Reconstruction drawing of a wooden trackway.
    (Reproduced from the Illustrated Archaeology of Ireland published by Country House)
    Corlea: a bog roadway

One of the most impressive Irish track ways was found in Corlea Bog in Co. Longford. This track way dates to the Iron Age at 148 B.C. It was composed of oak planks, measuring 2.5m each, which rested on parallel pairs of long runners at right angles to the direction of the track way. In places the oak planks were secured by sharpened pegs of birch driven through mortices at their ends. The track way extended for a distance of almost 1km across the bog.

-midnite is currently doing the 3d modeling to give the appearence of wooden roads. They will be a level higher than dirt. They will be limited in their use...probably available at ascribed capitals and econ hub settlements. He will display work already done

-The completion of this project could be accomplished within a week(w/o an issue) thus we feel it would be beneficial to add this in for the beta
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 19, 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Wooden Roads

a picture of what I am working on.

wooden roads

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A work in progress. I will get a few more pics as I move along.

new tree textures

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

new and old

also a work in progress

As Rio mentioned above, this will be an upgrade from dirt roads. You will see the effect while playing some custom battles. The tree trexture modification will also be visible. In future upgrades I hope to expand upon the changes to the diff structures in this mod. Buildings, walls, bridges, vegetation, siege equipment, etc.
    Last edited by midnite; March 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

Really nice woden roads

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I like it, but maybe you should make it more "sudden" in change instead of it fading it grass. What about on the map? what kind of appearance will it have?

great stuff

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

I think fading is fine. If the road is brand new it may be sudden like in the pic from Rio in post 1. But soon the wood may get deeper into the ground with use and earth/mud will start to seep on top of the wood on the sides. The middle will remain relatively clear as long as the road is used regularly. Thats how I see it.
    In summary, I like it as it is and there's no need to get obsessed with it

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
    I think fading is fine. If the road is brand new it may be sudden like in the pic from Rio in post 1. But soon the wood may get deeper into the ground with use and earth/mud will start to seep on top of the wood on the sides. The middle will remain relatively clear as long as the road is used regularly. Thats how I see it.
    In summary, I like it as it is and there's no need to get obsessed with it

I love what midnite has done here. It gives just another angle or view of this time. Most roads that can be constructed will be dirt for paved roads require, not only the long past engineering technologies, but the proper stone. So the wooden roads gives the alternative for something a bit simpler and more a bit more advanced than diet roads. Their application will require the engineering technology available to all factions and their construction will be around the more prosperous settlements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    I love what midnite has done here. It gives just another angle or view of this time. Most roads that can be constructed will be dirt for paved roads require, not only the long past engineering technologies, but the proper stone. So the wooden roads gives the alternative for something a bit simpler and more a bit more advanced than diet roads. Their application will require the engineering technology available to all factions and their construction will be around the more prosperous settlements
    lol, diet roads, the first road that helps you lose weight while you're using it!

But I agree here - maybe stone roads should require a stone resource???

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ☧ Flavius Aëtius ☧ View Post
    lol, diet roads, the first road that helps you lose weight while you're using it!

But I agree here - maybe stone roads should require a stone resource???
    Thats why doctors recommand regular walking exercises, when are those roads going to turn grimson red.

Cheers.

Some progress on the wooden roads

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

EPIC. It turns out there were stone roads in britan before the romans arrived.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Such creativity, epically innovative, kudos to you both....+Rep
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

wow really impressive

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

dang! so they did exist! i thought i had thought of something different and crazy for my fantasy novel...i suppose not...

great work there of course haha
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."