Thread: Maintain formation while moving?

magickyleo101's Avatar Here Come The Judge

Default Maintain formation while moving?

Does anyone know the trick to making sure that units you've put in a group maintain their formation while moving? The vast majority of the time when I tell my units to move they do so, but sometimes they'll all just move individually (e.g. my general will get way out in front of my spearmen). I can't really figure out the pattern of when they maintain the formation and when they don't. Usually just clicking seems to work, but maybe there's a button you have to push?
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable PowerWizard.

Primicerius

Default Re: Maintain formation while moving?

Usually, ALT + right clicking on the destination works pretty well (as long as you have units with similar speeds grouped together). Also, the interface now has "direct forward", "direct backward" and rotation buttons (right under the general's portrait. Giving commands with those seem to produce consistent results.

Yeah I get the same thing. So I have to group them and put them into one of the assigned Japanese formations for them to stay put and move in formation...

But I remember in Rome Total War, you didn't have to group up your units and instead one could simply select the units needed and they would still move in formation wherever you clicked.

magickyleo101's Avatar Here Come The Judge

Yeah, that's what's weird about the whole thing. Sometimes my units will move in whatever formation I put them in when I group them up during deployment, but sometimes they'll reject that altogether. It's really pretty frustrating, and so far my only real complaint with the game.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable PowerWizard.

Group them ctrl-G

Yeah, this problem was baffling me for a while, but I have found a solution!

Solution: Find your general's portrait in the lower left hand corner of your screen, and click (or hold down) the forward arrow on the directional pad. A tad annoying, but it works.