View Poll Results: Which faction symbol should Sparta have?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lambda

68 71.58%
  • Bull

9 9.47%
  • Snake

5 5.26%
  • Eagle

7 7.37%
  • Rooster

6 6.32%
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hegemony: Rise of Hellas (METW2)

Default Hegemony: Rise of Hellas (METW2)

placehold
    Last edited by I-Alexander-I; July 22, 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Greek Warfare Mod

Quote Originally Posted by I-Alexander-I View Post
    As many of you may recall, I released a post on these forums a while ago stating that I had begun on a project, focusing on converting the Rome total war game engine and steering it towards and focusing on the battles of ancient Greece.

I have taken time away to generally get a strong idea as to what I want the mod to focus upon and how the mod will be managed. I'm not going to give away too much information as of yet as alot of the planning stages are still to be finalized. However one thing that I can say is that I will be focusing on using this mod as a huge project, and hopefully at some stage.. if successful moving it into its own stand alone platform. Your probably asking what this would mean, basically what you can expect is everything to be taken to the bare-bones and made again from scratch, The mod will consist of highly detailed models and textures as well as gameplay elements along us to see how we would like the stand alone version to work.

If anyone is interested in taking on this ambitious project with me, help is always greatly appreciated but members must be highly motivated to work and have enough spare time to give.

More information will be released soon as a pdf. Allowing you insight as to exactly what to expect.
    If you need some faction symbols,i am here to serve you!
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

A quick WIP render to generate some interest
    Last edited by I-Alexander-I; March 26, 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Nice job! + Rep

I will hopefully upload, either today or tomorrow, the pdf file about the mod. The pdf document includes how we will manage our workflows, the basic aspects and changes that we are looking at involving within the first beta and a small look into the the future of the modification.

Oh and i need some input from you guys for a good name :p
    Last edited by I-Alexander-I; March 26, 2011 at 05:10 AM.

Default Re: Ancient Greek Modification (RTW)

UPDATE: PDF uploaded

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Hegemony: Rise of Hellas

nice concept, but too... over-ambitious considering the engine limitation of RTW (that can't use dual processors or memory bigger than 2Gb), I suggest you to use M2TW engine if you want high-definition skins and models (since I know a RTW mod with unrealistically big skins and "extremely high-definition" models that ultimately suck and very2 slow, even when the very same desktop plays Napoleon in the highest settings without lag, better set your standard on Roma Surrectum2, they are pretty detailed and having professional qualities, but still capable to run without much problems in even older machines)
    Last edited by Spike; March 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Zack-Stefy's Avatar Decanus

maybe i can help with concept art for units i'm also working for other mods

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    nice concept, but too... over-ambitious considering the engine limitation of RTW (that can't use dual processors or memory bigger than 2Gb), I suggest you to use M2TW engine if you want high-definition skins and models (since I know a RTW mod with unrealistically big skins and "extremely high-definition" models that ultimately suck and very2 slow, even when the very same desktop plays Napoleon in the highest settings without lag, better set your standard on Roma Surrectum2, they are pretty detailed and having professional qualities, but still capable to run without much problems in even older machines)
    Yes, it looks amazing, but it is too much from the RTW engine sadly

Paeninsula Italica has the same problem. I can'r run it evene with ultra low and small settings

~Jirisys ()
    Signature
    Because we all need to compensate...

I agree with you totally, however this is the reason for us creating (as i state in the PDF) a very barebones beta to test the games engine and just see how far it can be pushed. High res models will be needed like i say for videos and other 2d art work within the mod and if needed a units poly count can be reduced to help with effective, smoother results.

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    Yes, it looks amazing, but it is too much from the RTW engine sadly

Paeninsula Italica has the same problem. I can'r run it evene with ultra low and small settings

~Jirisys ()
    Not sure I agree, well not entirely.

One way to improve performance is to use LOD models, most modellers dont seem to be doing this anymore (mainly because it instantly triples or quadruples your workload).

I agree that very large texture files are a bit silly, 512x512 in my opinion is big enough. You also must remember that when file is saved as a dds with mip maps, the mip maps act as LOD textures, so the texture you see on screen may not be the largest it may be just a smaller mip map.

I would be interested to know how big the cas file for the hoplite is... but with some optimisation and LOD models I think that it will run ok. As for changing the platform the sticky wicket with M2TW is the buildings. I dont know of any mod that has sorted that out not even EB2. If the mod is in a classical time frame I can understand any mod leader sticking to RTW.

The model looks great (I'm slightly concerned that the spear will fall out of that open hand ) and good luck with the mod I wish you well

Indefinitely Banned

@ Alexender I have been looking for a moddeler for my mod and you seem to have the best hoplite moddel out there

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith View Post
    Not sure I agree, well not entirely.

One way to improve performance is to use LOD models, most modellers dont seem to be doing this anymore (mainly because it instantly triples or quadruples your workload).

I agree that very large texture files are a bit silly, 512x512 in my opinion is big enough. You also must remember that when file is saved as a dds with mip maps, the mip maps act as LOD textures, so the texture you see on screen may not be the largest it may be just a smaller mip map.

I would be interested to know how big the cas file for the hoplite is... but with some optimisation and LOD models I think that it will run ok. As for changing the platform the sticky wicket with M2TW is the buildings. I dont know of any mod that has sorted that out not even EB2. If the mod is in a classical time frame I can understand any mod leader sticking to RTW.

The model looks great (I'm slightly concerned that the spear will fall out of that open hand ) and good luck with the mod I wish you well
    The LOD system is definitely something I will be taking advantage of, like you say its not used anymore which can seriously hinder performance. The right balance of good usage of the LOD system and sprites should hopefully remove the issue of lag and under performance

Not to worry about texture sizes either, Obviously the textures i create are of very high resolution, and sometimes consist of several files, however once a unit has been created to 'cinematic' quality, we will then convert it into an ingame model, using a texture size of 512x512. The reason we can do this is because with the RTW engine the units are so small that ingame they loose alot of the texture quality, so having high res textures are not always the best, however like I say each model will be created to a high standard so it can be used for the unit cards, videos etc. And the spear issue will be addressed, I just created it that way for easier uv mapping :p
    Last edited by I-Alexander-I; March 26, 2011 at 02:13 PM.

UPDATE: New image uploaded on first post of hoplite. Texture almost complete, New skin tone along with face, Better helmet and greaves textures, improved uv mapping.

Indefinitely Banned

For me as a inexperinced modder howabout joining the team as reseacher?

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Wow! If the hoplite looks like that, im curious how the rest of this mod will look like + Rep
    Edit : Darn, can't give ya rep... :/

Sabazios's Avatar Semisalis

looks very nice, keep up the good work

Zack-Stefy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Zack-Stefy View Post
    maybe i can help with concept art for units i'm also working for other mods
    This!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1398 try that mod Aristeia the models and textures are highly detailed and maybe they already know the limitations of RTW engine regarding models

thank you all for the kind words, Praise is always a nice thing

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast