Page 90 of 501 FirstFirst ... 40658081828384858687888990919293949596979899100115140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 10001

Thread: - The Tavern -

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: - The Tavern -

You obviously haven't heard about knights.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Only Tolkien knows what was on his head. As previously posted the movies probably tried to create distinctive lines of equipment for the factions involved. Ilustractors dedicated to Tolkien work were on the production team. I can live with Gondorian armour. After all its fantasy not reality.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I know what Knights are, again it was a militia.

A militia is defined as a temporary army raised by recruitment of troops from the population for wartime. Those troops supply thier own equipment mostly, and that equipment is determined by what they can afford.

The Byzantines had their own version of a knight called a Pronoiar. He was givena sum of land but expected to server and to raise militia troops if he was called for duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I know what Knights are, again it was a militia.

A militia is defined as a temporary army raised by recruitment of troops from the population for wartime. Those troops supply thier own equipment mostly, and that equipment is determined by what they can afford.

The Byzantines had their own version of a knight called a Pronoiar. He was givena sum of land but expected to server and to raise militia troops if he was called for duty.
    Yes, but knights were generally very well trained, and fought as heavily armored lancers, and I know about the pronoia system.

But the Normans who went on the crusades, or served the Romans in the Latinkon, were professionals, knights without land, always seeking employ.

Either way, the fault with your assumption is that the infantry was 'crap peasants'. In the Saxon times, the infantry was a shieldwall of freemen (the fyrd), a lot like the hoplites in Greece, except that they generally weren't town dwellers, with the professional retinues of aristocrats scattered among the fyrdmen. In the 12th century, infantry was mostly either paid sergeants serving knights or lords directly, as retinues, or militamen from the towns.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; May 11, 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

They were named Civitas Pagus levies because were recruited from towns (Civitas), among the inhabitants or from the campaign (Pagus), among the peasants. Charlemagne in this way was able to muster one (or more) big army evry year on the month of March and start an aggressive campaign! Every year! In this way he unified the Frankish kingdoms, He coquered Italy defeated the Saxons and the Germans tribes beyond the Rhine, conquerd and started the forced and brutal christianization of all Germany, he defeated, better: erased from the face of the Earth the Avars, He defeated the Slavs and conquered Croatia in the Balkans, he conducted various campaigns against the Arabs and the Basques in Spain and France, IMO the Gondorian soldiers could be very well protrayed using as model the Carolingian Farankish knights and soldiers!

Charlemagne really unified Gondor and Arnor! He unified in one reign France, Germany, and Italy, that damed man built Europe in the VIII century! We have to admit that he was better than Aragorn!

What exactly is the point of your post? It is pretty clear the the Gondorians are wearing 12th century gear in LotR, though.

Well...my point might be.....this: I think that the best way to represent the Gondorian soldiers or knights might be....to use the Carolingian VIII or IX century infantry or cavalry and Langobards o.c.!.....For the Knights: the 'Scara' elite Heavy Horsemen and Langobards, and for foot...a mix between noble Carolingian, East and West Frankish or Langobard Dismounted.....and obviously a lot of carolingian feudal militias.

But all would be better than the XVI century palte armour of the movies, I hope my thought now could be considered more clear dear friend!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Anyways, I'm looking into Roman History and History colleges - i only have 2 years left of high school. Any of you guys got reccomendations etc?

Became a lawyer: more money and you might become President of USA! An historian is excluded from the Presidence and steals less money!

In Italian Parliament there are more lawyers and ex-judges that seats to accomodate them!
    I never saw a so big pack of auto-legalized thieves, criminals and crakers!....but their bank's accounts are really huge (I'm not joking), their capacity to steal money is literally incredible!....incredible how much a good lawyer can steal if he chooses the politics! it's Incredible!.........Incredible!....

My suggestion: few years practicing the profession of lawyer, stealing a lot of money from poor men and women with issues with life and justice, than when you have the right amount of realtions and money, you start a political career, stealing all the money you want from the poor morons who will vote for your party (choose whatever you want there is not a any substantial difference!), then with a good political position you start the cheat 'add_money', a good lawyer and politician, in fact, can earn money in thousand different ways!
    Then after 20 years or less, of total legalized robbery, you finally can retire and dedicate your time to the history, living happy and satisfied, and maybe publishing some good and interesting book about late Antiquity!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    My suggestion: few years practicing the profession of lawyer, stealing a lot of money from poor men and women with issues with life and justice, than when you have the right amount of realtions and money, you start a political career, stealing all the money you want from the poor morons who will vote for your party (choose whatever you want there is not a any substantial difference!), then with a good political position you start the cheat 'add_money', a good lawyer and politician, in fact, can earn money in thousand different ways!

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    I think there is a little of that in all of us...except Joar
    What the... I just noticed this. Since I don't know if it's an insult or a compliment, I demand an explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Joar........I have to admit that I did not understand the meaning of your post!.......
    Probably my advanced age and my growing mental weakness, are the real problem here!.......So may I ask you to explain more clearly, taking into account my mental limits, the true meaning of that beautiful image and the meaning of the text under the face?....Actually I have an interpretation, but probably it is wrong.....

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Just watched 'The Fall of The Roman Empire' and 'Ben Hur' what classics, got to love them

Signature made by Joar

yeah.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Just watched 'The Fall of The Roman Empire' and 'Ben Hur' what classics, got to love them
    Indeed! I loved Fall when I first saw it.

The Fall... the movie with Sir Alec Guinnes (The Greatest Man in the History of Western Civilization!), Sophia Loren (The Greatest.....Chough!...nothing! sorry!), James Mason? I envoy you Constantius!!! are months that I'm searching here the DVD! Nothing! Did you see the helmets of the Pretorians? Magnificent!! The arms and armors were more historically accurate than one may belive!....I must find the movie!

Yeah, one of the great moments was when the Greek(James Mason) tries to speak and the Senate walks out shouting greek!, greek!.

Liked the decimation off the bridge too!

Certainly of interest for 'Gladiator' buffs being the same background story. The recreation of the Forum was truly wonderful.

And for cataphract buffs some armored horse!

It was a flop that sent the production company broke.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Wulfgar......do you remember Jane Fonda in the movie 'Barbarella'......... (is the title right?)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My dad hit me with a broom today

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!

Was he foolin' around or did you do something wrong?

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.