Thread: Tips for Campaign?

Default Tips for Campaign?

Seeing how I cant cheat my way like I did in Rome or Medieval, any tips on gaining income and beating the campaign on time?

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Tips for Campaign?

The AI doesn't around, so be ready for constant attacks.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    The AI doesn't around, so be ready for constant attacks.
    You just have to get passed the first few attacks then your fine, playing on hard as Shizamu master race.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Madfluffy View Post
    Seeing how I cant cheat my way like I did in Rome or Medieval, any tips on gaining income and beating the campaign on time?
    Blitz.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Moved to Shogun: Gameplay & Strategy
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Blitz.
    Even that doesn't work for long I have tried three different factions and I can usually take 1 or 2 provinces and then I'll run into serious resistance of factions that are every bit as strong or stronger.

Sgt.Valenzuela's Avatar Civitate

thought Id add to this instead of making new thread....

well here is an awesome tip for any lvl of difficulty however is a INCREDIBLE tip for playing on Legendary.....

Sabotage your friends Farm next to your lands. There is a very HIGH chance it will rebel and allow you to take it from the rebels =) and you can also do it to your enemys =)

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

When you defeat an enemy stack or two go on the offensive asap...most likely you have defeated their forces and their cities are undefended. As the Shimazu I had 8 provinces and was facing the Mazada clan? (spelling) and they had 8 provinces as well. I saw they were embroiled in a conflict to the east so I promtly declared war and defeated 2 stacks (not even full stacks) and managed to grabb 5 of their territories with my two stacks in 4 turns.. I would have gone for the kill but I only had enough troops to pacify 4 provinces due to christian population so I ressurected the Mori as my vassals in the 5th territory
    No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy
    - Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke -

Income

Successful trade will make you rich, while you can't buy the title of shogun... it does make earning it quite easier. Grab trade nodes as soon as possible, there won't be much competition (I've only had to deal with the Shoni and the green whelps to the east of the Chosokabe.)

Get trade rights from the more prominent factions first, this includes the Hojo, the Hattori and the Chosokabe. These clans typically grow into large kingdoms unless interrupted by the player. If you wait until they reach 5-6 provinces they will want a few thousand gold to accept trade, where as early on they will give it cheaper (or free, if you are doing better than they are)

Sado and Izu have gold mines and they can typically be taken early on (I've taken Izu as early as turn ten as Oda, though most of the Hojo armies were busy expanding east.) While wiping out the occupants of Sado will be easy, if you wish to preserve trade with Hojo (Which I recommend unless you need to take them out for some reason) you will want to either sabotage buildings or better yet, use monks to stir up a religious storm.

Everything else

Pick wars carefully, do not take on a clan you are not certain you can destroy. Beyond the initial group of rebels or small clan force every clan must face at the start of the campaign their typically isn't an immediate threat unless you expand too quickly or neglect unruly neighbors.

Your armies should be Ashigaru at the start, and mostly Ashigaru up to the finish. They are cheap, easy to replace and damned good cannon fodder when the need arises. For maximum effect you will want to master the defensive bushido arts and have an infantry general leading them. If you have improved replenishment you can take a well defended province one turn, repair the castle / replace losses and be moving on the next.

Beyond that... if you choose to fight out the battles it will be to your benefit to have at least light cav early on. While your wall of stick armed peasants keeps the enemy distracted your light cav can swing around the back and charge for a large morale hit. It is better to keep cav back / unmoving until you are ready to attack, otherwise the AI will pick up on it and move to counter.

Troops: During your first 20 to 30 turns don't bother too much with advanced troops unless you feel like it, ashigaru units are fine and cheap.
    Always try to kill the enemy general as his death most of the time will mean immediate mass rout for the enemy.
    Later on, try to get gunpowder mastery in the bushido tree so you can recruit matchlock ashigarus, which are both cheap to maintain and very effective at killing enemies.

Economy: Try to get into trade with everyone whos neutral or on your side, send out some single bow kobayas to recon the map for trade partners.
    Get trade ships on trade lanes, your income will skyrocket if you possess a few of them.
    Always make sure you have enough food. And decent quality roads

Politics: Try to focus on fighting one enemy at a time in the beginning. Prepare for the realm divide event (happens around the time when you capture about 16 provinces).
    Only ally when you are sure you won't get into conflict any time soon, breaking alliances brings political punishment as the other clans will dislike you for it and your daimyo will loose honor which in turn will make your other generals less loyal.
    Don't create too many vassals, as they will most likely turn on you a while after the realm divide event.
    It's perfectly possible to maintain alliances with important clans long after the realm divide event by use of gifts, marriages etc.

That's all for now, maybe later on more will come to mind.
    Last edited by Equilibrium; March 20, 2011 at 06:57 PM.

Early on try to only conquer a certain sphere, as this makes it much easier to manage wars and politics without akward borders. Besides, if you empire looks like a spider it is easy for the enemy to split your forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Valenzuela View Post
    thought Id add to this instead of making new thread....

well here is an awesome tip for any lvl of difficulty however is a INCREDIBLE tip for playing on Legendary.....

Sabotage your friends Farm next to your lands. There is a very HIGH chance it will rebel and allow you to take it from the rebels =) and you can also do it to your enemys =)
    yes absolutely this, sabotage and riots, especially against christian clans, the monk and the ninjas are an awesome asset, especially on legendary where you can take whole provinces without even being at war,
    even off your allies, they will even help you take the town they just lost to the "rebels"
    lol, what a game. legendary is the way.

lots of units - attacks = SUPER FREQUENT, and because of the way a fog of war works = can't see