Thread: Another instance of STW2 is running.

Default Another instance of STW2 is running.

Every time i leave STW and try to start it up again i get the Another instance of STW2 is running.There is no program running not even in the processes in task manager.How do i get around this as at tme moment the only way is to restart PC.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Another instance of STW2 is running.

How soon do you try and re-launch the game?

Rather than resatrting the PC it may be easier to just close down Steam, wait a short while and re-lauch S2:TW.

I presume you are running Steam in on-line and not off-line mode?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Nope... I can confirm this too. I'm having a hard time completely shutting down SH2. I typically, when done playing, push escape and then close to Windows.

However, I think it is bugged... and does not completely close because I am having the same issues as the OP.

So yesterday, I decided to close to Main Menu... however, it just froze. I had to manually close it with Task Manager.

Citizen

I have no problems closing down the game and starting it either with Steam remaining running in the background or being closed down between runs of the game.

Have you run Windows update lately and what OS are you using? I have Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 bit and it's up-to-date.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Yeah its working as should again (for a while).You cant leave steam because it says you have to shut down shogun,but i found if you disconnect from internet then go steam off line then reconnect then go online again you can play.Damn i'm getting annoyed just typing it.

Also running win7

Citizen

That just sounds wrong..... It (S2:TW) may well be trying to do something as it closes down - but it should not take long to do any I/Os. So, it's clearly hanging.

When you close it down do you have a light on your PC that indicates that I/O (to the hard drive) is happening?

In Task Manager is S2:TW clocking up any time?

TAsk Manager does not ever notice S2 as a process... it is weird.

I'm going to see if Windows has any updates, etc when i get home...

The only issue I think may have happened is when i tried to 'add product' (limited edition) to steam... i did so, and it worked, but then said it was already installed and sorta hung... wierdly. anyways, redid it, and same ol'e issue.

I'll try updating my Vista 64, checking the integrity, etc when i get home...

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ragga View Post
    I just fired up Steam and Shogun2. Shogun2 appears both in the 'Applications' tab and 'Processes' tab for me......
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After i exit it does not show up in my processes or applications and whats more weird is it happens on and off,its not a constant bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    I just fired up Steam and Shogun2. Shogun2 appears both in the 'Applications' tab and 'Processes' tab for me......

obviously it is on when im playing SH2 - i was talking about when i exit out of it. it is gone, like it should be, however if i try to start it up again it says to first shutdown SH2 or that SH2 is already running???

Quote Originally Posted by bushranger View Post
    After i exit it does not show up in my processes or applications and whats more weird is it happens on and off,its not a constant bug.
    was reading on the other threads and forums that CA gave us a small hotfix... then another after the initial failed... i wonder if it got fixed

Citizen

obviously it is on when im playing SH2 - i was talking about when i exit out of it. it is gone, like it should be, however if i try to start it up again it says to first shutdown SH2 or that SH2 is already running???
    In your post that I replied to you have 'does not EVER notice S2 as a process'.....

Clearly, my crystal ball is not working today......