Thread: - The Tavern -

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: - The Tavern -

The middle helmet belonged to some average cavalry trooper, IIRC. So was written on one old osprey plate, I think.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

The first is really beautiful, why someone said it is inaccurate is a real mistery for me!!...

The second, wonderful type I or Guisborough, is of the III century and it is a myth!!!..

Third is the mysteriuous (as to say we do not know where it comes from!) exemplar blonging to a private collection, with the cheekpieces strongly curved, very nice helmet!

I like the spangenhelm types exactly for the same reasons you hate them!.....Life is strange!...
    But not all the spangenhems! I like Der El Medinet and the Gothic types, they are magnificent!

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    The middle helmet belonged to some average cavalry trooper, IIRC. So was written on one old osprey plate, I think.
    For an "average" cavalry trooper its a pretty nice helmet lol! Yes, I remember seeing it on Osprey, and I think Johnny Shumate made a really nice illustration too, which captures the 3rd/4th century 'feel' perfectly I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    The first is really beautiful, why someone said it is inaccurate is a real mistery for me!!...

The second, wonderful type I or Guisborough, is of the III century and it is a myth!!!..

Third is the mysteriuous (as to say we do not know where it comes from!) exemplar blonging to a private collection, with the cheekpieces strongly curved, very nice helmet!

I like the spangenhelm types exactly for the same reasons you hate them!.....Life is strange!...
    But not all the spangenhems! I like Der El Medinet and the Gothic types, they are magnificent!
    Why is the second one a "myth"? I thought it was a real find?

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    For an "average" cavalry trooper its a pretty nice helmet lol!
    That's why I remember it saying so.

I hate the Intercisa and Sprangehelm types. The former ( in my opinion ) just looks like worse, badly made copies of better 1st/2nd/3rd century helmets, and the latter just reminds me of the dark ages, and everything that was wrong with it...
    Intercisa is not high in my opinion but I would take it if there is no other choice . The sprangehelm, however, is too germanic for me... My mind mix it with the germanic invaders of the Vth century.

Envers et contre tous...et c'est tant mieux ainsi ! Ze political profile

Maybe he meant to say 'legendary?'

(Edit): Man, Halo 4 actually looks pretty legit now. It's like Halo meets Metroid Prime meets Titan A.E. It looks pretty good, and these Forerunner enemies and weapons are pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=iq1e_jKe39c
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; June 04, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda

As said Gallienus (Thanks Gallienus!) I wanted to say 'legendary', it is a myth, because all the people who like the III century Romans, dream about that masterpiece! It is a myth because it is absolutely magnificent! It is a myth because everyone would like owning one!!! It is a myth because a centralized great Ancient Empire was able to produce such a wonderful artistic defensive piece! It is a myth because to see something so good you will have to wait until the Renaissence's Italian or German Armors! Why did Rome fall, if the Romans built so magnificent helmets?

As said Gallienus (Thanks Gallienus!) I wanted to say 'legendary', it is a myth, because all the people who like the III century Romans, dream about that masterpiece! It is a myth because it is absolutely magnificent! It is a myth because everyone would like owning one!!! It is a myth because a centralized great Ancient Empire was able to produce such a wonderful artistic defensive piece! It is a myth because to see something so good you will have to wait until the Renaissence's Italian or German Armors! Why did Rome fall, if the Romans built so magnificent helmets?
    Yes well, "myth" implies nonexistence or fiction.

Sample definition:
    "an imaginary or fictitious thing or person."

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

http://halo.xbox.com/halo4#

GONNA BE IN AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    http://halo.xbox.com/halo4#

GONNA BE IN AWESOME
    I can't wait to see all the new forerunner stuff myself. We'll see where this new trilogy takes us, hopefully some place nice.

Anyone here play Battlefield 3 by any chance?

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Thanks FCG, I get it now. It is a pretty amazing piece of armour and art. Just think of all the other helmets that remain to be found, and the ones we will perhaps never even find out about!

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    I can't wait to see all the new forerunner stuff myself. We'll see where this new trilogy takes us, hopefully some place nice.
    Never got into Halo, probably due to lack of opportunity than anything else. I don't tend to pay much attention to games that start on consoles and *then* migrate to the PC...

As for Battlefield 3, my current video card wouldn't even support it. I loved BF2 though, is it comparable?

Too heavy for my PC. I'd love to, though. I love battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus
    Yes well, "myth" implies nonexistence or fiction.
    I have to desagree about your statement, I think that there are many living myths! Some exemple? Soccer: Pelè, Diego Armando Maradona ...etc...etc.... War: The first Mechanized US Army Division in Germany, the Tiger and the King Tiger Tanks, the SAS, the Navy Seals..etc...etc... Music: write you the names, they are too much...... Movies: Apocalipse Now, Terminatator, Blade Runner....etc.....etc....Literature...., Art...., Architecture...Theatre.....Politics....., the world is full of living myth!....

I have to desagree about your statement, I think that there are many living myths! Some exemple? Soccer: Pelè, Diego Armando Maradona ...etc...etc.... War: The first Mechanized US Army Division in Germany, the Tiger and the King Tiger Tanks, the SAS, the Navy Seals..etc...etc... Music: write you the names, they are too much...... Movies: Apocalipse Now, Terminatator, Blade Runner....etc.....etc....Literature...., Art...., Architecture...Theatre.....Politics....., the world is full of living myth!....
    So you basically disagree with what the dictionary says...

myth

   [mith] Show IPA
    noun 1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.

3. any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.

4. an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.

5. an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus
    So you basically disagree with what the dictionary says...

No, Gallienus, I agree with the dictionary, but...I'll try to explain better what I want to say: I do not know if you follow football (soccer), Maradona is really a living myth, as to say that people still remember his great goals and talk about him like a living myth, his exploits are legendary, as to say, that his story is already a legend, all is documented by TV but this is not important, because in the collective imaginary, all is deformed in a true mythology. It is not important that the object of the myth is still alive or not, are his actions, as percieved by the collectivity, that are the real myth.
    Exactly the same happens for books, movies, actors, music, politicians,...do you remember that small man alone in front of a column of Chinese tanks? It is a real fact, it really happened, it is documented by TV,...but its meaning is so strong that surpassed the reality and beacame a myth, a living legend of a single unarmed man who stops a column of tanks! This is Myth, Legend, living symbol....that surpasses the pure reality of the facts. The pure heroism, the beauty of the action, the incredible strength of that small man, the signifianceof his heroism,.......all this is much more than a simple fact, it is a myth!..and let me to say, a magnificent myth!!

Yes, I'm sure his handball against England was truly mythical...

Yes, Gandalf! I did not love Maradona, but his hand gol against Engaland.............()

I didn't find it funny.

I find it very, very, very,very funny!!!! ....

Look at this, and try to say that he is not a living myth!