Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or do archers no longer gain a range bonus on a hill?

Default Is it just me, or do archers no longer gain a range bonus on a hill?

I just alt-tabbed out of a battle in my campaign. I set my army up high on the side of a mountain assuming that just like in the other games (and in reality) this would give me a big range bonus over my enemy. However, much to my extreme disappointment, I'm currently watching their archers fire up the side of a mountain to hit my Yari and my archers immediately behind them can't fire back because they are out of range despite being about 200 feet above the attackers.

This is really disheartening for me as I've always taken pride in the way I utilize an advantage in elevation. I'll always remember playing MTW facing 15,000 mongolians and parking my much smaller army in a tight formation at the top of a mountain to weather the storm. Man...those battles took hours and hours...but I digress.

Does anyone know if there is at least an attack bonus for archers on a hill? And, dare I ask, there are still bonuses for infantry and whatnot depending on who has the high ground, correct?

AceMcKillYoFace's Avatar Barbarus

Default Re: Is it just me, or do archers no longer gain a range bonus on a hill?

I think it may just be morale bonus now.

Default Re: Is it just me, or do archers no longer gain a range bonus on a hill?

Yeah, I think its because of the Warscape Engine. Even on higher elevations a unit's range will not increase. It's still within that cone.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

uh no since riflemen got a huge range increase on hills in etw.

Okay, nevermind, I've been corrected XD

I noticed this too, my archers were up on a hill (not the biggest but im pretty sure it was big enough) and they had the same range as the archers i was shooting at. I was definately expecting to have a longer range..

I was playing as Chosokabe using the samurai archers so im pretty sure i had the better archers, is there any chance the archers you were fighting had a longer range?

Ive always found this to be probably the biggest advantage of waiting on a hill.. you get all that extra time to shoot at an enemy that has to walk towards you. Maybe if the range is the same a mod can fix it?
    "After that business with hydrophobic invasion forces in Empire: Total War, it's impossible to sit down to review a new Creative Assembly creation without anxiety. Will I miss some grievous bug and end up looking like an arse? Should I sprinkle my paragraphs with verbal get-out clauses like 'appears to', 'from what I saw' and 'on the whole'? Am I destined to be remembered as the critic that failed to notice that all the horses in Shogun 2 only have three legs? It can reach the point where you wonder if you'd be better off phoning-in sick and letting the poisoned chalice pass to another poor blighter."

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
    However, much to my extreme disappointment, I'm currently watching their archers fire up the side of a mountain to hit my Yari and my archers immediately behind them can't fire back because they are out of range despite being about 200 feet above the attackers.
    Are you 100% sure about this ? That would be very bad!
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

I've noticed the same thing.

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

The hill gives you some advantages but more for infantry.

When defending a hill, an enemy charge on your line will have less power since they need to run up hill. Your units defending will have an easier time doing so. Archers do no longer have a range bonus on hills (I have never seen it in all my battles in shogun2 so I don't think it's there)
    Archers imo are best used in a forest behind infantry that is hidden, you put auto fire off and wait until you are sure you can hit the enemy archers, then you unleash hell with fire in the first volley and watch the enemy archers die

This is not good. I'm guessing it's the same for archers inside castles?

Quote Originally Posted by LinoraN View Post
    This is not good. I'm guessing it's the same for archers inside castles?
    yea however archers in castles can allways hit enemy archers first (normally) and they should have protection if you place them on the wall under that cover, then 1 archer can rip through 4 enemy archers easily the key is placing them smartly and correctly

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Ahh for flips sake that's disappointing not only was I hoping there would be interesting terrain but that positioning archers on that terrain ( height) would be part of the game play.

Seriously at this stage CA should have some elements of tactical warfare as bog standard default mechanisms.

well having the high terrain is still a strategic advantage, I love to wait until the enemy charges uphill at my katana infantry to charge them with my katana, charging downhill is devastating. But for archers there seem to be no big advantages (other than being able to shoot direct arrows over your own infantry lines)

Empirion0's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Falconpilot View Post
    yea however archers in castles can allways hit enemy archers first (normally) and they should have protection if you place them on the wall under that cover, then 1 archer can rip through 4 enemy archers easily the key is placing them smartly and correctly
    Actually, since Japanese walls are so low, all I need to do is put my own archers in loose formation, run them towards the wall so that the enemy archers defending the wall are inside of the firing arc as oppose to on the edge. That way my archers will shoot into the sky and 100% of their arrows will clear the wall and land in the enemy archer formation.

"An Empire advances on its finance."- Me

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

I seriously hope there will be a Darthmod for this game...
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

OK so you want your archers to have a range bonus on a hill but you also want to be able to place them behind your own infantry and hit enemy soldiers they can't even see like they have jedi premonition?

Coolguy's Avatar Libertus

I'm positive there no range advantage (which is really really sad).

The only difference I think is that arrows fired from a higher position seem to be more damaging than volleys fired from a lower height.

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental View Post
    OK so you want your archers to have a range bonus on a hill but you also want to be able to place them behind your own infantry and hit enemy soldiers they can't even see like they have jedi premonition?
    I think you misunderstood, the op is that archers don't get a range bonus on hill.

If you were saying that as response to stuff I said then you understood me completely wrong, I said:

Archers have NO range bonus on hills, the only advantage hills have is that you CAN place them behind your own infantry and still be able to direct fire enemies because of the height difference. And if you are smart you make sure your own troops are in cover and hidden so the ENEMY doesn't see YOUR troops and you can hit them when in full range.

Lack of increased range from hills is a big fail, that has always been part of TW games for missile troops. I cant think that would be easy to mod... or would it? The bonus to attack from infantry on hills is not enough of a bonus if you are a smaller force fighting on the defence.

Empirion0's Avatar Civis

I don't know if the range of archers is intended in Shogun 2 or not. I, myself, know nothing about Kyudo or Kyujutsu so I can't confirm anything, but one thing I do notice is that archers always will shoot with an angle. Even when it is like point-blank range. In previous titles like Rome and Medieval, archers will shoot linearly if the enemy is right in their face.

So maybe the way Japanese bows are made and they way their archers are trained explains why there are no ranged(distance) bonus on a hill? Might worth looking into.

"An Empire advances on its finance."- Me

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast