Thread: What would you do here?

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Default What would you do here?

I have an army of Katana samurais, few Yari ashigarus and Yari bows, 4 Naginata Monk warriors and a general. I'm in a Fort.

Problem is, the enemy is coming with a stack full of bow samurais (like 15 units and I see 9 of them being bow samurai others unknown) and I haven't established my cavarly producing city to the required levels or even if I had theres no time.

Now, if I stayed in the fort, enemy would come and hammer down all my guys before my guys even get a chance, especially the naginata monks with their low armor.
    Should I do a tactical retreat as that was a city I just captured and I don't want to lose this army? Maybe retreat and try do an ambush and hope they don't get to fire many arrows?

EDIT: sry, realised there's strategy discussion up there, if you can move this please do.
    Last edited by Arksa; March 17, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Silly Wizard's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: What would you do here?

Are there any woods nearby where you could spring an ambush from to begin with? If there are woods betwen the enemy and yourself try to ambush them and retreat before they get there. If not an option and you do not wish to fight it out in the fort, burn what you can and pull back. You won't get money from destroying buildings but at least your enemy will not get their benefit.

OR you could just go to meet them on the field in loose formation and see if you can create a scene from the last samurai. Reload if you get defeated on the field and see what went wrong. Who knows? The important thing is finding out what those extra units are first before making any plans. That is assuming you are on a difficulty that allows saves.

That's unsettling. Has anyone else noticed how much the AI loves bows? First time I ran up against a Chokosabe army and it was 12 of their bow samurai, some bow ashigaru, and two spearmen. I mean, I know it's their UU, but cmon! Also they had some with lvl 6 experience.....no way did they fight that many battles. Granted it's on Very Hard, but their units get buffs anyways!

YD23's Avatar Cторожевая Cобака.

Moved to Gameplay & Strategy Discussion.

I would try fighting the battle. Deploy your units outside the fort, get your katana samurai straight into combat with their army. You might have a decent chance of winning. worth a try id say
    "After that business with hydrophobic invasion forces in Empire: Total War, it's impossible to sit down to review a new Creative Assembly creation without anxiety. Will I miss some grievous bug and end up looking like an arse? Should I sprinkle my paragraphs with verbal get-out clauses like 'appears to', 'from what I saw' and 'on the whole'? Am I destined to be remembered as the critic that failed to notice that all the horses in Shogun 2 only have three legs? It can reach the point where you wonder if you'd be better off phoning-in sick and letting the poisoned chalice pass to another poor blighter."

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

I would consider seppuku

Othniel's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Goudvinger View Post
    I would consider seppuku
    Isn't that only if you lose the battle? Anyway, if the OP can get his katana samurai close to the archers before being mowed down (I think archers may be a wee bit overpowered), that's the best bet. As someone else said, if you can ambush them, do that. Since he has so many archers, it may not be worth it to try and hold the fort (as the archers can shoot inside and soften him up without climbing the walls).
    "So that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." - Phillipians 2:10-11

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

"If religious books are not widely circulated among the masses in this country, I do not know what is going to become of us as a nation. If truth be not diffused, error will be; If God and His Word are not known and received, the devil and his works will gain the ascendancy, If the evangelical volume does not reach every hamlet, the pages of a corrupt and licentious literature will; If the power of the Gospel is not felt throughout the length and breadth of the land, anarchy and misrule, degradation and misery, corruption and darkness will reign without mitigation or end." - Daniel Webster

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Arksa View Post
    I have an army of Katana samurais, few Yari ashigarus and Yari bows, 4 Naginata Monk warriors and a general. I'm in a Fort.

Problem is, the enemy is coming with a stack full of bow samurais (like 15 units and I see 9 of them being bow samurai others unknown) and I haven't established my cavarly producing city to the required levels or even if I had theres no time.

Now, if I stayed in the fort, enemy would come and hammer down all my guys before my guys even get a chance, especially the naginata monks with their low armor.
    Should I do a tactical retreat as that was a city I just captured and I don't want to lose this army? Maybe retreat and try do an ambush and hope they don't get to fire many arrows?

EDIT: sry, realised there's strategy discussion up there, if you can move this please do.
    Seppuku being the first option you should consider, placing as many units as you can inside the wall defenses should work as well.

Arrows do little to the ones standing behind the walls yet, the AI does waste arrows trying to hit the protected defenders. When placing units inside the walls, avoid gates. If the attackers set fire to the gates, your units inside the gate fortifications suffer heavy casualties. So, basically, put your put your units inside the walls around the perimeter of your castle. The remaining units go to the back of the castle as far as possible.

p.s. In order to use the wall protection fully, your unit has to be placed in the "slot" by the walls that highlights when you select a unit and move the cursor to the wall.
    Last edited by Slaists; March 18, 2011 at 01:13 PM.

I'd just charge your infantry at the archers and hope for the best.
    "The art of war is of vital importance to the state. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected" - Sun Tzu

I would probably stay in the fort, kill their melee units on the walls and then sally out to crush their archers.

This has worked for me against an army of at least 50% bow units (using ashigaru and 2-3 katana samurai).

You also have the option of taking the offensive. Attack in wet weather (if the weather decides to help you ) and route them sons of inferior warriors.