Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't start game, restarts my pc

Default Can't start game, restarts my pc

Im unable to start the game. The loading screen appears for a couple seconds then my computer simply restarts.
    Ive checked local file integrity and defragged but still the same.

Any help?

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Can't start game, restarts my pc

I can only think that your PC does not meet the requirements (which is not he case) or it's a faulty install.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Thanks for the speedy reply,

Well just tried deleting local content and re installing, still the same.

Would a reinstall via download be worth trying, in case my disks are corrupted? Would take 17hrs to download though...

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

computer restarts?! you got more issues then a faulty disc. run some antimaleware, antivirus, upgrade drivers, or better yet reformat. Also what CPU are u running with the Txt file u posted said Pentium 3, (3 core) which is not possible, p3 was a single core proc.

Citizen

First thing to try is to 'verify integrity of game cache'. From the game library right mouse click the game and select properties. Select the 'local files' tab and then select the 'verify integrity of game cache'.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If that does not work then have a think about a reinstall.

If you are going to reinstall I'd suggest doing it from disc first rather than a straight download. Things can go wrong during an install.

There is no guarantee that a fresh install will work.

When you uninstall make sure that you delete all traces of the game after the uninstall has happened. Look in the 'appdata' folder as well. You may have to change your folder options to show hidden files and folders.

This is where my save games are (just go up a level or two and delete the Shogun2 folder):

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    First thing to try is to 'verify integrity of game cache'. From the game library right mouse click the game and select properties. Select the 'local files' tab and then select the 'verify integrity of game cache'.

If that does not work then have a think about a reinstall.

If you are going to reinstall I'd suggest doing it from disc first rather than a straight download. Things can go wrong during an install.

There is no guarantee that a fresh install will work.

When you uninstall make sure that you delete all traces of the game after the uninstall has happened. Look in the 'appdata' folder as well. You may have to change your folder options to show hidden files and folders.

This is where my save games are (just go up a level or two and delete the Shogun2 folder):

He has larger issues if the computer restarts when he tries to start the game. IF it was a simple thing as a game file corrupted etc it would just CTD not restart his comp.

Citizen

The only time that I've seen a game crash was when I had a problem with some video drivers. I used the Event Viewer to identify what happened.

@Bumpkin: can you play other games without getting a reboot?

Shogun 2 is the only game that does this. But the demo didnt do this.

The only other game thats given me problems in the past is empire, and that was a total system freeze at random, this was sorted by rolling my video driver back to an older version: 182.XX 196.XX

hmm perhaps a driver conflict then. You update to the latest? And use driver sweeper.

Have the latest driver and just uninstalled display driver, used driver sweeper and re-installed latest nvidia driver, but no effect, same problem.

I like the idea of using event viewer to see what happened but dont have any experience with it, can anyone help point me at what i shoud be looking at in it?

Citizen

Event viewer - here's my attempt......

This is how I start it - just put 'Event Viewer' in the 'search programs and files' dialog box on the 'Start' Menu....

There are various selections on the left - I usually start with Event Viewer (Local):

As you can see there are various types of errors - I'd start with the 'Critical' ones. And see what is in there.

Be warned there are a lot of errors and warnings going on all the time - I don't claim my system is perfect.

I usually look for the errors that happen just before the CTD.

As you can see from this screen it's easy to drop down through the various errors:

This gives and idea of some of the errors and warnings that happen on my system on a regular basis.

As I mentioned before you are looking for errors that happen just before you get the CTD.

Ok, just had a look and no errors are obvious. My xp version is very different form your guide (thanks for the effort there btw), but no errors at time of crash (or any at any time from what i can see).

deleted the preferences file that the official sega support tells you to under the 'my game wont start' tab, but still same.

Im not having a ctd, but a complete system freeze on the loading screen for 2 secs then a hard reset and restart.

The bizarre thing about this is that the demo worked fine on the same drivers and system ... sigh.

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

Have you tried overriding the auto detect preferences, maybe something in your settings it causing it. Your card settings are listed under Card Group 3: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...914#post122914

ok, followed link and had already deleted pref file and tried to start without one, same problem:

deleted the preferences file that the official sega support tells you to under the 'my game wont start' tab, but still same.
    Just tried restoring file deleting contents and pasting in pref's listed in link, same problem.

Hello everyone,
    Thanks for all the effort people have made in helping me, i think i now know whats causing the reboot.
    It seems that the Phoenix-Award bios v6.00PG is the cause.
    Ive flashed my bios before but cant find an update without subscribing to one of these automatic driver updaters, which i have no intention of doing. In fact the only reason i think there is a newer version is by dowlaoding the free scan utiliy which states by bios is out of date, but wont tell me what the new version is called, nor can i find this out online.

Does anyone know if theres somewhere i can simply download a .iso (its been a while and my memory is hazy here, but i believe thats the correct extension) and create a flash disk without paying £30 to subscribe to a useless application?

Citizen

There must be some way that you can get a BIOS update. Is the PC a DIY special or did it come from a manufacturer? If you bought it from a manufacturer you should be able to get a BIOS update from their support site.....

Not that this is a great help: http://www.phoenix.com/pages/support--3

hello,

Well ive finally been able to flash my bios, but no effect, computer still restarts.
    Sega support have got back to me, eventually, and sent me a generic reply, it wasnt any use to me, but maybe the suggestions in it will help someone else:

Hello,

In reviewing this issue I'm going to suggest you attempt a general system and driver software update, a manual uninstall and a desktop reinstall. Here are detailed steps on how to perform these tasks:

-First please make sure your drivers are up to date. For more information on doing this please visit the Knowledgebase article below.

What are drivers? How do I update them?:
    http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=195

-You should also make sure you have the most recent .Net framework and other Windows updates:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

-Next, go to the "My Games" tab of the Steam client and right click on the game, selecting "Delete Local Content". After the game is uninstalled use a registry cleaner like the one at www.ccleaner.com , you could also consider using the Disc Cleanup utility to make sure that anything related to the game has been removed. Be careful to only delete files, folders and registry key's related to the game, as deleting system files and keys can lead to system wide instability. If you aren't feeling comfortable then create a system restore point and use it if you feel you might have deleted something you should not have.

-Windows also likes to hide files in the appdata folder under you user profile. To clear these out make your hidden folders visible and delete everything in this folder:
    C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Temp\
    Then delete everything related to the game in this folder:
    C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\
    C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Settings\

-Now disable your anti-virus programs through the configuration window using the following steps:
    1. Under the start menu select ‘Run’
    2. Type “msconifg”
    3. Select the ‘Services’ tab
    4. Uncheck anything related to your system protection/anti-virus
    5. Select the ‘Startup’ tab
    6. Uncheck anything related to your system protection/anti-virus

-If you're installing from a disc then attempt a desktop reinstall of the game. Be aware that this will require a little over twice the free hard drive space as a standard install, though you can delete the excess when the process is finished. To do this, start by copying the contents of the discs to an empty folder on your desktop. When copying the secondary discs, if asked if you want to replace the existing files with the new ones, select yes. Then open the folder and manually activate the install, for most games this is done by running the “setup.exe”, “install.exe” or similarly named exe file. After the install is complete you can delete the folder with the disc contents.

-If you're installing the game as a download through the Steam client, simply go back to the "My Games" tab of the Steam client, right click on the game and select the option to re-download the game.

- Finally, reactive your antivirus by rechecking them in the config window and restarting your computer. Now attempt to run the game and check for changes in performance.

Let me know if you’re still having any problems.
    Ive tried all of the above, but suprise, no effect.

So i got truly hacked off and formatted my hard drive and re-installed xp, updated drivers, installed shogun 2, crossed my fingers and, damn thing still restarts my pc!!!

Unless there is a supertech type person with a solution out there somewhere i am going to give up and get used to the idea that this game is simply not going to start.

Thanks anyway everyone

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Assuming your old dxdiag is still relevant,
    1. Try to update your RealTek sound drivers. Yours are almost three years old.
    2. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238484 can help.
    3. Game Booster from www. iobit.com can help.
    4. Montior your temps and voltages. Hard reboots are usually hardware and/or hardware/software conflict related.

Got a similar thread in the steam forums :

http://http://forums.steampowered.co...1#post21755163

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

For some reason your link does not work. it keeps trying redirectingat.com. If they are scanning incoming, they just lost me. I don't have an account in their support forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast