Thread: Is Shogun 2 any good?

Default Is Shogun 2 any good?

I looked through the first bunch of pages and didn't find this topic sooo...

For someone who, after 10 hours of playing Empire, was so enraged at what had happened to the total war series he never played Empire again, and pretty much ignored all the pre-release hype for Shogun 2, is this game worth it?

Have they redeemed themselves?

Does this game stand up to Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Med2?

Mwulf's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Is Shogun 2 any good?

It's got a great demo. Download it, and make up your own mind.

Or check out the whole sub-forum dedicated to, you know, what we all think of the game.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1556
    "What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power, and those who flatter them, hide in safe places and extol war--people who force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, sending them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war... mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites?"
    -Yang Wen-Li

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post

For someone who, after 10 hours of playing Empire, was so enraged at what had happened to the total war series he never played Empire again, and pretty much ignored all the pre-release hype for Shogun 2, is this game worth it?

Have they redeemed themselves?

Does this game stand up to Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Med2?
    People have big rose colored glasses when they look at the old games.

It is a VERY good game; graphically it has its problems, but you might not care if you don't mind jaggies.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    People have big rose colored glasses when they look at the old games.
    Really.....If I hear someone else proclaim RTW as "flawless" or something to that effect, I might actually consider committing Seppuku.

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

No you wont.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    No you wont.
    I said I would "consider," I didn't say I was going through with it.

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Yes, despite some of the problems and graphic issues, this game is excellent.

Yes.

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

short answer.. yes

I'd say yes, but ironically I like it EXCEPT for the battles. Thousand blue sprites - all the same - vs 1000 white sprites - all the same. Sometimes with dust! I say ironical because I play TW games for the battles, EU3 et al for campaign strategy fix. I'm enjoying Shogun 2 for the campaign strategy, but the best bloody part of TW games is on holiday for another month...

you what made the old games absolutely fantastic? The mods. I've gone back and played vanilla versions of the past games and was bored out of my mind after 20 turns. I mean besides every faction having the same type of units (which isn't so bad since it IS local) and crazy blitzing AI, the game holds up pretty well. I too wasn't fond of Empire at the start however over time I realized it was bold step for the series and took risks that they didn't really take with this one.

Yes

First impressions.....wish I hadn't wasted £30 on it

second impression much better than the last 2 releases
    Last edited by The last roman; March 17, 2011 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
    I had the same experience with Empire, played it for all of a day, before giving up on the game....

I'm liking Shogun2...

Be warned though this is a different total war experience .... In past TW games i used to spend the initial years/turns building/developing and basically focussed on the economy ... after a couple of campaigns on that strategy, i have realized S2TW is different.

Basically with so many clans stuck on the tiny island of japan the campaign is on steroids... constantly shifting province ownership, constantly shifting alliances, constantly shifting political landscape ...its a doozy to keep track off... and you need to constantly reevaluate your campaign strategy.

Its awesome fun though !! The BAI is better than any TW game before. Reserving judgement on CAI until i finish a campaign, but so far its aggressive and despite claims on other threads that its illogical ... I think the AI is living the Frederick the Great philosophy, who said “he who defends everything, defends nothing.”

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

...is because the lizard men have been out again......

...musnt is speak bad of the prescioussness.....nooooooo

I'm loving these martial artisans who show up offering their skills for hire, but circumstances have limited the amount of time I've had to play it - so more later.

One thing is quite obvious though - anti-liasing is BADLY needed for the 3D battles.

The animation of cavalry is poor compared with Napoleon, & why do a lot of said cavalry appear to be mounted on shire horses ? Some of these guys are HUGE !