Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dragon Age 2 review (warning spoilers and a big nice cup of rage)

Default My Dragon Age 2 review (warning spoilers and a big nice cup of rage)

From the point, in which Dragon Age 2 was announced, it became obvious that the release would be a big disappointment. The game was obviously rushed, and its attempt to appease "larger market segment" resulted in an ultimate failure of turning a recognized CRPG into an anime-styled slasher.

Plot: In this aspect I'd divide the game into two parts. First is when Hawk tries to earn money to get into expedition and use the profits to buy back the estate. Second half doesn't have any plot at all, simply because there is no actual goal that would motivate the character to keep going further into the story, but for one reason or another he always appears in a middle of things. Characters were not badly written, but some of them were made just to be "badass", which is really annoying, especially if you are not a 12 year old. My favorite character was Anders. And not only because he was from Origins, the last good Bioware game, but because he actually has a personality, and his back story is rather complex and different, as opposed to majority of characters, which were just copies of Origins characters with slight class/race differences. Isabella was a copy of Morrigan, Merill was copy of Leliana, etc. My least favorite character was Fenris. And not only because he looked like a generic anime character with his skinny emokid looks and an oversized two-handed sword, but also because his voice did not fit the appearance at all. Overall, plot was not exceptionally bad, but there were some core mistakes and the game itself was rushed, which negatively affected plot as well.

Gameplay: Well, where do I start here? The gameplay in this game is an absolute garbage. This is no longer "spiritual successor" of Baldurs Gate series. Remember how in Origins you had to plan your battles out? Well, its gone now. Enemies in this game now materialize out of nowhere, usually following "everytime boss loses 25% of life we'll rush another wave" scheme. Tactical isometric screen is gone now as well, I guess so that new Bioware's "target audience", if they accidentally scroll back, won't get scared that they might have to use their brain this one time. Camera is absolutely retarded. I can't even see whats really going on, since all characters just jump around with weapons like generic anime characters, so whole battlefield is turned into a giant blur. Animations are horrible as well. In Origins Bioware attempted to create some pseudo-realistic experience. Here all characters jump around and do tons of pointless moves, which look "badass" for autistic teenagers, and look silly for everyone else. Throw a grenade with hand? now, I'll throw it up in the air first and kick it there. Go into stealth and backstab an enemy boss from there? Just let me get my teleporting machine, so I can disappear and materialize behind his back. As I already have said, this is no longer a CRPG, that people loved Origins for. It is now a slasher/date sim with little RPG elements.

Another big problem of the game is that it is increasingly repetitive. EA's desire to release game as soon as possible has led to lack of locations, which by the second half of games makes further gameplay increasingly painful. For many times you go through same locations, fight same enemies and than do the same thing over and over again.

Overall, this is the worst game that Bioware has ever made. Its plot is underdeveloped, gameplay is primitive and overall its rushed and full of bugs. What added insult to injury was Bioware's and EA's behavior in which they spent tones of money into damage control by buying off almost every major video game reviewers out there and deleting every negative opinion on the game. If only they've spent his amount of effort in the actual game, it might not have been that bad.
    Overall, I'd give this game 3/10.

PS Since there are separate Bioware forums, I did not know whether I should have posted this in review section or Bioware Games forums.
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; March 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Don't use such words again

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: My Dragon Age 2 review (warning spoilers and a big nice cup of rage)

it's good to see a fair and even review once in a while.
    No.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: My Dragon Age 2 review (warning spoilers and a big nice cup of rage)

In Origins Bioware attempted to create some pseudo-realistic experience.
    rofl
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Before the starts, I'll mention that his "review" has valid points in it, but it's hard to take it serious when he even complains about how a rogue throws grenades, or that he can't see anything going on when the fight starts. I'd be silly to take this serious and start mentioning the pause button, or holding Tab to see healthbars, or just switching between party members. Tactics, skill tree, voice acting ?- no wait, it's just 100% butthurt.

I like the game, but even I'll admit that compared to other Bioware games it's the weakest, deserving no more than a 7.
    No.

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

How is this is a review? It seems like you're just getting pissed off over this game, which you've aptly shown all of us in every thread about this game since its announcement. Maybe if it didn't come off as some little tantrum (words like retard, using insults), it could have been a constructive review. Take time to make a review over this game, because right now, it comes off as some petty steam-blowing. I'm not being biased, I just feel that you're above this and capable of a more in-depth review.

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    How is this is a review? It seems like you're just getting pissed off over this game, which you've aptly shown all of us in every thread about this game since its announcement. Maybe if it didn't come off as some little tantrum (words like retard, using insults), it could have been a constructive review. Take time to make a review over this game, because right now, it comes off as some petty steam-blowing. I'm not being biased, I just feel that you're above this and capable of a more in-depth review.
    I've seen reviews where someone just mocks the game and those who enjoy it by people at PC Gamer and Gamespot. Would you prefer he review a terrible game like that?

There are only two ways to review a bad game. Mocking it or raging about it. Personally since I feel he probably had hopes for the game raging about it is the right path.

Take this from someone who waited for YEARS for Master of Orion 3 and was highly active on their forums up until near release. This game is the Master of Orion 3 of Bioware games. I'm just glad that I didn't anticipate this game as much as I did that or else I would be in full on troll mode in Bioware.com and this section of the twforums. That is how much I hate this piece of kiddie trash. Oh wait... troll mode. Need to stop.

it's good to see a fair and even review once in a while.
    Its fair if you are a bioware fan who hasn't only played KOTOR and games after it.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Comes Domesticorum

Ah Joe, you're like the FOX News of the RPG community.

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    Personally since I feel he probably had hopes for the game raging about it is the right path..
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    From the point, in which Dragon Age 2 was announced, it became obvious that the release would be a big disappointment. The game was obviously rushed, and its attempt to appease "larger market segment" resulted in an ultimate failure of turning a recognized CRPG into an anime-styled slasher.
    High hopes.

You're wrong about the two ways to review a game, anyways. Joe's review is a joke because it isn't a review at all after further study. I doubt Joe even played the game, considering how much he bashed it since its announcement. Every. Little. Thing, he ed about, whether it be "anime poses" or swords being too large. Not really the most thorough background for a review is it? You can review without acting like a spoiled child that hopes this franchise will reclaim the "glory days" of Bioware and certainly can review it without insulting homosexuals and children with learning disabilities. Mod can change the child to just the
    [B]ig nice cup of rage" for how much this "review" amounts to.

I don't believe you even played the game Joe, you just looked up the summary on Wiki and watched some gameplay videos. Seriously...
    Last edited by Soviet; March 20, 2011 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    I don't believe you even played the game Joe, you just looked up the summary on Wiki and watched some gameplay videos. Seriously...
    Just because I expected it to be crap after I saw pre-release screenshots/gameplay videos doesn't mean I haven't played it.
    I was still disappointed, because I didn't expect it to be that bad. As for "insulting" someone - it was a figure of speech, unless I actually did insult that specific group by implying they would actually like the game.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

this is no longer a CRPG, that people loved Origins for
    ????

This statement makes me laugh b/c right after Origins came out the TWC and other forums around the net lit up with old-BioWare trolls bashing DAO for not being a carbon copy of Baldur's Gate (I think you were one of them Kanaric...). Now that DA2 is out is appears as though those same trolls are going to whine about how different it is from Origins and how much better that game was in comparison. Anyone think that counts as a troll fail?

Its fair if you are a bioware fan who hasn't only played KOTOR and games after it.
    This coming from someone who can't ever move on from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights....
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Neverwinter Nights as a single player game wasn't very good.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Corvis's Avatar Campidoctor

I thought DA:O was mediocre from the beginning, and DA2 just took that mediocrity into overdrive.

Am I still a troll?

Civitate

Am I still a troll?
    A troll isn't someone who simply does not like the game...having an opinion on something does not make a person an auto-troll. A troll is someone who doesn't like something and then hops on a nearby forum and rants and raves about how something is so terrible and then belittles those that either enjoyed it or don't share the same opinion as them. Trolls also never want to let these things go even after years.

Okay.

What's that make people who like something and then hop on a nearby forum and praise and commend about how something is so wonderful and then belittle those that either didn't enjoy it or don't share the same opinion as them?

Fans, I guess?

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Corvis View Post
    Okay.

What's that make people who like something and then hop on a nearby forum and praise and commend about how something is so wonderful and then belittle those that either didn't enjoy it or don't share the same opinion as them?

Fans, I guess?
    Yes.

Trolls waste their time downplaying a game they don't like in an attempt to influence others to pass on the game.

Fans waste their time praising a game they like in an attempt to influence others to buy the game.

It just occurred to me that life is in essence a waste of time as well. Hooray! Lets all waste our time the way we want
    My Gaming PC
    CPU: intel i7-2600k Quad-core @ 3.80Ghz.
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
    RAM: 8GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2, Zotac 448 core GTX 560ti's in SLI
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Semi-modular
    Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II XL-ATX Full Tower
    Heatsink: Thermaltake HR-02 Passive CPU Cooler
    Keyboard: Logitech G19 with LCD Display
    Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless
    Screens: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55 inch LED ~ Cinema 3D ~ 3 in Nvidia 3D Surround

in' cheers mate.

Civitate

Fans, I guess?
    I believe the correct term is "Fanboys" haha

I think in the end they're each just two extremes...one being extremely negative and the other being blindly positive.

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    ????

This statement makes me laugh b/c right after Origins came out the TWC and other forums around the net lit up with old-BioWare trolls bashing DAO for not being a carbon copy of Baldur's Gate (I think you were one of them Kanaric...). Now that DA2 is out is appears as though those same trolls are going to whine about how different it is from Origins and how much better that game was in comparison. Anyone think that counts as a troll fail?
    It had different mechanics in gameplay, but it could still be considered a CRPG. DA 2 on the other hand is not. Unless you've played all of games on Easy/Casual mode only, you could not ignore the difference.

This coming from someone who can't ever move on from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights....
    Well, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter nights are best games Bioware made, so you can't blame anyone from enjoying them more than some of their later, um, works.

Well I like the game and going for my second playthrough
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Civitate

Well, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter nights are best games Bioware made
    That is your opinion and your welcome to it but from what I've seen the gaming population has incredibly changed since the late '90s and early 2000s. The Dungeon and Dragons lovers who have continuously pined for a BG or NWN clone has become a small percentage of that population and as such any game that BioWare would've put out that served that purpose would've only appealed to a small amount of people. A vast majority of gamers do NOT want to drown in a sea of items, armors, weapons, potions, and spells....they do not want to click through hundreds of pages of text-based dialogue and information.

Now it's completely ok if that's your thing, everyone likes different stuff and you can't bash someone for that. However; BioWare obviously realized this awhile ago and knew that if they wanted their games to reach a broader audience, increase their popularity, and (from a purely business standpoint) increase their revenue they needed to attend to the greater audience as opposed to the niche D&D group.

Does that suck for those D&D people? Sure does but nothing is going to change that. No amount of whining, ranting, and continuously bashing both the games and the people who enjoy them is going to suddenly change BioWare into creating Baldur's Gate 3. It's not going to happen.

Thus, those people are left with two choices: first stop buying/playing the games. If you're as adamant as you appear to be about the things you're arguing then why bother even playing it? You may buy it under the assumption that maybe this time things will be different but in the end the only purpose it serves is to further fuel the fires of your dissatisfaction. In short, you're essentially torturing yourself. Secondly, the only other choice you have is to keep playing BioWare's games and enjoy them for what they are. Instead of popping in Mass Effect or Dragon Age 2 and constantly judging it up against what you believe to be better why not actually attempt to go into the game with an open mind? Why does Dragon Age 2 HAVE TO BE A "CRPG"? Why can't it be something else? Why can't it simply be enjoyed for what it is? If you go into the game already assuming it's going to be bad then you're obviously going to only see the bad things and overly emphasize the smaller annoyances.

Did I enjoy DA2? Yes I did. Do I think it's BioWare's best game? Not at all. I've always seen the DA series as being the least impressive of the BioWare line up (which still translates into being better than most games) but I still could enjoy certain aspects of both games and appreciate what they successfully accomplished and what they may have tried to accomplish but came up a little short in.

I advise going into a game with an open mind. You might be surprised as what new things you can discover...
    so you can't blame anyone from enjoying them more than some of their later, um, works.
    And likewise you cannot blame anyone for enjoying those later games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast