Thread: - The Tavern -

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: - The Tavern -

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    In my spare time, I study the universe.
    Also I've already tried this but, a part the awesome beauty I don't understand anything else .... (translated in Italian: '.. non c'ho capito una beata fava!' )

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    In my spare time, I study the universe.
    I've been studying experimental spacecraft propulsion, from magnetoplasma rockets to warp drive, for the past 2-3 years now.

I was joking, and paraphrasing legendary dart commentator Sid Waddell. The quote I like the most is the one he said when Eric Bristow won the World Darts Championship:

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer... Bristow's only 27..."

Quote Originally Posted by Joar
    I was joking, ....
    Of course! Also I was joking! Actually, the Universe has no secrets for me!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

EDIT: NVMND, I have all day if anyone wants to play some SAI OLB or EU3
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; June 17, 2014 at 09:40 AM.

Well then what a surprise, I'll be on.
    炸鸡

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Today me and Broski fought 2 fantastic battles, after much technical difficulties, in RTW SAI OLB.

The first battle was Picts vs. Burgundians... let's just say I hate beserker units...

The second battle was much more interesting, as Broski was the WRE and I was the ERE. Broski and I advanced our Roman lines into the range of each other's archers. Broski had far superior cavalry than me, with a unit of Catafractarii and a unit of Equites Dalmatae, and I only had a unit of Promoti, but I had the advantage of an Auxilia Palatina unit to counterbalance that.

The battle opened with 2 units of my Promoti charging his Dalmatae, and then a delayed charge by my 3rd Promoti Turma. When one of his catafractarii Turmae hit the side of my Promoti, engaged with his Dalmatae, my delayed 3rd turma slammed into his Catafractarii and routed three of his cavalry Turmae. Meanwhile, the Flavia Constantia legion was moving up to support my cavalry, now threatened by more Catafracts and one of his legions, while my General attacked his last Dalmatae unit on his right flank, and my Septimani Legion began to outflank him on the Right. In the center, the Victores Iuniores held against his 2 legions.

Although I wasn't sure how reliable the Flavia Constantia Victrix were, they proved to be very reliable in the desert environment, and held the line against one of Broski's Legions and his Catafractarii on the Left flank. Meanwhile my Promoti and my General were moving about on Broski's left flank holding the line and prying for openings. In the center, the Victores had engaged in hand-to-hand, and the Septimani had engaged his Legion on his right flank. The Septimani quickly routed the enemy Legion and divvied themselves up into either helping the Victores, taking out one or two of the remaining enemy centuries who hadn't routed, or moving on to defeat the Catafractarii who were circling around the Constantia Victrix.

With things in my favor, I had my archers concentrate their fire on the enemy Catafracts to try and knock them down, while the Victores in the center remained engaged against a unit of enemy legionnaires. The retreat of Broski's Catafracts basically guarenteed the collapse of his left flank and the battle became a rout.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; June 17, 2014 at 03:32 PM.

'..."Nice story Mag and Bros! I'm sure you have taken some screen for me ... Haven't you?"

... hissed the Italian cutthroat watching the beam of light lingering on the blade of his deadly Rapier in the darkness of the Tavern ...'

From the XVII century Novel: "Stories of Horror and Death at the court of King Louis XIV",
    by Mon Seigneur Charles Auguste Varin De La Cape Noir, Paris 1678.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Broski recorded both.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Congrats to both Generals, i'll be waiting for screens or or video.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah. If anyone wants to play tomorrow morning I have plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius
    .... tomorrow morning I have plenty of time.
    It looks like MMFA has forgotten the grass, again! Yes, because ..... he MUST mowing the lawn, before playing TW games online!

Main source: FaceBook.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What? I don't have any lawns to mow until this weekend.

The first battle battle was hilarious. The balance bar was so against me that I was like this: I suspect MMFA brought lots of heavy infantry and elite cavalry with lots of chevrons. There was a large hill but I knew I couldn't make use of my four slinger units to my advantage rushing up a hill so I deployed far away forcing MMFA to waste his time coming to me will I kept running away. Then I engaged on my terms, his melee line wavered from missile fire and rear threats then I sent in my berserker and his units mass routed. One key was shifting my cavalry all to one side to deal with his cavalry that was all blobbed up.

Second battle I invested into six cavalry units, the Dalmatae got ripped apart by MMFA's promoti or something then I was like screw it and took the fight, downfall was that I didn't shift 3 cavalry to my left to kill off his cavalry and just hammer him mercilessly but oh well it was a friendly game. He had superior infantry and foot missiles and essentially ripped through my forces. Flaming arrows from my archers chain routed some of my own units too. XD (The balance bar was slightly against me so I suspected good infantry component instead if cavalry)

One way I could've taken the engagement was just shift my cavalry to MMFA's small cavalry force, crush it and keep running away my infantry until I'm at a good spot to engage.

I will upload them for the sake of it.
    炸鸡

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I thought you WERE going to shift those catafracts to attack my cavalry, that's why I sent a whole Legion that way.

We should collect all the best battles fought using SAI and then we should create an archive with maps, movements of troops and some (the best) pic, and a short but professional and clear description of any battle, few videos are allowed, all this material should be packed together in a dedicated thread named:

'Great Battles of the Late Antiquity - a Collection of the Best Battles Fought Using the Mod SAI and a Guide for Reconstructing the Warfare in the Late Antiquity', IBFD Editions.

Kidarates versus Huns.

A crushing victory for the Kidarates. ;P

My cheaper horse archers with cantabrian circle prevailed. Cantabrian circle is really strong and can waste so many arrows.

Rome versus Rome.

Limitanei versus Limitanei. I experimented by using 3 horse archers as my only cavalry and eventually through flaming arrows plus horse archer support MMFA chain routed. I love flaming arrows, the morale effect is significant in Rome 1.
    炸鸡

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah, but they also have reduced accuracy which is why I usually don't use them. Against troops with low morale though, they're fairly worthwhile. I had actually picked Funditores over archers because Funditores had more missile damage.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

OMG Diocle has infected me!!! after seven hours (not in a row) of fierce battles i am now leading my squads and seeking revenge for Captain Thule.
    For the Emperor and the Space Marines.!!!
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    OMG Diocle has infected me!!! after seven hours (not in a row) of fierce battles i am now leading my squads and seeking revenge for Captain Thule.
    For the Emperor and the Space Marines.!!!

"They shall be my finest warriors,
    these men who give of themselves to me.

Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of war forge them.
    They shall be of iron will and steel sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad them
    and with the mightiest weapons they will be armed.
    They will be untouched by plague or disease;
    no sickness shall blight them.
    They shall have such tactics, strategies and machines
    that no foe can best them in battle.
    They are my bulwark against the Terror.
    They are the Defenders of Humanity.
    They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear."*

The Emperor of Mankind

Remember Brother Sertorio, the Emprah protects!
    Walk softly and carry a big gun ...

* Note: 'They shall know no fear' it is one of the fundamental rules of the tabletop game WH40K, regarding the Space Marines, it means that THE SPACE MARINES NEVER FLEE! They may perform a tactical withdrawal (a move back always fighting) but they cannot break and flee, this is an important rule wargaming them.