Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Mod to stop AI from spawning units instantly when out of your line of sight

Default Mod to stop AI from spawning units instantly when out of your line of sight

Just what the topic says - the AI spawns units when out of sight of any of yours directly into their army. I don't know if it's doable without a toolset, but it would be very much appreciated if anyone could. Very lame for them to be able to do that.

Default Re: Mod to stop AI from spawning units instantly when out of your line of sight

I've noticed generals, mysteriously appear in a stack deep in my lands even after I killed off the one it already had but I've never seen units insta-spawn though, but it wouldn't surprise me. If so, it is probably a quick way to 'help' the AI if they are having a difficult time. And again if so, then there would most likely be mods that addresses this and balances it out further. Unit-spawning AI ain't much fun, in any game.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13

Default Re: Mod to stop AI from spawning units instantly when out of your line of sight

Waiting this one myself. Just last night one of my enemies attacks my stronghold with a large army led by the Daimiyo AND the heir. I whiped the armies butt and they had the Daimiyo flee after the heir tried to scale the walls and died in the process. The army was nearly destroyed and what few units remained in it were seriously depleted but yet on the next turn when I march the fortress defenders out to finish off the Daimiyo the army had another general (on top of the Daimiyo) and contained several fresh units and the ones that were depleted were nearly full again. Needless to say, I lost because they were alot stronger then they should have been.

Maybe they had another army?
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

I made a post in the Gameplay/Strategy forum detailing how this works. It happened with me on Normal mode, even, where the AI is supposed to have no special advantage.

It basically makes your hard fought victories seem hollow because they can and do spawn units if they are out of your line of sight.

I haven't seen this. I'm pretty sure, in fact I am almost positive this isn't happening.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

someone should figure out how to turn off fog of war to verify this is happening before you try to fix it...

Quote Originally Posted by Osbot View Post
    I haven't seen this. I'm pretty sure, in fact I am almost positive this isn't happening.
    Lol. It happens, very obviously and yes, it does ruin the point of getting a heroic victory.

It very obviously happens, but only when they are out of your sight range. It's pretty easy to test it by isolating an army and check around for troops, and watch as they come into your sight range one turn later with a half a stack more units.

I don't know if removing the fog of war would prevent this, since if you see them, it doesn't happen. If that would work as a fix, I'm for it.

And seriously, this game is fantastic and polished, I love it. But the spawning armies magically thing is such a joke and I can't believe CA went ahead with it. They improved the AI enough that they didn't need silly things such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frei View Post
    [...]
    They improved the AI enough that they didn't need silly things such as this.
    The AI seems to be improved because of this. Because of this and countless other cheats (realm divide comes to mind) the AI uses.

Try this beta mod and report back. I can't gurantee that it works, because I had to guess a bit which CAI variables control the freespawns. I kept the free unit spawns for the Ashikaga Shogunate though, which is reasonable.

Just drop the file in the data directory. It's a movie mod, so it will work without changes to the user script.
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; March 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    Try this beta mod and report back. I can't gurantee that it works, because I had to guess a bit which CAI variables control the freespawns. I kept the free unit spawns for the Ashigaru Shogunate though, which is reasonable.

Just drop the file in the data directory. It's a movie mod, so it will work without changes to the user script.

Great, though I can't try it right now because I've got a techincal problem. But I wanted to ask why do you think it is more reasonable for the Ashikaga Clan to get free Ashigaru?

I meant the Ashikaga Shogunate, not the Ashigaru. Since they sit in Kyoto all the time and are suppossed to be your final opponent before becoming Shogun I don't mind if they are always at full strength.

You guys do know that there are forests in every province that the AI can (and almost always does) hide armies in, right?
    They dont spawn, they simply move out of the forest. Unless you are playing on VH/VH or Legendary, at which point they do it to make it more challenging, the lower difficulty settings are there for a reason in Shogun 2, it's no longer just an e-peen thing that Very Hard is supposed to be like Normal. Very Hard is now supposed to be Very Hard.
    So instead of modding a reduction to the VH spawns, you might as well just play on Hard, it's the same thing, no mod required.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleurion View Post
    You guys do know that there are forests in every province that the AI can (and almost always does) hide armies in, right?
    They dont spawn, they simply move out of the forest. Unless you are playing on VH/VH or Legendary, at which point they do it to make it more challenging, the lower difficulty settings are there for a reason in Shogun 2, it's no longer just an e-peen thing that Very Hard is supposed to be like Normal. Very Hard is now supposed to be Very Hard.
    So instead of modding a reduction to the VH spawns, you might as well just play on Hard, it's the same thing, no mod required.
    I was playing on normal and they DO spawn armies. There's a thread I made in the gameplay forum discussing my findings and I tested it extensively. ON NORMAL. It is artificial difficulty and is pretty much the only thing I have disliked about this game so far. Saying they just "move out of the forest" is borderline idiotic when you get stacks of exp'd up units from a one province clan with no capability of producing that unit. Don't speak if you don't know of what you're speaking.

And as for the actual mod, I attempted to recreate the testing situation that I talked about in my other thread in the gameplay section and it seems like the mod is working properly, the starting enemy of my clan was not bringing in big groups of units from nowhere (again, they were not "hiding in a forest" as there were none around that they could hide in.

So, to Yarkis, thank you, so far with limited testing it seems to work fine. Let me know when you get to play with it more and do some tests for yourself.

The big question will be how well the AI factions will perform without the spawn cheat. That's why I keep it beta until I get more feedback and have some experience with the mod myself. Maybe I have to give the AI some other help when recruiting units like one additional recruitment slot per province.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    The big question will be how well the AI factions will perform without the spawn cheat. That's why I keep it beta until I get more feedback and have some experience with the mod myself. Maybe I have to give the AI some other help when recruiting units like one additional recruitment slot per province.
    Yeah, we'll just have to see. I would recommend, though, keep separate versions of the mod for normal mode and all that if you do decide to adjust it for people who end up thinking the difficulty is fine without magic spawns.

Outlaw's Avatar Ordinarius

the AI should run back to it's castle/town and rebuild it's army

I've noticed the AI gets free generals when it has none (fair enough). I haven't notice magic troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Xatham View Post
    I've noticed the AI gets free generals when it has none (fair enough). I haven't notice magic troops.
    This I do not understand and would explain why I can never eliminate a clan through assassination.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast