Page 81 of 501 FirstFirst ... 3156717273747576777879808182838485868788899091106131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 10001

Thread: - The Tavern -

Default Re: - The Tavern -

Diocletianus built a rational and very functional system, he probably reduced the number of men in his new Legions, but not so much like in the Constantine model, and Diocletianus even restored the number of men of the old legions on the Limina, his work restored the Roman Empire for the last time.
    There's 72 demons in Hell!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...the_Ars_Goetia

Would tricky Dio have settled for less?

Later on in the ND there is over 200!
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

The Notitia for sure dates back from a time after the death of Theodosius (395) because shows the division between the two parts of the Empire, the Eastern part cheased to be updated from the year 413, because it not presents the 'comes Ponticae' that is attested in the Codex Theodosianus.
    The end of the updates for Western part, in extreme synthesis, can be included between the 420 and the 430 AD.

We must be very cautious with the legions listed in the Notitia, especially if we try to reconstruct the legions of the Tetrarchy, the debate is and will be opened, but you cannot use all the legions listed in the Notitia like the same subject. Read books and all you find, and try to understand the problem, it is a very complex matter, I'm not here to explain (I would not be able, I repeat I'm not an historian and I'm quite happy about this!!), read, read, read......

I repeat IMHO 53 Legions or little more, I made names, locations and numbers.

In the end a side note (from an interesting interview of Valerio Massimo Manfredi, writer, archeologist and historian):
    He thinks that the Fall of the Empire was due to the Civil Wars and the Roman inability to find a constitutional model of state:

Battle between the bastard (in strict sense o.c.! his mom was a whore! it is sad but true! But then she discovered the christian god so......she became a saint!!!) Constantinus and Lycinius at Adrianople, two armies of 130.000 men on one side against 160.000 men on the opposite side!!!!!!!! Total 300.000 men for the Civil war of the bastard Constantinus!!!
    Do you understand? 300.000 men, Romans!!!!!!! who were deployed to kill themselves, because Constantinus the moron, wanted to be the only one!!!!...This is Military and Political Madness!!!...and someone continues to ask: why did Rome fall???.............

I can say one thing: for sure Diocletianus was not a mad, a traitor, a political moron or a psychopath!

Diocletian was the Richard Nixon of Rome. Despised when in office he came to be greatly admired in hindsight.

Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Why not?...He ended a silly war in Viet Nam (started by the 'saint' Kennedy to save the ass to the French!) opening the new global strategy toward China!!.....China bloked the advance in Vietnam of Russia and USA found a new Pacific strategy!!!!!!! We live still today on the strategy of Nixon, the evil Nixon, the Fascist Nixon, the cruel Nixon!!!!.......IMHO Richard Nixon was a great President of the USA, and Kissinger was one of the best mind of the XX century!....But I'm an heretic and for the priests an Apostata...so my opinions are evil!!!........

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Diocle you asked my opinion! I gave it, as it happens the number 67 comes from Professor Brian Campbell, I will oblige you with further information later, in the RO thread.
    incidentally Kennedy didn't start the Vietnam war

Signature made by Joar

Kennedy started the Vietnam War, then he was killed, and his vice Jhonson, continued the job, started by Kennedy!

I know it is a sad thing to admit! Kennedy is so beloved.....he is so nice!!......his grandfather was a Irish gangster but.....he not, he seemed a perfect gentleman!!!......he was a sexual perverted...but this is not important...he was so nice!!!....Nixon was the evil guy!!!.....I know the story...I've heard too many times the story of the good boy and the Fascist Nixon!!...The strange thing is that there is still someone who belives in this fable.....

I thought we went overthere cause we didn't want communism to spread. How the hell is that Kennedy's fault?
    Sounds like a noble cause to me.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Well,....it might be not so simple...I think;

....the USA went there to save the French ass! The French was losing their colonies and Kennedy chose to help them when they were already defeated....the war was a silly war......too many casualties, a war of ambushes and small actions, when US Military machine was built for a big war of attrition.....sadly we all know how that war developed...probably it was the start of the American relative decline.......it was a defeat....the first defeat of the USA in a war, it was not a good moment, but Nixon was the man who was able to extricate that complex strategic situation and to transform a military defeat in something else (but many did not understand what he was doing!), Nixon and Kissinger opening to the Communist China, from one side bloked the Russian expansion in South Pacific, preventing them from exploiting the succes in Viet Nam (it was essential prevent to the Russians to have a naval base in Pacific!), on the other side the new relations with Pechino opened a new perspective of trade and development for the West Coast of the US,( and for all the world) and the strategic situation found a new balance of power.

IMHO this is politics at its top!!! This is a great Imperial strategy!! This is strategic understanding and tactical intelligence,.....but all hate Nixon.....all think that Nixon was the man who caused the defeat! all think that Kennedy was a good boy and Nixon was a cynic and evil man!....Well, I think exactly the opposite! IMHO Nixon was a great president, Kissinger was one of the best politicians of the XX century, and probably Kennedy was not the great man that many imagine!.......

Diocle... Give up the ghost

Let's feed the fire, JFK and the President of South Vietnam were both murdered in the same month!

Beware Heretics, Mutants, Aliens!!!
    Now I'm the GOD EMPRAH! of Humankind!!!!...
    No mercy for you! Heretics and Traitors!!..
    Beware alien scum!
    Now Diocle is the God Emperor of Holy Terra!!

I'll leave Vietnam for now a simple glance at a book will tell you the war was already well underway before Kennedy- and I can assure you - I am not a Kennedy fan!
    I see you have a new avatar Diocle , very 'religious' surely a Latini Rhetores would suit you better, perhaps Aulus Gellius if you can find an image, still I like the new one...although I thought you were a MTWII mod leader..wars of religion .
    Last edited by Constantius; April 25, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

Signature made by Joar

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Not while the UNSC Home Defense Fleet stands ready to defend earth.

Admiral Harper! Engage the Enemy. All Orbital Platforms Fire at Will!

"Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!"

Diocle is a child trapped in an adult man's body. lol

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    I think there is a little of that in all of us...except Joar

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    I think there is a little of that in all of us...except Joar
    Wise words Constantius, really wise words!!!...Sadly it is not always an easy task keepping alive the child in our old and tired hearts!!!

Anyway, this is the Emprah!!!
    In the climx of Horus Heresy, he alone after the death of the Great Primarch Sanginius, is ready to fight against the Demonic possessed Horus (on the left!), to save humankind from Chaos!

About Viet Nam, you are right o.c.! But why not to help the French before Dien Pien Pho? Why waiting for the French defeat?....but this is USA history, I love USA, the first country without aristocracy!! A land of hope for all the Europeans!!...I wanted only to defend the memory of a good president, Nixon.....but this is not my history, this is American history so here I end!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    Actually that's a legit psychological condition - one of my friend's brother has it but I forget what it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Actually that's a legit psychological condition - one of my friend's brother has it but I forget what it's called.

Mom!!....Mom!!!!...Gallienus and Magister and Wulfgar have been bad with me,...Yes!
    They hate me cuz I've the Emprah...and they not!!!