Thread: Extremely long turn times

Default Extremely long turn times

Ok the other night I'm playing SPQR and clicked end turn and it took almost 30 mintues for the pc to go through it's turn. I have a 2.53 GHZ and 1.00 GB of RAM with a Radeon 9700 AGP...anyone have this problem?

I have a P4 2.6 and ATIX850xt. I also have like 400 songs in my audio folder. I've never had that problem. The only problem I have is a super long start up lag, and an occasional CTD after long battles due to my outdated POS machine.

Your specs are very close to mine (minus the vid card). I'm sure you need to reformat.

Yeah, your best option may be to uninstall all unwanted large files, all large uneeded programs like old music, old videos,etc until you have at least 15% free space, then run the disk defragmenter. That usually does a lot of good for me. Also you can clear your cookies and temp files, that always helps.

I'm not too learned in the computer field, maybe other windows wizards can give you better help.

I would say defrag would be wise, Are you sure you didnt have ANY other programs running at the time? AntiVirus or spyware scans take alot of CPU time, and they could cause delays, but whatever it was its on your end, I hope you find out and fix your problem. :-)
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Hey LT.. quick question along the same lines/
    I know you are an EB team member. Can anything be done to speed up SPQR AI turn times? On 16Jan in a thread titled "speed up your EB"" someone posted the following....

Quote Originally Posted by =E.T=
    AVE!

just a bit more speedy EB (not a lot,... but a first step )

To Use with jsgme mod (jsgme included)

Put the back-fill of folder into your Rome main folder (when is the RTW.exe)
    execute the jsgme, add the turbo-EB.
    Play the Speed-Up is not the in load time. Only in the dead time when you pass the turn.

cheers

=ET=

feedback agreed

CLIK ME TO DOWNLOAD IT

I dont know anything about if this fix can help or whatnot... just asking. I noticed that I spend a bit of time sometimes waiting for the AI. My machine specks suck (emachine T2692... 2.6ghz Celeron, 512mg DDR ram, Gforce FX5200 video card 256mg ram..., mostly empty hard drive) but AI turns tend to take like 2-3 minutes.

Thanks
    ENSAIS

Is your toggle_fow on? Why don't you turn it off between turns? It helps when your empire is smaller.

Simple solution if you have fog of war set to false the AI turns will be very very very very very looongg. To fix do this:

go into preferences.txt find "follow_ai_turns" (i think that's what it's called) and change to "skip_ai_turns" save and close and VOILA shorter AI turns.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I defragged last night and will clear my cookies and cache I will also turn the fog of war back on, I already have skip ai but will make sure. I am also debating to spend the money and buy a new 3d card 256 or better.

No the EB fix was to fix an EB bug that caused LONG load times. As for SPQR this isnt a problem as the file they had is different than SPQR. I cant make the AI think any less. lol But it should be even faster for 6.0. remember that More armies are in 5.0 which causes the AI to THINK more. 6.0 will have a larger map and not as many armies and should be faster. I was told by testers than 6.0 is faster than the vanilla 1.5 and SPQR 5.0.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Cool,
    thanks

i have a celeron 2.2, radeon 9250 256mb ,and 760 ram ,so my pc is definitely worse that yours. however, it takes less than a minute for a turn to end for me(minus battles etc)

Drunken's Avatar Semisalis

The only thing ive ever had slow down my turn time was that my defrag program decided it was time my computer needed a defrag.

Press the "space bar" during a turn an end turn if your assassins and army units don't sprint across the map