Thread: - The Tavern -

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: - The Tavern -

I don't like Coffee (although I think it smells delicious, I just hate the taste.) I don't like spaghetti either.

I don't know what to say to that.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

There is a positive aspect anyway: Mag doesn't like coffee and spaghetti, well, this is good for his health, for his weight and for his cholesterol, and so on.
    Also in the saddest things of life we can read a positive messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    We don't know who were exactly the Cimbri and the Teutones, were they Gauls Germanized or Germans Gaulicized ('Gaulicized'? .. .. some time I'm scared by the words I invent!)? who knows? Anyway they were dangerous! as always!
    An argument that has gone on for a long time. Generally most historians have swung towards them being actual Germanics. The Roman accounts refer to their strange language, which is less likely to have been case if their language was Celtic and one the Romans were familiar with. In addition the Celtic and the Italic languages were very closely related. Although German is now considered a member of the Western Indo-European group it diverged significantly in Scandinavian isolation. But no doubt the invaders picked up a few unrelated opportunists on their journey including even people partially subject to Rome.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

I agree the whole story about Cimbri and Teutones shows a new threat for the Romans, they were perceived as newcomers and if they were Celts or Gauls they would not be felt as a new danger to deal with.
    The Celts and the Gauls were settled in Italy from the VII century BC (Insubri, Salassi, Leponzi, Taurini, Cenomani, Boi, Lingoni, Carni, Senoni) so their language and civilization was well known even by the Etruscan Commonwealth, so, yes also for me the Cimbri and Teutones were Germanic tribes (maybe an early form of federation of smaller groups), we should also consider that the process of ethnogenesis of the Germanic groups was still ongoing and even in the V or VI centuries AD, it couldn't be considered concluded.

Nevertheless all the possible nuances and mixtures, in a large area from Netherlands to the Alps across the river Rhine (not to consider the Danube and the East), between Celts, Gauls and Germans are entirely possible.

I say only this: Mag is playing EU4 all day, and he's going on in this way for weeks and weeks, the situation is dangerous! Probably he's maliciously trying to subdue the whole continent .....

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

Trust me, Diocle, one can lose track of time when playing EU4. The game has immense replay value. I'm currently in the middle of a Brandenburg/Prussia campaign, ousting filthy Frenchmen from Alsace! Who knows.... One day, if I display a masochistic streak I might even try playing the Republic of Ragusa....

Yeah, OK, but .. there are no battles, I need watching thousands small men dying for me, displaying pain and gore everywhere, I need to see their blood and their tortured corpses on the field! ...the strategy alone without bloody battles is too cold.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I played EU4 with Extended Timeline for an hour or two today, but was mostly working on building a website.

Yesterday I spent all day building my Late Roman Shield. Will probably work on it again Tuesday. Gotta get the linen on there so I can attach the shield boss. But first I gotta go to hobby lobby to get heavy-duty thread so I can sew it on.

How do you put the linen on the shield? Glue? Sewing? In which way the linen is attached to the wood?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Both. You gotta make sure it's taut and you glue it to begin with, and then you sew it on by drilling holes around the rim of the shield, and sewing the rawhide or linen or leather edging of your shield on.

Ah nice to know that info about the Germanic people.

I still remember Diocle giving me permission to use his artworks (beautiful, I love it) so for quite a while I used it as my avatar on ModdB, uploaded some of his artworks on Moddb just for the sake of uploading them&. (with credit given in multiple locations) Though I don't really use ModdB that much.

Today I had an idea and used Gimp to combine multiple of Diocle's artworks into one and blended them together. (First time, learned some useful information on image editing!) I was surprised by the results of my learning experience so I might draw something and edit the image with gimp.

Here is the result.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1yK0vw3LcDo

I also use Diocle's artwork as my avatar on youtube.

Also I might have time to do a real campaign of Invasio Barbarorum. Though I want to wait for IB:RR (My favorite) or RO.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; July 20, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
    炸鸡

Broski, if I say your work is wonderful I would be self celebrating myself , if I say nothing ... I would be an idiot because your of montage of the drawing is really really good, so what to say?

This is my choice: GREAT WORK BROSKI! ... +REP.

Side note:
    I do not like almost anything in Rome 2, THIS IS NOT A CRITIC AGAINST YOUR VIDEOS BROSKI, THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY GOOD AND INTERESTING, it's only an observation based on my aesthetic personal tastes and on my Total War experience started in 2003: I don't like the tactical maps, I hate the strategic map, I don't like the units, I don't like the gameplay, I don't like the strategic framework of the game, I don't like the lighting system, I don't like the colors, I don't like the animations, I don't like the way used to depict the ancient warfare, I don't like the battles, the units' speed, the sieges, ... in short: I don't like anything of this game and I won't buy it.

Thanks Mag for your interesting information about the shield making process, though I already suspected the use of glue.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Mag has played EU4 even this morning ...
    and if you give me some money I can also tell you exactly when ..."
    hissed the Italian cutthroat under the trembling light of the candle ...

EU4 in multi is pure wonder. With friends, it is even better ! I love to play the shrewd Kingdom of Italy, the stable Kingdom of Bohemia or the powerfull Duchy of Bourgogne.

Envers et contre tous...et c'est tant mieux ainsi ! Ze political profile

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Glory to Prugundy!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I really hate that the Purple Phoenix mod is no longer being updated. I loved that mod.

What is the 'Purple Phoenix mod', Mag?

It sounds like a CIA project or better: some NSA secret nazi-mission,
    that is, one of those idiotic plots they like more ....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It was a mod that really "fleshed out" (so to speak) the Basileia Toh Rhomaioi, it added tons of missions, unique ideas, unique unit names, etc. It was fantastic if you coupled it with 'MEIOU & Taxes' which drastically improved the Religious system, and basically made for an immersive Roman restoration campaign. But since EU3 updated to 1.7 to accommodate the new Res Publica expansion, Purple Pheonix doesn't work anymore