Thread: Better Archers

Default Better Archers

Hi guys, I was wondering if it's possible to fix archers - the arc of fire thing is annoying the hell out of me. It makes sense for muskets, because they fire straight ahead. Archers just shoot into the air, but apparently they can't turn around to fire left or right.

So my question to you is - how can we change that?

tl:dr - Any chance of a mod or DIY guide to widen that arc of fire?

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Better Archers

Quote Originally Posted by Creaky View Post
    Hi guys, I was wondering if it's possible to fix archers - the arc of fire thing is annoying the hell out of me. It makes sense for muskets, because they fire straight ahead. Archers just shoot into the air, but apparently they can't turn around to fire left or right.

So my question to you is - how can we change that?

tl:dr - Any chance of a mod or DIY guide to widen that arc of fire?
    Possible solution: If we can find the number that controls, that, mod it to be 360*. Then it'll be just like archers in M2:TW and before. Of course, I'm no modder, wouldn't know where to start, just theory.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

At least they don't fire straight up in the air anymore like they did in Medieval II. That was so annoying - the enemy were right below them in clear line of fire, yet they fired up in the air! Widening the arc of fire would be good though.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn ap Nud View Post
    Possible solution: If we can find the number that controls, that, mod it to be 360*. Then it'll be just like archers in M2:TW and before. Of course, I'm no modder, wouldn't know where to start, just theory.
    I'm waiting on the PFM being released to make rooting in the files easier, but that's what I'm looking to do. Whilst I'm at it, I might try to increase range for both archers and matchlocks (gunners don't seem to be able to get a lot of shots off before being charged).

Although, the most modding I've done on this game (or any other barring TES series) is to double my unit sizes - hardly anything at all, but I guess we have to start somewhere.

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

If it works like in ETW it should be easy to let them fire 360 degrees, however, I think archers are pretty damn powerful as it is.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

they seem strong enough to me. They take out enough troops but not too many. They seem surprisingly effective against cavalry up untill they get trampled by them.

Power isn't the problem, the problem is that they seem to be bolted to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaky View Post
    Power isn't the problem, the problem is that they seem to be bolted to the floor.
    You have to set them to skirmish mode. Unlike previous installments they don't start out in skirmish mode.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

so in skirmish mode they dont waste time turning their formation? Because with these insane movement speeds turning formation means the archers will not get to shoot at all. Bow cavalry are very very poor at shooting on the move too. I think for me only 1 time out of 10 when i want them to fire at an enemy while moving they actually do. And yes i have fire at will on.

If anything needs to be changed on their stats its their melee attack. They are literally the exact same as katana samurai historically just they use their bows initially before engaging in melee.

Would be great if they didn't fire homing arrows it sure is annoying to see hundreds of arrows wasted on a unit with 1 guy in it.
    Be a lot realistic if the arrows didn't do that and probably be more effective against groups of units if it is possible to make arrows hit unit cards that you didn't select to hit.(would make clumping units against archers very dangerous)

Arrows should have some sort of AoE dmg and not chase units like they had wings.

The old method of shooting at a unit and seeing which arrows struck was pretty good, but when the unit was half in cover your archers would just hit the cover 80% of the time.

With the homing arrows we get a decent representation of your archers aiming at the exposed half of the enemy soldiers. Was totally stoked when i realised half ass cover was exactly that now, half ass cover. Much better than a building being an iron curtain.

Why not incorporate both for instance if unit A is in cover then unit B attacks with the new arrow system and when unit A gets out of cover then unit B will use the old method, is this impossible to do because it would be pretty awesome imo.

is it possible to use the upgrade from bow cavalry (swooping crane witch gives them 360 )