Thread: AA fix

Default AA fix

hey guys i hear alot of people complain about the AA problem, depending on your GPU you can force it to do the AA for you, it makes a HUGE difference to the look of the whole thing. i cant claim the credit for this page but it explains it really well for everyone.

credit for this article thing and a few more fixes go to:http://geekmontage.com/texts/game-fi...-lag-no-sound/

Enabling Anti-Aliasing (AA) & VSYNC For Total War: Shogun II - NVIDIA Graphics Card Method 1A

This game does not come with an anti aliasing option. However, many graphics cards are capable of forcing anti-aliasing and VSYNC upon games and applications.
    For NVIDIA cards, the common method (this varies depending on your card) is to:
    1) Load the NVIDIA Control Panel (can be accessed in system tray generally or Control Panel)
    2) Click on "Performance & Quality Settings", then the "Add Profile" button & enter Total War: Shogun 2
    3) Click on the "Browse" button, select the Shogun Two EXE, then check the checkbox that's located next to it in the associated application list
    4) Under "Application" be sure to select the entry you just added and uncheck "Application-controlled"
    Here you can edit your settings, such as VSYNC, Ant aliasing, and Anisotropic Filtering.

Enabling Anti-Aliasing (AA) & VSYNC For Total War: Shogun II - NVIDIA Graphics Card Method 1B

If the menus are different for you, then you may have a different NVIDIA Control Panel. Try the following instead:
    1) Load the NVIDIA Control Panel
    2) Under "3D Settings" choose "Manage 3D settings" in the menu, then under the Program Settings tab select the game from the drop down menu if it is present, otherwise click "Add" and navigate to the game's EXE
    Here you can mess with sampling, triple buffering, vertical sync, gamma correction, texture quality, GPU acceleration, and antialiasing. Simply override instead of using the global settings. Hit "Apply" when done.

Enabling Anti-Aliasing (AA) & VSYNC For Total War: Shogun II - ATI Video Card Method

Forcing antialiasing on for ATI graphics cards is pretty similar to the procedure done for NVIDIA video cards.
    1) Load ATI Catalyst Control Panel and expand the 3D menu
    You are now to the tweaking option. You can adjust Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic filtering, and other things here. Just make sure to click "Apply".

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Re: AA fix

Some moderator better stick this topic!! Its handy in the most awesome way!!
    +rep

wait... people didn't already know you can do this?

It often makes some games unstable though, so be careful.
    Might want to turn of HDR first before you try this too. Not sure if Shogun2 uses DX9 10 or 11.

This is just a tutorial for the basic nvidia control panel...... And it doesnt help with the fact that newer drivers does not have any "override application" setting for Shogun 2, due to a flag set to that .exe that auto-disables any AA.
    I made a thread about it in the tech section on how to bypass such issues though.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Moved to Shogun: Technical Help
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

OP, not to be a dick but did you even try this before you posted? It cant be forced through the regular Nvidia control panel, you need to use Nvidia Inspector and even then it's bugged.

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

And not only that. Setting AA in the ATi driver does the same: Nothing. At least with the demo. Knowing ATi and knowing the game I'm rather sure it wont work with the retail version either...
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

It seems, I have a problem - I followed the given instructions explicitly; however, "Total War Shogun2" or "Total War Shogun2" was not on the EXE listing. Only two Valve (one Service) entries are listed.

How can this be? I can play the game without problems (have Window 7).

Any help?

it works fine for me. and yes i have tryed it, and i had no problems. to get it to find the EXE click the "ADD" button next to the drop down menu then just go to the common>steamapps directory and find shogun 2.

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

Can you post a screenshot showing that it works?

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Even if you brute force it you're gonna be riddled with graphical anomalies. All of us who have done it have had the same problems.

And yeah, like the guy above said, you can't just set it globally or in a profile in the CP. People keep saying it's working doing that, but it is not.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

I try it and dont work in Shogun 2

Hey guys,

I loves me good graphics, hence I was one of many shocked to discover that AA not available upon release of the game...

Not to worry.. at least not if you roll green. I forced on AA (2x) in nVidia control panel. Game now looks like it was released in 2010, instead of 2000.

I can't vouch for ATI/AMD. But at least with my setup forcing AA in NCP worked fine. (I still crash during naval battles, but that is unaffected by forced AA).

i7 950 OC'd to 3.7
    6gb 1600 ddr3
    2x 460GTX 1gb in SLI

I think Morphological filtering helps, i think thats why i though i had proper aa on but it was just MF that improved graphics.

even after Lusted pointed it out in a sticky for all to see and several other members repeated the same thing, after tons of people replied to that same thread, authoring over 20 pages full of whining and rage, after counting down the days according to an approximate date given by a dev for the patch (which should be taken with a grain of salt but was not), people still don't understand that

AA does NOT work properly with deffered shading.

it's not as simple as CA happening to forget to include an AA option in the game, or not allowing us to change it. it's that it just does not work properly right now. Shogun 2 is not the only game suffering from this, Rift is another very popular game that uses the new deferred shading and forcing AA through control panel does a whole lot of nothing, something i've tested out myself. the only setting that seems to give *some* results (it's not as good as regular old AA) is using their own 'supersampling' setting, which is insanely FPS hungry and does not solve all jaggies.

be patient and let CA work this out.